Children's Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Picture-Book Club > March Books CHOSEN: See Selections Here!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Feb 15, 2010 07:55AM) (new)

Kathryn | 5767 comments Mod
After much deliberation (ah, the delightful difficulties of having so many good books to choose from!), I have selected the five picture books for our March theme on Outstanding Women. I've chosen these books not only because I think they were well written and illustrated but in order to reflect a variety of areas to which awesome women from around the world have made great contributions. I also tried to find books that seem widely available at libraries or online. (If your favorite nomination didn't make the list, I'll be putting up a separate thread come March where we can discuss other picture books on outstanding women. There are LOTS of other great books out there I'd love to discuss!)

Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride
1930s Washington DC; Politics; Aviation

Planting the Trees of Kenya: The Story of Wangari Maathai
Africa; Environmentalism

Mermaid Queen: The Spectacular True Story Of Annette Kellerman, Who Swam Her Way To Fame, Fortune & Swimsuit History!
Australia; Sports; Fashion; Overcoming Physical Challenges

She's Wearing a Dead Bird on Her Head!*
America; Votes for Women; Animal Rights
*Sensitive readers should note that, while not exactly graphic, this book does mention the hunting of birds for fashion and sport--which, of course, the ladies of the Audubon Society fought to prevent.

Of Numbers And Stars: The Story of Hypatia**
Egypt; Science and Mathematics; Distant History
**Caution: parents may wish to skip reading the Author's Note to their children as it discusses the murder of Hypatia--the story itself ends on a positive note.

ALTERNATE OPTION: While most nominations came in for books about women who "made history" I also feel it is very important to look at the "everyday" women who make positive contributions to the world in "small" ways. Therefore, I have chosen Sitti's Secrets as an optional selection. It is a touching and beautifully told story about a young American girl and her grandmother who lives in Palestine--a gentle message of love that transcends generations and international borders, and of the importance of peace.

Okay, there you go! You've got a few weeks to locate copies and then I'll open the discussion come March. I'm very excited and hope you enjoy these selections. Thanks for all the participation so far and the awesome suggestions! :-)

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Looks like a great list Kathryn!

message 3: by Bookish (new)

Bookish I am looking forward to it! This is my first book club discussion!

message 4: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 7227 comments Mod
Looks like a great list. I hope I can find all of the titles (or at least some of them) at my local library.

message 5: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

I'm glad you are all excited about the selections and upcoming discussions! :-) Gundula, I hope you can find all (or most!) of them at your local library. I regret not including any books on Canadian women since I know you and a few of our other members are Canadian but I had difficulty locating any at my library.

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Our library system in Toronto carries all of the books so I hope Gundula's will have them too!

message 7: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Lee wrote: "Our library system in Toronto carries all of the books so I hope Gundula's will have them too!"

Yay, great news! :-) And I hope so, too.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments I'm thrilled. I was able to reserve all 6 at the library, and my library has 5 of them; I had to use inter-library loan for only 1 book. My next trip to the library will be next Monday. It's possible some will be waiting for me and almost a sure thing that I'll be able to read all 6 before 3/1.

message 9: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Lisa wrote: "I'm thrilled. I was able to reserve all 6 at the library, and my library has 5 of them; I had to use inter-library loan for only 1 book. My next trip to the library will be next Monday. It's possib..."

Hooray!!! I really tried hard to choose books that seemed widely available--though I really based it only on my library system. Glad that, so far, it seems to be going well in other areas, too :-)

message 10: by Manybooks (last edited Feb 23, 2010 08:51AM) (new)

Well, I have only been able to find one of the titles, She's Wearing a Dead Bird on Her Head!, at the Hamilton Public Library, pretty sad. I've put a hold on the book and will definitely be reading it, but I think it's going to be impossible to find the other four titles (and the library does not seem very keen to do interlibrary loan searches). I did not expect our library system to have all of the books selected, but I honestly thought I was going to be able to locate more than just one of the selections.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Gundula wrote: "Well, I have only been able to find one of the titles, She's Wearing a Dead Bird on Her Head!, at the Hamilton Public Library, pretty sad."

Oh, that is too bad, Gundula. It's so strange that different books are available in different places. I wish all books were available everywhere, even if it meant reading some online only.

message 12: by Manybooks (new)

I know, what a pain. But, at least they had one of the titles. I guess reading them online might be an option (if the titles are available), even though it would probably be very strange to read a picture book online (the illustrations are so much a part of the reading experience).

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Gundula, I doubt these books would be available online but if they are, the pictures will be included, I would think.

I'm shocked that my library had five of the six books and I was able to get the sixth through inter-library loan. I often have difficulty having access to books I want to read, including picture books. I suspect most months I will not be as lucky.

message 14: by Manybooks (new)

Lisa wrote: "Gundula, I doubt these books would be available online but if they are, the pictures will be included, I would think.

I'm shocked that my library had five of the six books and I was able to get th..."

Lisa, I am glad that the one book my library did have was She's Wearing a Dead Bird on Her Head!, I love birds and have always despised how so many birds were killed for vanity and fashion.

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Gundula, that's too bad you didn't live a little closer to me or I could have lent you the books!

message 16: by Manybooks (new)

I know, and I'm still amazed that the Hamilton Public Library only had one of the books (and women's/girls' history is so important). Oh well.

message 17: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) | 45 comments Oh, I'm excited about the Wangari Maathai story! I'll be checking my library on Saturday.

message 18: by Lisa (last edited Feb 23, 2010 10:46PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Gundula wrote: "I know, and I'm still amazed that the Hamilton Public Library only had one of the books (and women's/girls' history is so important). Oh well."

There are so many books about women's/girl's history. It's very possible that they have many in their collection, just not these particular books.

I was going to try to read them all this weekend, but I might actually have time to read them all tomorrow. (I should be reading one of several March novels but oh well.)

message 19: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

That is too bad you could only get one book, Gundula, but I'm glad it is one you are excited about, anyway. As Lisa said, there are lots of other awesome books out there on outstanding women--some of which are on our master list here--and I do intend to create a thread to discuss those books fitting our theme but not selected for the group reads so maybe you can share some more comments there :-)

message 20: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Discussion thread is now open. Please click HERE to post comments on our six chosen books.
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.