Tudor History Lovers discussion

Buddy Reads > The Children of Henry VIII - Alison Weir

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Tina and Paula, this one is for you!

message 2: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments OO!! Have fun reading, guys!!! It's a great book :)

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments Thanks Colleen!

Anyone else want to join in the fun?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1911 comments I have it, and can get to it reasonably soon (still finishing my current non-fiction, The Class of 1846: From West Point to Appomattox: Stonewall Jackson, George McClellan, and Their Br others).

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula | 85 comments Oh, Susanna! It would be great if you could join us!

I only had time to get through the prologue today but it seems very obvious that Weir favored Mary over Elizabeth. This is a different take than I'm used to so I am already hooked into the book!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1911 comments Well, I shall plug away at Class of 1846 (which is pretty interesting), and get to Children of Henry VIII immediately afterwards.

message 7: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments I have had this book for a while but I have two books to finish before I would be able to read this; one of them is another gigantor.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1911 comments Well, I have polished off the last few hundred pages of The Class of 1846, and am ready to go on this one.

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula | 85 comments How do you read so fast, Susanna? I'm always impressed by the quantity of books you read - and it's not like you read thin little toss-away books, either!

message 10: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Feb 17, 2010 03:21PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1911 comments Well, I guess I got it from my mother - she reads really fast (faster than me, actually).

Besides, I really really like reading!

(Scene from our house, c. 1974:

Me: I'm bored.
Her: Go read a book.
Me: OK!)

message 11: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments Ha!!! That's a scene out of my childhood too, Susanna!!

message 12: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments Similar to my childhood except that it would have went like this:

Me: Mom, I'm bored.
Mom: hmmm?
Me: I'm bored.
Mom: Huh? Shhh. Wait till I finish this page, then I can talk.
Me: sigh, I'll go find my own book.

message 13: by Paula (new)

Paula | 85 comments Hahaha :) I just realized I can't pinpoint it - everything lent itself to me reading constantly. I moved around a lot and there was always a library in the school even when there wasn't a friendly face. I got grounded constantly and there were always books in my room if nothing else. I couldn't afford college right after high school but I learned a ton from books out of the local library before I did go to college. It's just become who I am. I'm a reader.

message 14: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments LOL you guys!

I would always have my mom proofread my papers in grade school, I would hand over a page and she would glance at it and hand it back. I once "called" her on being inattentive at my English homework, she looked at me, summarized what I had written, and explained she was just a fast reader. I am hoping for this light speed reading ability to kick in any day now. Any day now...

message 15: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments My mom would always get mad at me especially during high school cuz I like to read in the bathtub, and sometimes I would get so wrapped up in a book that I wouldn't realize how long I had spent in there!!!! She would always be knocking on the door asking me to get out because I had been in there for an hour already!!!

I haven't changed much.....

message 16: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments I had this apartment with a beautiful claw foot tub a few years ago. I would sit in it so long the water would get lukewarm, almost cool, and I would have to let out half the bath and turn on the hot water so I could keep reading (and turning into a prune).

message 17: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments I've been inching my way through. . . not very far in, but had some thoughts. Someone tell me if they were discussed already in some other thread...

1. Does anyone know what happened to Thomas Seymour's daughter, Mary?

2. Do you think Elizabeth and Thomas had an affair and Elizabeth had a secret child by him?

message 18: by Paula (new)

Paula | 85 comments Not too far in myself, but am wondering if anyone else feels Weir has a bias towards Mary? She sure seems to think highly of her and not very highly of Elizabeth - E's accomplishments are almost offered begrudgingly.

message 19: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments Paula, I wonder if she "skimps" on Elizabeth because she has written a book or two about her?? I don't know but that could be it.

Tina, Mary Seymour isn't documented as living past a year as far as I know. There has been some speculation as to an affair between Elizabeth and Thomas!! I think we talked about it a bit on the Real Tudor History thread. Elizabeth certainly could have, she was sick for so long after being around Thomas. I personally think it was possible but not likely. In The Lady Elizabeth (Weir's novel on this) she has a miscarriage. It's interesting to think about!!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1911 comments Her The Life of Elizabeth I is very good - I read it last year.

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula | 85 comments Susanna wrote: "Her The Life of Elizabeth I is very good - I read it last year."

Is that fiction or non-fiction? Personally, I think if authors focus on a specific time period, they should then try to stick with either fiction or non. It seems to cloud things a bit when they jump back and forth.

message 22: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments It's non fiction. She has written two novels and working on a third due out in May I think. I really like her novels because unlike some other historical fiction writers I don't want to throw the book across the room because of lack of research!!! I have the Life of Elizabeth sitting on my shelf waiting for me to pick it up.

message 23: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments Just finished the first section. Goodness, Mary and Elizabeth are always ill, in bed, and too sick to travel. Glad I was born during the age of midol, tylenol, and penicillin. ;-)

message 24: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments LOL Tina I know!!! I think part of their sicknesses were feigned though. It's just a personal opinion, but I think they both used sickness as a way to get out of some things.

message 25: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments Aly wrote: "LOL Tina I know!!! I think part of their sicknesses were feigned though. It's just a personal opinion, but I think they both used sickness as a way to get out of some things."

Given what they were facing, I probably would too! Hang nail, oh dear, must get to bed. Sneeze, out for a week. . .

message 26: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments Susanna wrote: "Well, I have polished off the last few hundred pages of The Class of 1846, and am ready to go on this one."

How is the Class of 1846 going? I checked it out--looks quite good! Too bad it isn't on kindle! Sigh, I wish every book were on kindle.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1911 comments It was very good, and I recommend it.

message 28: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments I wish every book was on Kindle too, Tina!!!!

I too would have probably feigned illness to get out of a lot of things!!!! Your comment made me giggle, Tina!

message 29: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments Chapter 10 Pg 211 "When he was sixteen, Philip was married to Maria of Portugal but who died two years later, in 1545, in bearing him a son, Don Carlo, who grew up to be a vicious mental defective and died in 1568."

(Raises hand) Ummm, what's a 'vicious mental defective'? Can anyone be(have)one? Cause I know this guy. . .

message 30: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Mar 03, 2010 11:35AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1911 comments If you like opera, his story is the inspiration for the Verdi opera.

In real life he was hunchbacked, stuttered, bit people, didn't talk until he was five, tortured animals, swallowed things like diamond rings (in an attempt to kill himself - he thought diamonds were poisonous), slept on beds of ice, liked whipping girls, and tried to throw people out of windows. He also plotted against his father (rather ineptly). The combination of the Spanish Hapsburg inbreeding (he had only 6 great-great-grandparents rather than 16) and the streak of insanity in the Portuguese line was probably not an ideal one in his case.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~monarchs/madmon...

message 31: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments Susanna wrote: "If you like opera, his story is the inspiration for the Verdi opera.

In real life he was hunchbacked, stuttered, bit people, didn't talk until he was five, tortured animals, swallowed things like ..."

So you're saying he wouldn't have been in the running for People's Man of the Year?

Oh my! What a bio!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1911 comments If they made a movie out of his bio, no one would believe it! I love nutso royals.

message 33: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Tina wrote: "(Raises hand) Ummm, what's a 'vicious mental defective'? Can anyone be(have)one? Cause I know this guy. . . "

LOL Tina! I think I know the same guy!

message 34: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Susanna wrote: "If you like opera, his story is the inspiration for the Verdi opera.

In real life he was hunchbacked, stuttered, bit people, didn't talk until he was five, tortured animals, swallowed things like ..."

I've bookmarked that link for further reading on him... he sounds like a fascinating nutcase!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1911 comments There are a number of insane royals on that site - unfortunately(?) no Tudors! Though James I, "the wisest fool in Christendom," makes the list, I see.

message 36: by Beth (new)

Beth | 13 comments Sounds like too much in-breeding to me!!

message 37: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Really? They couldn't find even one insane Tudor!?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1911 comments Well, the standards were pretty high.

message 39: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments I've got to find some time to peruse that site then. Still, I would think they could find someone although in comparison to Don Carlo, Henry does sound pretty tame, doesn't he?

message 40: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Thought I'd bump this one up for the newer members. Everyone should read this one :)

message 41: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments Hurray!!!! I agree!!

message 42: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Had no idea you liked it Aly... ;)

message 43: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments haha!!! I know, I kept it a good secret LOL

message 44: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments hehe :P