Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > Happy 2nd Chickiversary!!!

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2560 comments Mod
This is our second anniversary!
Holli and I have decided on some fun things for this chickiversary!

First we would like to host a Book Mark Swap. We haven't done one of these in awhile. For those who haven't done one before anyone who is interested (and committed!) signs up. We will break up into groups of 10-12 and each person will make that many bookmarks. They then send all their bookmarks to one of us in a SASE by the decided date. We divy up the book marks and send one of each book mark back to you. In the end you will have 10-12 new book marks.
I think we will put a theme to this swap "Literary Inspriation" So you can desing your bookmark around a book quote, character, or one book.

Secret Chick exchange. You MUST be committed to this one if you wish to participate. There really is no other way to make it great for everyone. Those that want to join in will go into a pool of names. We will randomly hand out names to each who have committed to join in. Then you will send a little something (no more than 5.00) to your secret chick. I would like to do this for the remainder of the year but need your input on this. One little card or gift each month? or would you rather just do it for one month? Then at the end of the time we can come here and reveal who our secret chick was. We did it last year and it was fun. HOWEVER, for those that say they are going to participate and then don't it totally stinks for the chick waiting. PLEASE please please if you think for even a passing moment your life is too hectic to participate in this don't sign up. We would love to have you but it really is a bummer when you sign up and then someone is left waiting.

The third and final thing is always my favorite. Chicks Give Back. Last year we sent books to project night night. (which reminds me I need to get the total that we sent all year to you *note to self*)
This year I wanted to do something just as great but also a little give back to us in the process.
That is why we have decided this year to make a Chicks on Lit cookbook. Much like the ones you see at church bazaars or school fundraisers. I have found a highly recommended online company that does these. How it works is this: You go to the site and enter in your recipes. Each chick will be able to have acess to do this. A deadline will be set to get all recipes in. After that we will then take orders. Depending on how many orders will effect the cost. The one kicker that I couldn't avoid is that all the orders have to be placed by one person. So that means if you want 4 books you will need to place your order with me and then I will send in the final order and get all the books sent to me and then go about sending them all out to everyone. The fun thing about this is that any profit we make we can then donate to a charity of our choice. I have a couple of charities I would like to put up for suggestion and anyone else who wishes to participate can recommend a charity. We will then create a poll and vote on which charity we would like the profits to benefit. Not only that but you will be able to buy our cookbooks with COL recipes. I know from many of our cookbook threads that these local homemade cookbooks are often everyone's go to cookbooks. So what a great gift it would be coupled with an apron and some mixing cups.

Those are our ideas of celebrating, getting closer and giving back as we mark a second year of reading, sharing and growing together.

Thanks to each of you for making it a great year full of great discussions and wonderful friendships.

Tera and Holli

message 2: by Holli (new)

Holli Happy Anniversary to Chicks on Lit...... I know this group has done wonders for my soul and I'm truly hoping its done the same for the rest of you! Thanks to Tera for always being a woman to look to for inspiration and guidance.... (and does she know how to brainstorm or what?!)

This is going to be fun!!

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 415 comments Happy Anniversary Chicks on Lit! What a great group of women. I've made some great friends because of this group! Tera and Holli, thanks for everything you do. Because of YOU it is the group it is!

The Bookmark Swap, the Secret Chick and the Cookbook are all great ideas, and I want in on each of them!

Thanks bunches!

message 4: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments Two years, wow, where does the time go? Thank you both, Tera and Holli, for all you do here. COL is by far my favorite place to visit on the web. Tera, you've got some great ideas, and I can't wait to see them in action!!

Lots of love to all the chicks on this Valentine's and Chickiversary Day!!

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela Holland (bookaunt) Happy Anniversary Chicks on Lit!

I think all of your ideas are great and I can't wait to participate and be more involved this year, now that I am getting to know some of you.

I would love to do the secret chick and send a gift each month. What a nice thing to look forward to each month.

I love the idea of a cookbook too. I love cookbooks and am always looking for new recipes, so what a graet way and for the profit to go to a charity is even better.

Thanks for doing all of this.

message 6: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Feb 14, 2010 10:51AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Happy Happy Anniversary Chicks!

Like Holli, CoL (and CoW!) has also done wonders for my Spirit too and I thank you Tera again for creating this group! And thank you Holli, my first dear Chick friend, as well for everything you do here!

I would love to be involved in all 3 activities! Count me in!

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Happy Anniversary Chicks on Lit! Thanks to this group, I have connected with a lot of people and have made many good friends that I hope will be lifelong friends! What could get better than that? I sincerely thank you Tera for starting this group and all the work involved to keep it running smoothly!! And Holli, thanks for everything you do and for being my friend!

Love the activities you have in mind!

message 8: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (adriennemarietheresa) | 175 comments I didn't know we were so old and yet so young. haha

Happy day Chicks! You've given me a home away from home and I look forward to this year ahead with all of you.

message 9: by Holli (new)

Holli You are all so very welcome!

Glad you are loving the ideas and Tera and I can't wait to get started on implementing them this month...... watch for the threads announcing each activity.... this is gonna be fun!

message 10: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Honaker (carriehonaker) | 99 comments I am pretty new to this group, but have loved every minute. You all have inspired me to really start reading again just for fun and I also have finally picked up my writing steam. Thank you to all who have been my friends and participated in discussions with me. Happy Valentine's Day and Anniversary to such a great group of ladies!

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon2020) I would love the most the idea of a cookbook the proceeds to charity. Great idea! They all are! This one is one I know I can stick with though. And I have to say I am no good at making bookmarks (I have seen some great ones so I am an amateur!). Anyway count me in on the cookbook.

message 12: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Sharon, I am no good at making bookmarks either. People would not want to receive a bookmark I "made". But I did just post a question on that thread asking if it was okay to buy the bookmarks we sent in, for those of us who are artistically and craft challenged. If people only want homemade ones, that is okay, but I'd be happy to buy bookmarks to send it for my contribution.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I'm in on the Secret Chick - whether for a month or a year.

message 14: by Marsha (last edited Feb 14, 2010 08:40PM) (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) | 1586 comments I have to admit that I am too much of a procrastinator to be counted on for a monthly Secret Chick, but if it turns out to be a one-time event like last year, I'd happily participate.

The cookbook idea is great. I am not sure if I have any original recipes, but I'll try and think of one.

message 15: by Pam (new)

Pam (pammylee76) Happy Anniversary!!

I love the cookbook idea. I also don't know if I have any "original" recipes. But maybe I can think of one that I've "edited"?

message 16: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 415 comments The recipes don't have to be "original" do they??? I was thinking of (myself) just sending in some tried and true family favorites, cause I'm not to creative in the kitchen dept!

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Best site I have ever found. Thanks to you Holli and Tera. I love to cook, so I just love the cookbook idea.

message 18: by Holli (new)

Holli I was kinda wondering that too Tera.... about the cookbook recipes. What do you think? Tried and true faves (and quote the source) or just original recipes?

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I'm thinking we'd have to be careful of copy right issues with the cookbook recipes most likely even with giving credit (because of not getting permission to use & re-print it) but either way, I've got a few of my own in mind already!

message 20: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments I love the cookbook idea!! I've sent in many of my recipes to cookbooks just like. They are my favorite cookbooks to own. How wonderful to make one with the chicks!! Wonderful idea, Tera and Holli. Happy Anniversary!!

message 21: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments BTW ~ For a recipe to become your own, you just need to change 3 ingredients. So up some spices, reduce some, change veggies or add a meat, and the recipe is yours. =)

message 22: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2560 comments Mod
I checked and they do not have to be original recipes. Since we are not making a profit off of them I think is the reason. I would just go with tried and true recipes that you like. It doesn't have to be one you thought of all together

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) That's great Tera! Good info Mandy! :~)

message 24: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 479 comments I have a few delicious dessert recipes I would like to add to the cookbook!

message 25: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I hope I am not too late. I will do the recipes and also the gift exchange. I haven't found my calling yet in making bookmarks.

Yeah us! Two wonderful years.

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth | 163 comments Hi all,
I'd love to do the gift exchange and can definitely add some favorite recipes. I don't get onto Goodreads as often as I'd like to these days, but I love the Chicks when I do find time to be on-line! Congrats on 2 years! Many thanks to Tera and Holli!

message 27: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 654 comments Yay on bookmarks! And I like the gift exchange, too!

message 28: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 258 comments Happy Anniversary to us! I also have met some great people through this site!
I love my COL bookmakrs I have gotten in the past, but am just comitting to the cookbook part of this celebration this time!

message 29: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 654 comments Happy 2nd Anniversary! To celebrate, I added color to your image!

message 30: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Yay! Tanja's at it again!! Love it!!

message 31: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) | 1586 comments That's great, Tanja.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Tanja that looks Great!!! I love it!

message 33: by Holli (new)

Holli How cute is THAT Tanja?! Great job!!

message 34: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 654 comments Congrats on 2 years, Holli!

message 35: by Holli (new)

Holli Oh thank you!! Tera deserves ALLL the credit for CoL though.... :) She's the brains/creator behind it all. I'm just the social director! lol

message 36: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 532 comments CONGRATULATIONS, Chicks! I love this place :)

message 37: by Usako (last edited Mar 12, 2010 09:53AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 654 comments TERA!!! HOLLI!! GUESS WHAT?!?!

http://www.goodreads.com/newsletter/s...

Scroll to the very bottom! CoL is listed as one of the Most Popular Groups in March!!!

CONGRATS!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing this w/us Tanja!

Congrats Tera & Holli!!!

message 39: by Holli (new)

Holli Oh wow!!! That is so very cool..... GREAT news!!!

message 40: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2560 comments Mod
Thanks to all of you!

message 41: by Monica (new)

Monica (imelda85) Awesome!!! :)

message 42: by Cindy (last edited Mar 12, 2010 11:51PM) (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments That is very neat!! Thanks for sharing Tanja!

message 43: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) | 385 comments Ok, So I joined back up to CoL not long ago. I am again in for the Secret Swap for however long. (My chick went over the limit last year though it was much appreciated.)I wished I had read about the bookmarks sooner, I would've joined in. I love the cookbook idea. I know I will purchase several to give as gifts especially with proceeds going to charity.

Hopefully with the most stressful time of the school year coming I will be able to keep up with all that CoL has to offer. In my absences I lost touch with some awesome women...

message 44: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Kristie...glad to see you!! I bet you'll be very glad when summer gets here! ...and I agree the cookbook is just a fantastic idea!!

message 45: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) | 385 comments Cindy, yes I will. Unfortunately my summer is only 3 weeks. then we have 3 weeks of preparation before school starts again....the joys of working at my charter school.

message 46: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Mercy Kristie! Well at least you get 3 weeks, better than nothing!!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) We're always here Kristie when you're able to spend time! Glad to see you again!