fiction files redux discussion

The Greatest Literary Hoax

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martyn (last edited Feb 15, 2010 05:49AM) (new)

Martyn | 299 comments This is a very funny article on literary hoaxes from the Guardian. William Boyd's elaborate hoax is especially hilarious! Enjoy.

hoax

message 2: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

Jonathan | 609 comments Mod
. . . as i recall, our own adrian invented a fictional minor 20the century poet . . .

message 3: by Matt, e-monk (new)

Matt Comito | 386 comments Mod
glad to see that gas bag BHL got skewered

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 27 comments Martyn wrote: "This is a very funny article on literary hoaxes from the Guardian. William Boyd's elaborate hoax is especially hilarious! Enjoy.

hoax"

thanks for the article, it is very funny and shows how funny we all can be if we take some things too seriously like being in the know or who's the up and coming writers

I don't remember the source but the gist was
"You are what you pretend to be and so what you choose to be is what's important"

not the way Oscar Wilde would say it I guess but probably one of his thoughts at some time

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen | 16 comments BHL himself could have been the figment of someone's delirium...

Thank you for passing this on here, Martyn.

Has anyone read William Boyd?

message 6: by João (new)

João Camilo (jcamilo) | 259 comments When I read a few days ago, I was expecting a real great literary hoax. Maybe Yeats being some dude fom Camboja, but well... It sounds silly and just someone being stupidy and stubborn. How this works for greatest hoax in a world that saw Borges?

message 7: by Brian, just a child's imagination (new)

Brian (banoo) | 346 comments Mod
sounds kind of milli vanillish...

message 8: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

Jonathan | 609 comments Mod
. . .but brian, how do we know what milli vanilli sound like if they were lip syncing?

message 9: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Shel (shelbybower) | 946 comments Mod
Ah, the irony!