Beyond Reality discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General - Group Business > Nominations for May!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (last edited Feb 19, 2010 04:19PM) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

It's time to make your nominations for our May 2010 Books of the Month. As always, every member may nominate one SF and/or one fantasy novel, by posting a reply to this message with the title and author of the novel. Please also let us know why you're nominating the novel - it may help motivate people to vote for it! Almost any SFF novel is eligible: an old favorite, something you've just read and would like to discuss, something on your to-read shelf. You can also re-nominate any book that was nominated before but didn't win. We'll take nominations until Feb. 20th.

Stefan

NOMINATIONS SO FAR:

FANTASY:

The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (sandi)
Lion of Senet by Jennifer Fallon (anomander)
Ariel by Steven R. Boyett (ken)
Nation by Terry Pratchett (chris)
Nobody's Son by Sean Stewart (nick)
Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch (blackrose)

SCIENCE FICTION:
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (sandi)
Old Man's War by John Scalzi (laurel)
Moving Mars by Greg Bear (anomander)
Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton (ken)
The Children of Men by P.D. James (chris)
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (bookbrow)

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments For fantasy, I'm currently listening to The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett. It is so good so far. It's fantasy with a post-apocalyptic The Grapes of Wrath kind of setting. I think it would make a good read for the group.

For science fiction, I've been wanting to read the classic, Flowers for Algernon. I think I read it in high school, but I don't remember for sure.

message 3: by Laurel (new)

Laurel May I nominate:

Old Man's War for Science Fiction

message 4: by Anomander (new)

Anomander | 35 comments My nominations:

Science Fiction: Moving Mars by Greg Bear

Fantasy: Lion of Senet by Jennifer Fallon

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Hmm

Lets try this again
Ariel: A Book of the Change by Steven R. Boyett
I am thinking this is Urban Fantasy

for SF
Fallen Dragon Peter F. Hamilton

message 7: by Laurel (last edited Feb 16, 2010 08:18AM) (new)

Laurel Guy Gavriel Kay's book "Under Heaven" comes out March 30th. Is that too soon to nominate it as my fantasy choice?

message 8: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Yes - books are only eligible if they are available at the time of nomination, because we want to make sure everyone has enough time to find and read the book. Also, both my advance review copy and Amazon list the US publication date as April 27th.

message 9: by Laurel (new)

Laurel That makes sense. I'll hold my nomination for a later date.

I guess that Under Heaven must come out a bit earlier in Canada. I'll happily be standing in line at his signing, mid April, to get his entire library signed!

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill (reedye) | 56 comments And UK April 29th.

message 11: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments I'd like to nominate for fantasy Nobody's Son by Sean Stewart. I've only met Sean briefly at a lecture he gave, but he has a way of speaking of Tolkien and Jack London in the same breath that makes it seem like everybody should. This is an early work of his that shows this off wonderfully.

(In his more recent books, he's put voodoo in the mix -- a result of living in Houston for a while, I think; he has an award-winning novel called "Galveston." But I believe he's moved away from there now, though whether back to his native Canada or not I don't know.)

message 12: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Laurel wrote: "I guess that Under Heaven must come out a bit earlier in Canada. I'll happily be standing in line at his signing, mid April, to get ..."

you would think so. Apparently Michelle West latest book is available in the US, but you cant get it in Canada yet

message 13: by Bookbrow (last edited Feb 16, 2010 07:25PM) (new)

Bookbrow | 93 comments I just loved Fallen Dragon & Old Man's War, two excellent choices.

Can I nominate for Sci- Fi I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

For Fantasy The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

message 14: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Last day to add nominations! I've added everything to the first post in the list so far, and will set up the polls tomorrow.

FYI, we have two nominations that have been Books of the Month before - Old Man's War and The Lies of Locke Lamora. That's not against the rules, but I thought I'd point it out in case you wanted to change that nomination.

message 15: by Bookbrow (last edited Feb 19, 2010 02:40PM) (new)

Bookbrow | 93 comments Stefan wrote: "Last day to add nominations! I've added everything to the first post in the list so far, and will set up the polls tomorrow.

FYI, we have two nominations that have been Books of the Month before ..."

Apologies, I'll check previous books of the month next time, please withdraw my nomination of The Lies of Locke Lamora Thanks.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Well, in that case, I'll go ahead and nominate Red Seas Under Red Skies - Book 2 of the Gentlemen Bastards series - for fantasy. I have it sitting here waiting to be read, but I think I need a little extra motivation to get it started...

message 17: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

The polls are up - please go vote!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.