Beyond Reality discussion

SERIES—List & Discussions > Miles Vorkosigan--MEMORY - initial thoughts *no spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Please let us know if you've read Memory yet, and any initial thoughts. No spoilers please!

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I finished Memory (my review) about a week ago. One of the best novels in this series so far.

message 3: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 784 comments Memory shows Miles at his very best. Not only is it one of my favorites of the series (I only rank A Civil Campaign higher), but it was also the first book in the series I read.

I bought it in a box of books from a garage sale many years ago, and read it one day in a fit of boredom without realizing until I had started that it was part of a series. I believe I read it in one sitting.

I have to give Bujold kudos. It grabbed me hard and other than a brief moment at the beginning, I was never lost.

message 4: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 126 comments I loved Memory! It was classic Miles and there were some comments/situations that just made me laugh out loud (and get weird looks from my DH).

I really enjoyed watching Miles character grow in this one; I'd agree with Jon that it is one of the best books in the series.

message 5: by Staci (new)

Staci | 47 comments I just finished this one and I thought it was great. This is my favorite in the series so far. Miles is really starting to grow on me. I'm so glad I didn't give up on this series. I almost did after The Vor Game, I think it was, but I'm finding that I like each book a little bit more than the one before it.

message 6: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 2986 comments Mod
I am not very far into this book but it's not grabbing me yet. Maybe I shouldn't read and watch Olympics at the same time...

message 7: by Bookbrow (last edited Mar 04, 2010 07:44AM) (new)

Bookbrow | 93 comments I have read and enjoyed all the Vorkosigan series a few years back, being in the design business I have to say that the covers for most of this series are just brutal, in fairness they did improve as they went on but the cover for memory for this month's read is new to me and it is just ghastly, I think for the omnibus editions the covers from my foggy memory are ok. Here is a series where a new set of well designed covers would match the wonderful rich saga. A great example of not judging a book by it's cover.

On a side note it is great to see Bujold getting honoured by the group reading her series, she has always been one of my favourite authors. Here is hoping that she revisits the topic in the near future

message 8: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 486 comments On a side note it is great to see Bujold getting honoured by the group reading her series, she has always been one of my favourite authors. Hereis hoping that she revisits the topic in the near future

There's a new Miles book coming out hopefully at the end of the year (tentatively November I believe) called CryoBurn.

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1346 comments I have offically fallen behind. I tend to read Hardcovers over the winter. The rest of the year I ride a bicycle and Hardcovers are heavy.
Anyway It will be on my mass market TBR pile for Spring reading