Les Nuages de Phoenix Les Nuages de Phoenix discussion

How a SF book can win a general-literature prize

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michèle Les Nuages de Phoenix (Clouds of Phoenix) won a general-literature prize, The Cécile Gagnon, in Québec in 2001. The prize rewards a first YA or children's book by an author. Usually, science-fiction is not much considered, so this book was very lucky.

Jury members told the author: I do not like SF but I liked the story and characters!

The novel had a hard-SF setting, but with a convoluted plot and likable characters. Sometimes, when writing for the young, you tend to have good children characters and pasty, cardboard adults often acting as props.

As I had adults in mind when writing this story, my related adult characters were also convincing and moving.

message 2: by Michèle (last edited Feb 23, 2010 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michèle Two of my SF books achieved the short-lists of gen-lit prizes :

La quête de Chaaas, was a finalist of:

- Ontario Trillium Awards 2009
- YA Readership Award of Radio-Canada 2008!

Les vents de Tammerlan was a finalist of:

- GG awards for Canadian children's lit.

One of my Jules-Verne saga books was a finalist at a college students literary prize, but I don't remember which one... The problem with young students rating the books, is that they tend to follow the trends of what is or not "literary" books, or choose the very popular works.

As only one student on 20 will "naturally" float towars SF books (as observed from my signing table at tons of book fairs), it is almost impossible to reach the prize!

Well, a motivation to write better science-fiction!