What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED!: 4 YA books: series; cambodia war book; boy with horse in Morocco; working boy in U.S. [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Rachael | 6 comments There are three books and a book series that I've been trying to remember the names of.

1. Series: About a boy in Utah who got into a lot of trouble, went to parochial (or maybe Mormon) school and got lots of demerits. Some other events were when basketball came, the first indoor bathroom in town, and a man with a wooden leg.

2. Cambodia war: During the war in Cambodia with the Khmer Rouge. About a boy who was separated from his family (he might have been with his little brother) and was trying to get to Phnom Pehn (?). He had to travel a long distance, once by bike; saw Angkor Wat; and met a girl in a deserted city.

3. Boy with horse: About a deaf/mute working in the sultan's stable in Morocco. The horse is sold to some Spaniard, so he goes with it. This book talks about how their life went from great to awful and full of suffering (they ended up doing manual labor).

4. Boy in US: I don't remember much about this book. It was before labor laws and there was a boy who had to work in a factory of some sort and had to walk there everyday. There was also some old man who hid his money in his barn (the boy might have gone looking for it). That's about all I've got.

I would appreciate any help!

message 2: by Rach (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Rach (brisgirl) | 11 comments Hey Rachael,

It sounds like No 3 on your list is "King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian" by Marguerite Henry

http://www.amazon.com/King-Wind-Story...

message 3: by Peggy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Peggy | 21 comments Hi Rachael,

Number one might be a series of books by John D. Fitzgerald called The Great Brain. The Fitzgerald's were one of the few catholic families in Utah and the boys get sent off to a Jesuit school in book 4, I think.

The Great Brain, More Adventures of the Great Brain, Me and My Little Brain, The Great Brain at the Academy and The Great Brain Reforms were the 5 I've read, and I've seen listings for The Great Brain Does It Again and The Great Brain is Back.

message 4: by Rachael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Rachael | 6 comments Those are both right! Thank you sooo much!! I'm excited that I finally know what two of these are!

message 5: by ScottK (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

ScottK | 28 comments AHHHH the Great Brain , thnak you guys answered my post about the Young Adult book that I posted on here a couple of days ago !! So far this group is awesome !!

message 6: by Claire Michie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Claire Michie | 22 comments #3 is definitely King of the Wind, what a great book!

message 7: by Recynd (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Recynd | 18 comments Okay...I HAVE #2; now to find it...just a sec...

message 8: by Recynd (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Recynd | 18 comments Could it be either "The Aquariums of Pyongyang" or "A Blessing Over Ashes"?

Those are the two I found quickly; I've read probably 10 Khmer Rouge recounts...my memory is shameful.

message 9: by Rachael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Rachael | 6 comments No, unfortunately neither of those are it.

message 10: by Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (KristatheKrazyKataloguer) | 104 comments Could #2 be The Clay Marble by Minfong Ho?

message 11: by Rachael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

Rachael | 6 comments That's not it either. I haven't looked very hard, so maybe I'll do some more Googling and see if I can find it. Thanks for trying though!

message 12: by Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (KristatheKrazyKataloguer) | 104 comments Ok, how about Little Brother by Allan Baillie?
Here's the plot summary from Children's Literature Comprehensive Database: "In Cambodia after the Vietnamese War, Vithy learns to overcome social upheaval, a hostile jungle, and his own inability to trust, in order to rescue his older brother."

message 13: by Rachael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Rachael | 6 comments That's it! As soon as I saw the title, it sounded familiar, and then I checked out a long plot summary to make sure. Thank you so much!