For The L♥ve of Reading discussion

Discussions > Travel & Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 15, 2010 07:25AM) (new)

I'm a traveler enjoying local, national, and international travel. If you also enjoy traveling where do you tend to go? How do you usually travel: plane, train, car? How many books do you bring with you? When and how often do you read while on a vacation?

Do you feel like you are cheating time out of your vacation when you spend time reading instead of enjoying the sights. Or is reading a built in part of your vacation?

*Do you keep a travel journal?*

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo I travel but only for short holidays. My job means that i can't go for months at a time. I have been to many countries but mostly mediteranian kind of places as they are only a few hours flight. The last place i went was Portugal. My favourite was probably Cyprus. I took 3 books for my 1 week stay in Portugal and i came home with one unread.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I have tried every mode of travel there is. I like driving and flying. However, my boys really like amtrak. Greyhound is annoying but sometimes it is too cheap to pass up.

I always have a book. I tend to read a bit in the plane but I mostly sleep. (Especially if it is just me and the three boys. I take what ever energy I can get.) Although, I bring a book and want to read I usually don't get much done. Most vacations we spend so much time doing things and seeing things that I crash easily. Which is the whole point of going on vacation unless it is a week on the beach for relaxation. My boys are not old enough for me not to worry about them next to the ocean waves yet.

I try to write little blurbs down in my daily calendar. We tend to have photos for everyday which is nice. Instead of journaling. I scrapbook my photos and the blurbs from the trip with brochures, plane tickets, and little do dads from places visited.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you feel like you are cheating time out of your vacation when you spend time reading instead of enjoying the sights. Or is reading a built in part of your vacation?

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo I only read when i am sitting by the pool or on the beach. Living in England means that i love to get out in the sun to get a tan. Reading is better than just lying there. I try to split my time between that and seeing the sights. Sometimes i just feel like relaxing though because having a full time job can be stressful!

message 6: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) I like to travel and books have been part of travel for me for a long time. I haven't traveled much recently but if I could go anywhere in the USA I would go back to San Diego. I read on the beach the last time I was there and would do it again. I would love to go to France, Italy, and England.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't wait tell I can read without worrying. Looking every minute to make sure they are safe near the water doesn't make for enjoyable reading. They swim ok for being 8,7, & 5 but waves and currents can't be trusted. I'm thinking about spending more time camping this summer. That seems like a good idea. I can read while they fish. I wont have to worry unless I hear a splash as they fall in. LOL!

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo I can see why that would get in the way! I don't have that problem...yet!

message 9: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) I can understand that concern. I guess for me because I am single that doesn't seem to be a concern right now. I am comfortable reading anywhere though. :)

message 10: by Denise (new)

Denise (redreader) | 34 comments When ever I travel -- used to do more before marriage and child...just in US I take one to two books. I think I thinkins is part of the travel/Vac - or did...now with a child it's more about watching him and keeping up.

message 11: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) i like to travel, i dont remember the last place i went

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I do enjoy taking a book into the tub once they are sleeping. Hotel bubble bath helps loosen up the muscles. :-)

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I have never been outside of my own state. I definitely would like to travel to the other states someday. I would even like to travel to Ireland.

message 14: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 130 comments I always bring at least one book with me on any trip. I love flying. I cannot read while I am on the road or up in the air. I do read at night when everyone else is in bed.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I keep a book in the bathroom. LOL. I get that from my dad. Except he has a pile of scientific journals.