Authors Without A Yacht (AWaY) discussion

Readers' Rants > Rants About Images And Photos

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 685 comments Mod
Thank you for pointing that out, Saranna.

Do you belong to the Copyright Alliance.org ? It is free to join, and several of us belong, including Brenna Lyons and myself.

The Copyright Alliance advocates for all content owners, and I have to agree with you that photographers and models (especially male cover models) get ripped off a lot. As do musicians... but everyone thinks of music, few people think of the hunks and the photographers.

In fact, I had a running battle with my husband over Christmas where he wanted to snag a picture of a salt flats racer to illustrate a point he wanted to make in a presentation, and I told him that no way was anyone in my household going to steal a picture. I won.

The most surprising people don't know any better.

By all means, if you'd like to do so, start a topic and post links to some of the many cost effective and absolutely wonderful legal resources for images and music such as Shutterstock and Shockwave.

If you think of anything else, please feel free to start another topic in this folder.

message 2: by Rebecca J (new)

Rebecca J Vickery (rebeccajvickery) Hi Saranna and Rowena,
Great point, Saranna, and before I was "educated" I have to admit I was guilty of borrowing an image or two. But since I learned about copyright infringement and piracy, I make it a point to get my photos, music clips, and videos from legitimate, licensed sources. Some are even legitimately free for giving proper credit.
Good for you Rowena, for sticking to your guns with the husband. We all need to be more diligent about this.

message 3: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 685 comments Mod
Thank you, Rebecca J.

My ebooks have covers which are "mine" because I purchased the rights to use the photographs of the gorgeous gentlemen, and I commissioned the (somewhat minimal) artwork and font type and color etc.

The photos cost me over $2,000 of my personal money, and I know when pirates have snagged them from my website, because there's a purple/blue drop shadow on my website.