Clive Cussler discussion

Which BOOK is/are your favourites

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly75149) | 6 comments Dirk will always be my favorite, but Cabrillo and the Oregon Files are a close second. Raise the Titanic is my favorite Dirk Pitt novel, probably because it was the first one I read that got me hooked on the series. I really enjoy the Isaac Bell series, but the Steve Austin books always seem like a pale imitation of Dirk.

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri Wright (terrilovestoread) | 8 comments Ah Clive, let me count the ways . . .

I'm a Kimberly clone. I read Raise the Titanic first although it's not my favorite. That is reserved for Night Probe. I don't know what it is about that book that I like so much, but it's my fave!

I too am a big fan of the Oregon Files series. I like Kurt Austin and his cronies but not as much as Dirk and his. I also like the new Isaac Bell books.

As much as I love Dirk and co, it does stretch the imagination to think he can continue the rough and tumble lifestyle as he has aged, but I certainly miss him and Al.

I take it that you, Alexandria, are an NCIS fan? Do you like NCIS LA?

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly75149) | 6 comments Alexandria wrote: "It's Kurt Austin - not Steve Austin - NOT the 6 million dollar man!! LOL

Oops! Brain hiccup! Plus I'm dating myself. lol I too love the Trouts. I love the way they compliment each other. I think of Dirk Jr not so much as a pale imitation, but rather an inexperienced Dirk. When we first met him he already had world experiences from being in the military that Dirk and Summer didn't have. He already had a streak of necessary toughness that his kids haven't aquired.

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly75149) | 6 comments Terri wrote: "Ah Clive, let me count the ways . . .

I'm a Kimberly clone. I read Raise the Titanic first although it's not my favorite. That is reserved for Night Probe. I don't know what it is about that bo..."

Terri, I think we're twins separated at birth. lol I adore NCIS & NCIS LA. Would you also happen to be a Robert Ludlum fan? :)

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri Wright (terrilovestoread) | 8 comments Kimberly wrote: "Terri wrote: "Ah Clive, let me count the ways . . .

I'm a Kimberly clone. I read Raise the Titanic first although it's not my favorite. That is reserved for Night Probe. I don't know what it ..."

You know, I've not read any Ludlum. I'm going to have to put him on my list. What would you suggest as a good first read?

message 6: by Terri (new)

Terri Wright (terrilovestoread) | 8 comments Alexandria wrote: "I too am a huge NCIS and NCIS:LA fan - which is why Abby is my avatar. I just dont get to watch these programs very often."

I thought you had to be a Pauly Perrette fan at least to use her pic. Alexandria, you need to get a DVR to record them . . . or do you live in an area that you don't get the programming? My favorite trick is to record both NCIS' and The Good Wife, but start watching the recordings at about 8:45 pm. Then I can watch all three back to back to back and don't have to watch any pesky commercials!!

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri Wright (terrilovestoread) | 8 comments I don't know of anything else she's been in.

I'm warming up to Kurt. The latest book in his series was better. It would take alot to move him ahead of Dirk for me, but never say never!

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly75149) | 6 comments My favorite LUDLUM ROBERT is by far The Bourne Identitybecause of the two follow on books. It's the only trilogy that he wrote and I think it was one of his best. Unfortunately, since his death, his family allowed the movies to be made, which stray so far from the books that if you saw them you can easily read the books and not confuse them. He was by far the master of the spy thriller, but you have to also remember that a great many of his books were written before the end of the Cold War.

message 9: by Terri (new)

Terri Wright (terrilovestoread) | 8 comments Kimberly wrote: "My favorite LUDLUM ROBERT is by far The Bourne Identitybecause of the two follow on books. It's the only trilogy that he wrote and I think it was one of his best. Unf..."

Well, I loved the movies so I'll probably read the trilogy. Generally, I can enjoy both book and movie independently, so I'm sure I'll enjoy the books. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

message 10: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Slater | 7 comments Inca Gold I think by a short head

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian Kharitonov (iankharitonov) | 2 comments Hi Alexandria, great to see a Cussler group here!
My favorite Dirk Pitt books are RTT, vixen, Night Probe, Treasure, Inca Gold and Shock Wave. But a part of me wants to put Treasure of Khan as number one because a character there was named after me lol

message 12: by Matt (new)

Matt | 2 comments a few votes for Treasure of Khan, it's my least favourite! Valhalla Rising and Trojan Odyssey are my 2 faves

message 13: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Solomon | 2 comments The Treasure Hunter books are my favorite. The fictionalization of the wreck, then the non-fiction account of the NUMA foundation salvage is Outstanding!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I really loved Flood Tide (the first one I ever read) but I really love the Isaac Bell adventures.

message 15: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 6 comments "Raise the Titanic" and "Night Probe"; Raise the Titanic because it's the first Clive Cussler book I ever read, and Night Probe was my favorite story.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Clive Cussler has so many books now and all of them rock! I was looking at them all and cannot say I disliked any of them. I am reading Cyclops right now and it is awesome.

message 17: by Liz (new)

Liz (normaliz) | 3 comments I really enjoyed the first Sea Hunters book. The way he starts each chapter with the original event (making it seem like you're really there, experiencing it) and then describes the hunt for the sunken ship (or buried train, in one case). For some reason, the second book didn't seem as exciting.

message 18: by Theo82 (new)

Theo82 | 1 comments I have been reading Clive cussler since 2010. Have read all dirk Pitt, numa, Oregon files and the best is Atlantis found, the storm and golden Buddha. I have now started with Fargo and so far very impressed.

message 19: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) My favorite is The Wrecker in the Isaac Bell series.

message 20: by Liz (new)

Liz (normaliz) | 3 comments I just started "The Bootlegger." Exciting so far!

message 21: by Madison (new)

Madison (Maddylouisepitt) | 2 comments Out of the Dirk Pitt novels I love Vixen 03, Treasure, Inca Gold and Black Wind the most but I do love them all. And out of the Fargo adventures I love lost empire and the tombs (in love with the closing 4 chapters at their house in California). Again I must state I LOVE all the Dirk Pitt and Fargo novels. Although I haven't read it the Kurt Austin novel Zero Hour sounds really interesting with lots of dirk Pitt scenes and alot of time spent in Australia.

message 22: by Anita (new)

Anita Renaghan (goodreadscomanitarenaghan) | 6 comments I have been reading Clive Cussler for 20 years, and I loved Dirk and Al and all of their adventures, but I stopped reading the series when It was turned into Dirk Jr. and Summer. I do think that Kurt Austin picked up where Dirk left off and there is a good cast of characters in those books too. I wouldn't know where to start in choosing my favorite Dirk Pitt book, but the ending that comes to mind is the one where he rolls out of the ocean when everyone thinks he's dead, and he'd survived on a bologna sandwich. I can't remember which one off hand though.

message 23: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 6 comments That was "Shock wave"

message 24: by Anita (new)

Anita Renaghan (goodreadscomanitarenaghan) | 6 comments Bruce wrote: "That was "Shock wave""

Thank you, Bruce. Yes, that has to be my favorite. I will have to find time to re-read it even though I've read through the series a couple of times. Adventure never gets old!

message 25: by Alan (new)

Alan | 3 comments Vixen 03 was the first Clive Cussler book I read and immediately became a fan, have recently started listening to as many audio books that I can get my hands on. NUMA rocks

message 26: by Vaelin (new)

Vaelin How good is Michael Pritchard narrating the audiobooks??!?! Love the voice

Fave books so far are: Night Probe and Deep Six

message 27: by Vaelin (new)

Vaelin Theo82 wrote: "I have been reading Clive cussler since 2010. Have read all dirk Pitt, numa, Oregon files and the best is Atlantis found, the storm and golden Buddha. I have now started with Fargo and so far ver..."

I think you are the only person ive seen who likes golden Buddha.....a unique person

message 28: by Bob (new)

Bob Taylor | 1 comments Vaelin wrote: "Theo82 wrote: "I have been reading Clive cussler since 2010. Have read all dirk Pitt, numa, Oregon files and the best is Atlantis found, the storm and golden Buddha. I have now started with Fargo..."

Vaelin wrote: "Theo82 wrote: "I have been reading Clive cussler since 2010. Have read all dirk Pitt, numa, Oregon files and the best is Atlantis found, the storm and golden Buddha. I have now started with Fargo..."

Vaelin wrote: "How good is Michael Pritchard narrating the audiobooks??!?! Love the voice

Fave books so far are: Night Probe and Deep Six"

I've read almost all of the books in every series. I just have a couple of Dirk Pitt stories to go. I think the two latest series, Isaac Bell and The Fargos, are the best, in that order. That being said, Golden Budda was my first and turned this Cussler virgin into an avid fan.

message 29: by Nathan (last edited Aug 18, 2015 01:45PM) (new)

Nathan Beck | 2 comments I really like the Fargos. The first 3 were my favorite, and when he switched co-authors it lost its feel. But I'm still looking forward to "The Solomon Curse".

message 30: by C.P.Keyser (new)

C.P.Keyser | 1 comments I just started reading Clive this month and I've read Atlantis Found, Inca Gold and Shock Wave. All were very good, but Atlantis Found might be the winner, but I loved Shock Wave. Tough call, I'll update after I read some more.