Beyond Reality discussion

Members' Lounge > Please Recommend Some Good Audiobooks

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I just started listening to audiobooks from Audible.com. Unlike reading something in print, and audiobook is very dependent on the match between the narrator and the story. "Warbreaker" and "The Hunger Games" could have benefited from different narrators. The narrator for "The Bone Doll's Twin" and the other two books in the trilogy was excellent.

What audiobooks have you found to be a great match? Which would you recommend avoiding? I'd really like to find some good science fiction audio as all I've listened to so far is fantasy.

message 2: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2038 comments Mod
I very rarely use audiobooks - we only use them for very long drives. Otherwise I just get impatient to get on with the story that I could read to myself much faster!

That said, we listened to the audiobook of Kindred by Octavia Butler on our last drive from Detroit (where my parents live) to Boston (where we live) and it was wonderful. We got it from the library, so I don't have it in front of me to tell you who the narrator was, but she was very good.

message 3: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 783 comments I know what you mean about the narrator for Warbreaker. It didn't sit very well with me either. You might consider the version from Graphic Audio. I borrowed it from a friend and it was so much better. (Graphic audio books are more acted than straight read but there are still very few changes in the text and the quality is superb.)

I'm just pulling these from memory, I'm not at home and so don't have access to my library, but here are some that I remember as being very well done.

The Vorkosigan books by Lois McMaster Bujold. There are a few different readers depending on where you get the audio books. Blackstone Audio (which is what Audible has) has Grover Gardner and he's pretty good. The Reader's Chair (produced audio cassets) has the team of Michael Hanson and Carol Cowan which were even better. I have a thing for deep male voices and Michael Hanson's voice can give me the shivers. :)

Anathem by Neal Stephenson. One of my top books for last year. I also liked the reader for Snowcrash.

All of Terry Pratchet's Discworld series. There are two primary readers you can run across for this series, Nigel Planer and Stephen Briggs. Both do a great job. Stephen Briggs is the voice of Discworld in my mind anymore. Another series where my preferred format is audio.

I remember liking the reader for the Connie Willis books I read last year, The Doomsday Books and To Say Nothing of the Dog, but the details are somewhat vague.

The Commonwealth series by Peter F. Hamilton (Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained) also had an excellent reader.

That's all I can remember at the moment. I'll post more if I remember any others.

message 4: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 783 comments Oh, I forgot to add. It's not Science Fiction, but I also loved the reader for Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. Also, anything Neil reads himself is also quite good.

Stephan Rudniki is another one of those deep male voices I just adore. I believe he did Ursula K LeGuin's City of Illusions. There have been others but I can't remember them off hand.

message 5: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments I only tried one audiobook which was The Davinci Code and I found it distracing and inherently comical. I thought the guy tried too hard. Are they all like that or did I just start on one that wasn't good?

message 6: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 783 comments I've never listened to it so I couldn't say. One interesting feature of Audible is that you can listen to snippets of the books online. Its really helpful to identify a bad narrator. Poke around and you can get a better feel for things.

message 7: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments ooh thanks for the tip Random!

message 8: by Staci (new)

Staci | 47 comments I've also just joined Audible, but I've been listening to audio books for a few years now through my library. I'll second Random's suggestion of listening to the preview before you buy to see how you like the narrator. A bad reader can definitely ruin a good book.

I'll also second Random's reccomendations of the Vorkosigan books. I've only listened to the Grover Gardner versions, but I think he does a great job. Also the Discworld books read by Stephen Briggs, I especially enjoyed the Tiffany Aching ones.

Some other good audio books I've listened to are the Artemis Fowl books read by Nathaniel Parker. I never would have picked these up to read, but found the audio versions great fun. I also really enjoyed Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy in audio. They were narrated by the author with a full cast of voices. I'm currently listening to Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay, read by Simon Vance, it's pretty good. I think Vance is usually a good reader. I can't think of any other good sci fi ones to reccomend, I've listened to a bunch, but none are jumping out as really good.

message 9: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 32 comments I really enjoyed listening to The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke. I've tried to get into her Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell book but haven't been able to stay focused enough. I enjoyed the audiobook of Ladies so much though, I was looking into seeing if an audiobook might be a better option for Strange as well.