Witches, Weres, and Vamps, Oh MY! discussion

Group Read Discussions > The Alchemy of Stone - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) | 1166 comments Mod
Feel free to discuss any part of The Alchemy Of Stone in this thread. SPOILERS ARE OK

message 2: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 29 comments I am almost done reading. This is taking me longer than usual to read because I find I keep needing to take breaks. Not because it is uninteresting, but because I find it intense, actually. I get such a sense of foreboding as I read.

message 3: by Elena (new)

Elena I took me longer than usual to read it also. It was sometimes hard to follow the story, maybe because I really was not much into it, and had to go back and reread some paragraphs.

My favorite parts were the ones where the gargoyles spoke. I didn't care for any of the other characters. I came to feel for Maddy though and was sad at the end.

The cover says this book is "gorgeous meditation on what it means to be human". You need to meditate about it to feel it. It is not right out written on the pages. It will surely stay with me for a while.

message 4: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 29 comments I felt very deeply for Mattie and her quest for her key. The story felt so sad for me -- actually too sad. Mattie was like a child in some ways, and like every woman in others. The ultimate outsider and chattel. I thought that the mixture of resentment and loyalty she had for Loharri was so very realistic.

I also thought the atmosphere was very Russian, -- so grim and gloomy. The class oppression; the squalid violence of revolution.

I wonder if the gargoyles are any better off after their transformation?

message 5: by Elena (last edited Feb 19, 2010 01:19PM) (new)

Elena I don't think the gargoyles are any better. They did regret the decision. They felt they were rotting and were reduced to immaterial souls.

I thought the souls were to finally be liberated after the Soulbreather died. But by being transferred to the gargoyles, I guess that now it will never happen?

message 6: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) | 1166 comments Mod
I feel strange saying that a book about a robot that helps gargoyles felt realistic but it did. I LOVED this book. Part of why I loved it was because it is so very different from what I've read in the past and was just what I was in the mood for.

I felt for Mattie's quest for her key as well. I think I would've seriously considered taking Loharri's life had I been in her shoes. With her alchemy skills there had to have been something she could've done that wouldn't have led suspicion to herself. (okay, I probably wouldn't have killed him either but I'd REALLY REALLY want to).

I'm not sure the Gargoyles were any better off in skin over stone. It felt like they exchanged one weakness for another. I would rather be weak in skin than risk staying stone when I slept - so I see their plight.

The Soul-Smoker was a scary character. Not because Ilmarekh was a scary man but his power was. Goodness gracious, I'd stay away from him as well! poor guy.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin (wandermere) I read this sometime in January I think. I really liked it, I thought the writing was beautiful. Overall I just really liked the world. It was quite spectacular in my opinion.