12 Books - Author Led Business Book Group discussion

Miscellaneous > Management Books

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sia (new)

Sia (siak) What have you read that is a really good practical insightful book on management, specifically managing a professional firm?

message 2: by John (new)

John Sherman | 13 comments there are different types of professional firms, how you manage consultants, sales, production, creative etc., is one component is setting an effective style

Thats' not the only element, but one that should be addressed almost from beginning

message 3: by Jacob (new)

Jacob (paulsen) | 245 comments I really like all of Marcus Buckingham's books on management and leadership. Start with "First Break All the Rules"

message 4: by Sia (new)

Sia (siak) Jacob wrote: "I really like all of Marcus Buckingham's books on management and leadership. Start with "First Break All the Rules""

Thanks!

message 5: by Sia (new)

Sia (siak) John, it's a law firm.

message 6: by Gene (new)

Gene Babon | 14 comments I suggest A Sense of Urgency. I gave it five stars and I'm stingy with that fifth star!

message 7: by Sia (new)

Sia (siak) Ha! Thanks!!

message 8: by Charlene (new)

Charlene | 2 comments Regardless of the type of firm or industry, here are some books I have found to be helpful in managing (and dealing with) others.

Death by Meeting is a good, quick, insightful read.

How to Win Friends and Influence People

message 9: by Sia (new)

Sia (siak) Thx! Death by Meeting sounds pretty interesting. I forgot about How to .... I'll have to read that again. It's been a long time since I first read it.

message 10: by Greg (new)

Greg I agree with your recommendation of Death By Meeting...one of the best books on the strategic use of meetings (rather than how to run a meeting, though it includes that also) that I have seen. I would alsor ecommend Lencioni's Five Dysfunctions of a Team which I use in my classes on team leadership.

Greg

Charlene wrote: "Regardless of the type of firm or industry, here are some books I have found to be helpful in managing (and dealing with) others.

Death by Meeting is a good, quick, insightful read.

How to..."

message 11: by Jacob (new)

Jacob (paulsen) | 245 comments Thats the first I've heard of the "Death by Meeting" book. Sounds really great! Thanks everyone!

12 Books - Author Led Business Book Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Sense of Urgency (other topics)