Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Read cute short-short Valentine stories

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (last edited Feb 16, 2010 09:45AM) (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2758 comments Mod
NOTE -- The Writing Challenge below is underway and we have several fun entries. If you want to read some short-short stories, drop over and give the authors some encouragement. It's not too late to write an entry yourself. The contest is open until the end of Thursday.
writing challenge

Join me in a Pink Valentine Writing challenge -- a mini story could win you the gift card. The contest is being held on the eHarlequin community web site in the Love Inspired section. We did a harvest challenge last fall and it was so much fun we decided to do one for their after-Valentine party this week.

Details can be found here:
http://community.eharlequin.com/forums/s...

message 2: by JanetTronstad (last edited Feb 15, 2010 01:05PM) (new)

Here's the full information -- the entries are starting to come in so sharpen your pencil.

Take the 250-word Pink Valentine Challenge. Write a short, short story that includes a dry creek (in honor of my long-standing series by that name), a frilly pink Valentine, a metal frying pan, and a kiss. We'll start on Monday February 15th and all entries must be posted by midnight Eastern Thursday February 18th. Janet will pick the winner and announce her/him on Friday February 19th. The prize is a $25 Barnes and Noble gift card. Your story can be funny, suspenseful, or sweet -- contemporary, historical or futuristic.

Click the link above to enter your story.

message 3: by JanetTronstad (new)

As I noted above, we've had several cute entries. Stop by and read them if you get a chance.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I have no time to write anything worth reading this week, but i'm gonna go check other's out!

message 5: by JanetTronstad (new)

Jennifer -- it's always fun to see how different people use some of the same words and come up with such different stories.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I agree! I just read them. You've got some good ones to chose from!

message 7: by Patsy (new)

Patsy | 217 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "Here's the full information -- the entries are starting to come in so sharpen your pencil.

Take the 250-word Pink Valentine Challenge. Write a short, short story that includes a dry creek (in ..."

Janet, I have written a short story, but when I go the website it says I am not authorized to leave a comment. How do I submit my story?

message 8: by JanetTronstad (new)

Patsy, you need to register with the eHarlequin site to post to it. I am assuming an icon comes up if you are not a member and asks you to join. If you still have problems, you can post your story here and I will transfer it to eHarlequin.

message 9: by Patsy (new)

Patsy | 217 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "Patsy, you need to register with the eHarlequin site to post to it. I am assuming an icon comes up if you are not a member and asks you to join. If you still have problems, you can post your story..."

Janet, I'm having trouble registering.So I'll just post my story here and let you transfer it. Thanks.

A Dry Creek Valentine

Emma Grace couldn’t believe it. Kyle had forgotten Valentine’s Day. Oh well, just as well, she didn’t expect anything anyway. Their relationship seemed to be one-sided lately. Although there was always hope. Even though the town of Dry Creek was named Harmony it seemed love was not in the air for her. Working at Harmony’s general store took a lot of her free time. And with Kyle dealing with cattle problems lately there was no time for romance. Kyle could swoon any woman with those sky blue eyes of his. They certainly made her heart jump. Just because he was any woman’s dream didn’t mean he was Harmony’s most romantic man. “Oh well, time to quick feeling sorry for myself and get back to work stocking the store”, Emma said, talking to no one in particular. Emma Grace began putting up stock that had been delivered to the store. Before she could put out any more stock, she had to move those heavy iron skillets. How she wished Kyle were here to help. As she began moving the skillets, she noticed something that had fallen in between them. “Oh, for lands sake!” Emma Grace shouted, “What is that?” She picked up the most beautiful pink valentine she had ever seen. Upon opening it she began to read, “to my beautiful Emma Grace, forever yours, Kyle”. Maybe there was hope for true love after all.

message 10: by JanetTronstad (new)

Good work, Patsy. I posted your story on eHarlequin for you.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I liked it Patsy!

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie | 40 comments Great job Patsy! :)

message 13: by Heidi (last edited Feb 16, 2010 10:47PM) (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Way to go Patsy, well written! :)

message 14: by JanetTronstad (new)

If you haven't had a chance to go read the entries, there are ten of them now! It's cool to see how different they all are --

message 15: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Wish I had time this week, I so wanted to enter! Hope you'll do it again. :)

message 16: by JanetTronstad (new)

I'll post here if I do it again, Melody. People do have fun with it == and it's amazing to see the entries.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Melody wrote: "Wish I had time this week, I so wanted to enter! Hope you'll do it again. :)"

Me too! But, I was consumed with four test and a math project till wednesday!

message 18: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Thanks Janet! I'd appreciate it! :)

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments So....who won?

message 20: by JanetTronstad (new)

Jennifer -- Hope Chastian won the challenge. Here's her entry.

The banks of a dry creek were no place to stake a claim. Trudging to town alongside his burro, Jed knew the reason he'd chosen it was the young widow across the way.
When they'd first met, she'd been swirling well water around in her metal frying pan.
Jed bought her a proper gold pan with ridges this trip.
"You still courting Mrs. Hill?"
Jed snorted at Sutler Bob. "Don't know as I'd rightly call it courting."
Bob nodded toward a frilly pink valentine. "Get her that and you can."
"What'd she do with a useless doodad like that?"
Bob's lugubrious face grew more serious. "She'd love it, that's what. And she might take a shine to the feller that brought it."
Jed left town with a valentine and some chocolates.
Merry saw Jed Wingate and his burro coming and took cinnamon rolls out of the oven. She prayed the pastries would reveal her feelings for him. She placed one on a plate as he approached the door.
"Mrs. Hill, I—is that for me?"
Merry nodded.
Jed's cheeks reddened. "This is for you." He thrust out the gold pan. "It's easier to use."
"Thank you."
"Oh, and this, too." He shoved something into her other hand.
A heart-shaped box and lacy card filled her with hope.
"Mrs. Hill—Merry—I'd purely admire to court you."
"I'd purely admire that, too—Jed."
Raising her work-roughened hand to his lips, Jed tenderly kissed it.
"Gold be hanged. You're my real treasure."

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments That was one I really liked! Glad she won!

message 22: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Aw, cute! :)