The Book Challenge discussion

a-m > Connie M's Book Challenge for 2010 - COMPLETED!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Connie (last edited Jan 01, 2011 01:09PM) (new)

Connie I am hoping to average at least one substantive book a week = 52 for 2010 (okay, maybe not all the books will be susbstantive!).

Here is my current status, as of Valentine's Day / 2010:

Update: to add 7 of the books should be "classics"!

1. Sweetwater Creek by Anne Rivers Siddons
2. Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
3. The Woman Behind the New Deal: The Life of Frances Perkins, FDR'S Secretary of Labor and His Moral Conscience by Kirstin Downey
4. The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
5. The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett - considering a "classic"
6. The Gunslinger by Stephen King
7. Dispatches from the Edge: A Memoir of War, Disasters, and Survival by Anderson Cooper

message 2: by Connie (last edited Jan 01, 2011 12:55PM) (new)

message 3: by Connie (last edited Jan 01, 2011 12:53PM) (new)

message 4: by Connie (last edited Jan 01, 2011 12:52PM) (new)

message 5: by Connie (last edited Jan 01, 2011 12:51PM) (new)

message 6: by Connie (last edited Jan 01, 2011 12:47PM) (new)

Connie 12. Charlie Wilson's War by George Crile

Cool - 40 more books to go and 5 more classics!!

message 7: by Connie (last edited Jan 01, 2011 12:44PM) (new)

message 8: by Connie (new)

Connie Completed the new "must" read for scientists / biotechnology careerists:

14. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Need to concentrate on reading some classics!

message 9: by Connie (last edited Mar 28, 2010 04:55PM) (new)

Connie Another really great book that came heartily recommended.

15. The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Now need to concentrate on fullfilling "classics" readng!

message 10: by Connie (new)

Connie 16. Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande

Okay -- really need to read some classics!

message 11: by Connie (new)

Connie 17. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote -- counting this as a 2nd classic (a "neo-classic").

message 12: by Connie (last edited Apr 05, 2010 03:06PM) (new)

Connie I liked Atul Gawande's Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science so much, moving on to his latest - Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance. So far, just as good and thought provoking!

message 13: by Connie (last edited Apr 08, 2010 10:42AM) (new)

Connie 18. Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance by Atul Gawande. I think I liked "Complications" a bit more (I like the issues and conundrums) -- even though "Better" is all about improvements...something my career involves.

message 14: by Connie (new)

Connie 19. Just finished Lost City Radio by Daniel Alarcón for a bookclub. I need to ruminate a bit before reviewing. Next will be the good ole Tom Sawyer (a classic).

message 15: by Connie (last edited Jun 26, 2010 07:43PM) (new)

Connie Gosh - Losing Ground Here!! Must be spring fever and finally seeing the sun and garden. I want to get back on track though! Perhaps my book selections are not holding my interest right now either.

Can anyone recommend some stellar reads?

message 16: by Connie (last edited Jun 26, 2010 08:39AM) (new)

Connie 20. Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters - Considering my 4th classic read!

message 18: by Connie (new)

Connie 22. Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis

Read for a bookclub. I am about 15 - 20 years too young to truly appreciate the "rebellious" and "revolutionary" nature of the book...however the sarcasm and irreverancy was amusing!

message 20: by Connie (new)

Connie 24. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley was a fun and carefree read! Now onto something a bit more heavy, The Count of Monte Cristo.

message 22: by Connie (last edited Jan 01, 2011 01:21PM) (new)

Connie Seemingly losing ground this month...but should soon add a nonfiction Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and Love and the classic The Count of Monte Cristo. Then perhaps some time with a bit more fun reads!

I did realize I had not posted completion of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain in April. So I am supplying an updated listing. 26 books read, 5 of which I am considering Classics.

1. Sweetwater Creek by Anne Rivers Siddon
2. Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
3. The Woman Behind the New Deal: The Life of Frances Perkins, FDR'S Secretary of Labor and His Moral Conscience by Kirstin Downey
4. The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
5. The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett - Classic #1
6. The Gunslinger by Stephen King
7. Dispatches from the Edge: A Memoir of War, Disasters, and Survival by Anderson Cooper
8. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
9.The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
10. The Shack by William P. Young
11. The Good Soldier by Ford Maddox Ford - Classic #2
12. Charlie Wilson's War by George Crile
13. Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession by Anne Rice.
14. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
15. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
16. Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande
17. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote -- Classic # 3
18. Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance by Atul Gawande.
19. Lost City Radio by Daniel Alarcón
20. Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain - Classic #4
21. Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters - Classic # 5
22. Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach
23. Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
24. Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
25. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
26. Panic in Level 4: Cannibals, Killer Viruses, and Other Journeys to the Edge of Science by Richard Preston

message 23: by Connie (last edited Jun 26, 2010 07:47PM) (new)

Connie 27. Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and Love by Dava Sobel. Unfortunately did not hold my interest as much as I would have liked!

message 25: by Connie (new)

Connie Still working through The Count of Monte Cristo, finished 700 of approx. 1200 pages. This would be my book 29 of 52 and 6 of 7th classic. I hope to finish within the week! So far very engaging....I love the genteel language and subtlety (for this day and age!).

message 26: by Connie (new)

Connie Nearly, nearly completed with The Count of Monte Cristo. Was going to read next Saturdayby Ian McEwan but heard from so many (with very different tastes) that it's not one of his best.

Thoughts??

message 27: by Connie (last edited Jul 25, 2010 06:14AM) (new)

Connie Yes!! Finished the story of wrong and revenge: The Count of Monte Cristo byAlexandre Dumas.

This is my book 29 for 2010 and my 6th of 7 classics.

message 28: by Connie (new)

message 29: by Connie (new)

Connie 31. Summer Fluff read of Pieces of My Sister's Life by Elizabeth Joy Arnold.

message 30: by Connie (new)

Connie 32. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Only 20 more books and 1 classic needed to meet my goal.

message 31: by Connie (new)

Connie 33. Excellent book! The Unforgiving Minute: A Soldier's Education by Craig M. Mullaney. Read for Rockville, MD Bookclub.

message 32: by Connie (new)

Connie 34. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. At 40 books I will update my listing -- with the appropriate book / author hyperlinks!

message 33: by Connie (new)

Connie 35. Broken Music by Sting. Interesting to learn of his life prior to breaking it into the music business. But not the most exciting read. I had no idea that he had such humble, working-class beginnings.

message 34: by Connie (new)

Connie 36. I hadn't really read closely that this book, The Island on Bird Street by Uri Orlev was children's literature. But it read well even by adult standards. I'd recommend it for middle to high school aged young adults.

message 36: by Connie (new)

Connie 38. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford.

Exciting -- I started this challenge over Valentines....to read 52 books this year, 7 of which must be a "classic". Completed 6 classics and 38 books so far. Too bad I have to do such mundane things as earn a living, exercise, maintain my home, etc (hee hee!). So far so good....let's see how the next 14 books go!!

message 38: by Connie (last edited Sep 29, 2010 03:11PM) (new)

Connie 40. YES!! I have been really busy at work...and will be until Thanksgiving....so glad to see some progess. I completed Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. Now to start compiling my completed reading list and finding my final classic to meet my initial challenge requirements.

message 39: by Connie (last edited Jan 01, 2011 01:44PM) (new)

message 40: by Connie (new)

Connie 42. Whispers of the Bayou by Mindy Starns Clark. Not bad -- not great...yawn.

message 41: by Connie (last edited Oct 13, 2010 05:33PM) (new)

Connie 43. When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris. Nine books (with one being a classic) to meet my challenge!

message 44: by Connie (new)

Connie 46. The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York by Deborah Blum. I've been getting concerned that I might not meet my goal....the need for extensive reading at work has been taking it's toll. However I am confident again!

message 45: by Connie (last edited Jan 01, 2011 01:48PM) (new)

Connie 47. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris.

To meet my goal (approximately a book a week in 2010) I need to read 5 more books - one of which needs to be a classic.

message 46: by Connie (last edited Jan 01, 2011 01:50PM) (new)

Connie 48. Just Kids by Patti Smith.

Updated: This was one of the best books I read in 2010.

message 47: by Connie (last edited Nov 23, 2010 08:48AM) (new)

Connie 49. Interpreter of Maladies / The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. I need 3 books - one of which must be a classic to complete my goal!

message 48: by Connie (new)

Connie 50. Run by Ann Patchett. Okay book -- not exceptional. Really enjoyed Bel Canto so much more!

message 49: by Connie (new)

Connie 51. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson. Need 1 book / 1 classic to complete goal.

message 50: by Connie (last edited Dec 06, 2010 02:51PM) (new)

Connie 52. Completed the challege I started on Valentine's Day. 52 Books this year (approximately a book a week) -- 7 of which must be classics. Finished the challenge with my final classic of The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett. Yippee Skippee! Let's see if I add any more to the year end total!

« previous 1