Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Werewolf Romance

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mollyscribbles (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Mollyscribbles | 47 comments Has anyone read some good werewolf romances? I liked Master of Wolves, Blood and Chocolate, and The Fire Rose, but tend to have trouble finding books that appeal to me. I like a story where the werewolves are neither brooding nor evil, and where the female lead is treated decently. ie, not Susan Krinard. *shudders* Mind control is not sexy.

message 2: by Darlene (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Darlene (darlenemarshall) | 4 comments I'm enjoying the "Kitty" books by Carrie Vaughn. Her werewolves seem very real, and aren't all the same--some are definitely alpha, others are finding their place in the world. But I'm not sure I'd call it romance since it's an ongoing series.

And one of my favorite werewolves isn't in a romance novel, but is in a romantic relationship. Constable Angua the werewolf in Terry Pratchett's "Guards" Discworld series is romantically involved with Corporal Carrot, and their relationship is a delight. If you haven't read Pratchett, start with "Guards! Guards!" and follow the tales of the Night Watch from there.

message 3: by Mollyscribbles (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Mollyscribbles | 47 comments *grin* I'm a huge Pratchett fan . . . though in the more recent books, there have been signs the relationship might not last, sadly. Fingers crossed!

message 4: by Sam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Sam Try Kelly Armstrong women of the otherworld series. The first book is called BITTEN, the main character Elena is a werewolf who's living in Toronto and is called back to the Pack.

message 5: by melissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

melissa (zombiegrrlie) | 1 comments If you feel like branching out into other shapeshifters, Stray by Rachel Vincent was a great book involving werecats. I also enjoyed Moon Called and Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs.

You might want to look into Lori Handeland's Night Creature series although than involve those that hunt werewolves.

message 6: by Carla (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Carla The Patricia Briggs books are great! I'm eagerly awaiting the next one.

Rebecca York's books (The Moon Series) are entertaining (although the latest one was a little disappointing). Start with Killing Moon.

message 7: by Colette (new)

Colette  (abuckeyegirlreads) | 1 comments I love Susan Krinard's books. I also discovered Moon Awakening, by Lucy Monroe which is really good. It looks like she is turning it into a series, but I believe Moon Awakening is the only one out right now.

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina I would recommend Alice Borchardt. She's written a nice little trilogy set in ancient Rome: The Silver Wolf, Night of The Wolf and The Wolf King. The first was the best but all three make for a great read.

Also, not really romance but also excellent (and I think the guy and the girl end up together) is Robert McCammon's The Wolf's Hour. It take place during WWII and the main character is an Allied spy against th Nazis. It is fast paced and fun and one review on Amazon likened it to James Bond meets Indiana Jones, which is an excellent description. But the guy is also a werewolf! so there you go!

message 9: by Stamatia (new)

Stamatia | 4 comments Kresley Cole's A Hunger Like No Other and Wicked Deeds on A Winter Night are werewolf romances
And if you like shapeshifters in general Nalini Singh starts a great series with Slave to Sensation.
Happy Hunting!!

message 10: by Inky (last edited Mar 28, 2008 11:45PM) (new)

Inky | 10 comments Sherrilyn Kenyon's Night Play is a great werewolf romance, one of my favorites from her Dark Hunter series. It can be read as a stand-alone though.

And Donna Boyd has written two novels that explore what happens when the loup-garou fall in love with humans. The books are sort of a merger between historical epic and romance, with a bit of horror thrown in. The first book is The Passion and the second is The Promise. I really liked them.

My current favorites though are the Mercy Thompson books by Patricia Briggs. The last one, Iron-Kissed, blew my socks off and what happened at the end made me tear up. Can't wait for the next one.

Oh, and I almost forgot about Keri Arthur's books, which bring together werewolves and vampires in Australia. The Riley Jenson Guardian series begins with Full Moon Rising. Her series does something really fascinating with the werewolf nightclubs sometimes frequented by Riley.

message 11: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (mlhiggins84) Patricia Briggs has a new book coming out. It is called Cry Wolf. The only thing I know is it is not a Mercy Thompson book. I don't know when it's coming out, if its the start of a new series, if it is in the same world as the Mercy books, etc... but if anyone else has any info I'd love to hear the details.

message 12: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 162 comments It's the same world. If you read the short story about Anna and Charles in On the Prowl, it starts from there. Charles is an Alpha and Anna is an Omega, which is a rare type of wolf that calms other wolves around her and allows better cooperation within a pack.

message 13: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 39 comments Eileen Wilks writes a very good series. Tempting Danger is the first one:
http://eileenwilks.com/excerpts/27.html

I love Patricia Briggs, Rachel Vincent, and Kelly Armstrong. Very good reads!

message 14: by Stamatia (new)

Stamatia | 4 comments Tempting Danger was a great book. I have the next one in the World of Lupi series I will post and let you know as soon as I read it.

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth Foster (noellekitty) | 2 comments Annemarie McKenna wrote two that are almost paranormal erotica. Seeing Eye Mate, and the sequal to it, Checkmate. They were pretty good!

message 16: by Molly (new)

Molly | 1 comments I love the Mercy Thompson series and I can't wait for Cry Wolf. I looked it up and Cry Wolf is coming out on July 29th.

message 17: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments What, no brooding? That just kills all the fun of a werewolf romance, lol.

message 18: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB (melissaann) | 16 comments I really enjoyed Rhyannon Byrd's Bloodrunners trilogy: Last Wolf Standing, Last Wolf Hunting, Last Wolf Watching.

A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole is very good (plus the rest of the series)

Night Play by Sherrilyn Kenyon

There are also the Wolf Breeds books by Lora Leigh: Elizabeth's Wolf, A Wolf's Embrace, Wolf's Hope, Jacob's Faith, Aiden's Charity (Note: The Breeds do not actually shift shape, but they do have wolf DNA and senses.)

Nalini Singh's Psy/Changling series has shape shifters

message 19: by Annette (new)

Annette | 23 comments I too am a huge werewolf/shapshifter fan but I can't take recuring characters so the majority of the books that are out in the main stream at this time aren't even tempting to me--PLUS I lean toward romance and if it even appears to be a more sci-fi book I LAY it back down.
Rather narrows my margins.
I REALLY enjoyed Christine Warren's the OTHER series-Which begins with The wolf at the door.
LORA LEIGH'S THE BREEDS series will always be my favorite -and I believe Mercury's War is being released in Sept CAN'T WAIT.
Nalini Singh (shapeshifter) is another really good series which She has a new release soon.
I really enjoyed susanne Sizemore's Primal books also -- she has a new primal book due out in oct I believe I saw on her web site.
I'm always looking for more authors also but it seems if you don't want to go to erotica you can't find any.

message 20: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Annette, I generally don't like recurring characters either, except in straight fantasy, and I agree, that does leave out a lot of books. Have you tried Autumn Dawn's Teasing Danger? I really liked that one.

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy (ashz) | 41 comments I like:
Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs,
Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs,
Howling at the Mood by Karen MacInerney,
Riley Jenson Guardian series by Keri Arthur, although sometimes it get's close to erotica.
Night Life by Caitlin Kittredge. Although that one's set in like a alternate city, so if you don't like that type of thing, you probably won't like that one.

I've hard a hard time finding werewolf books I really like. I usually settle for werewolf/vamp books where they fight or team up.

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenaf) Hi Amy - just curious, I've only read Moon Calls by Briggs - does Cry Wolf have any *more* romance to it compared to Moon? I know that moon is the first, so hopefully things will pick up in the series w/ Mercy & Adam...(or whomever!) but I am kind of bummed it didnt have a bit more.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Jennifer- The Mercy series is more fantasy than romance. The romance is a subplot and most of the story focuses around the fantasy aspect of the book. The romance builds between each book with a cliff hanger end in Iron Kissed. Cry Wolf IMO is the same although it does focus more on Anna and Charles relationship it's still more fantasy than romance.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenaf) great, thanks Jael!

message 25: by new_user (last edited Aug 21, 2008 06:01PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments @Jennifer: Hmm, well, I guess the focus in Cry Wolf is still on the main plot and the action, but I would definitely say there's much more romance in Cry Wolf than in the Mercy series. Actually that was a complaint for a lot of people who read the Mercy series for the action, lol.

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy (ashz) | 41 comments I agree with new_user, it does have more romance than Mercy's series. But if your going to read it, I suggest reading the story in On the Prowl first. It's more of the back story. I didn't and I was left wondering. I still haven't read it, but everyone tells me it fills in the blank.

message 27: by Annette (new)

Annette | 23 comments Amy
about
Riley Jenson Guardian series by Keri Arthur, although sometimes it get's close to erotica. isn't this a recurrent character--and 1st person--seems I picked it up and said nope for that very reason....but I am a pretty sale. SORRY--just old enough to know what I like ang don't in most everything-I guess that makes me a woman LOL.

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy (ashz) | 41 comments Yes, it is a recurrent character, all done in Riley's POV. I don't mind that, as long as they grow some. I don't like series when each book the same character just a different fight. Riley's grown some. That series I like mainly for the action, fight scenes are good, not the erotic part. That and it has a lot of different paranormals. Vamps, weres, shiftchangers, mixes of vamps and weres and others, plus some cloning. So it has a good mix.

message 29: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (TeresaDAmario) | 95 comments I like Larissa Ione's world - she is adding more and more shifters to hers. Her next one is all about werewolves. :) I can't wait till it comes out. I've read some teasers from it, and it looks very hot.
Teresa D'Amario
Tigress By the Tail -
http://allromanceebooks.com/product-t...
SheWolf - available at Freya's Bower NOW
http://www.freyasbower.com/content/vi...
Tigress By The Tail - July 08, Tease Publishing
http://teresadamario.com

message 30: by Lauren (last edited Jan 15, 2009 09:46PM) (new)

Lauren | 10 comments Jacquelyn Frank's Nightwalker series also involves shifters, and there's another that I read recently that involved both Dragons as well as werewolves and other sorts. I can't remember the title offhand or the author, so I'll have to get back to you on that. But seeing as recurring characters have been mentioned to not be everyone's favorite, the Nightwalker series may not be the best as the characters have a tendency to be in at least several of the books.

message 31: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Lauren, but are the main characters the same in each book?

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 10 comments For the Nightwalker series, they all focus on different people with the main characters from other books being in more supporting roles with numerous interactions usually.

message 33: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Hm, I think when people say that they don't like recurring characters, they mean main characters. At least, that's what I mean, LOL. But if other characters reappear in a secondary role, that's fine. :)

message 34: by Lauren (last edited Jan 17, 2009 03:11PM) (new)

Lauren | 10 comments As to that other book I referenced, I found it. It's called Dark Highland Fire by Kendra Leigh Castle. What's even better, in my opinion, is that this werewolf hero as well as his clan are from the Scottish highlands in addition to other fantastical elements.

message 35: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 1 comments Have you read Kelley Armstrong? Bitten is the first one of the series, there are 3 with werewolves as main characters.

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Salaiz (Jen_Salaiz) | 5 comments Has anyone read the Secrets vol. 6 ? There is a werewolf romance story in there. I had never read one before this book but i have to tell you it is now one of my favorites. Its by MaryJanice Davidson and its called Love's Prisoner. Warning though, it is classified as an Erotica, just thought i would throw that out there.

message 37: by Tymber (new)

Tymber Dalton (tymberdalton) | 29 comments I've got a were/shifter short out with Amira Press called "Dog Walk," and the sequel is coming this Friday, called "Doggy Style." (Writing as Lesli Richardson.) They are both definitely erotic. *LOL*

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) A book called "Doggy Style" erotic? No!

message 39: by Tymber (new)

Tymber Dalton (tymberdalton) | 29 comments LOL yeah, hard to imagine, right? *snicker*

It's a pun, of course. *LOL* "Dog Walk," "Doggy Style," there's another in the series that's related but not hot, just sensual, called "Puppy Dog Eyes." *LOL* So you can sense the theme, I suppose? *LOL* I'm going to write a few more too, titles in the same vein. *LOL* They're shifter wolves, but aren't all guys just big puppies? *LOL*

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Jennifer wrote: "Has anyone read the Secrets vol. 6 ? There is a werewolf romance story in there. I had never read one before this book but i have to tell you it is now one of my favorites. Its by MaryJanice Davids..."

i have read and loved the wyndam werewolf story. The elevator scene was hot/naughty

message 41: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Salaiz (Jen_Salaiz) | 5 comments Jael, i agree, I loved it!!! I even had to read it to my husband who also loved it.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) there are more but I haven't read pass Derik's Bane since the writing seemed to move from erotica.

message 43: by Tymber (new)

Tymber Dalton (tymberdalton) | 29 comments I loved Derik's Bane. That was such a neat story.

message 44: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Salaiz (Jen_Salaiz) | 5 comments I'm sorry not sure if i am misunderstaning. Is there more stories having to do with Wyndam, OMG if there is I'm putting those on my to read list.

message 45: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I liked that scene too. :D The other Wyndham wolf short is in the Secrets Vol. 8 anthology. :) Derik's Bane is the third in that series and is a full-length novel.

message 46: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Salaiz (Jen_Salaiz) | 5 comments Thank you!! I will look into it, i look forward to reading them.

message 47: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Mollyscribbles wrote: "*grin* I'm a huge Pratchett fan . . . though in the more recent books, there have been signs the relationship might not last, sadly. Fingers crossed!"

well, so far, its still going on. And Terry has announced that he has a rare for of Alzeheimers, so not sure how many more books he will be writing. I have 2 whole shelves devoted just to Terry. I LOVE Captain Carrot, MR Vimes, Nobby, and all the others. (btw, for Terry fans, they made a cartoon of Wierd Sisters, and a live action of Hogfather)

message 48: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

on the Wyndham werewolves front--Davidson has another collection of short stories (well, 4 stories in it) all set in the Betsy/Wyndham universe. And Antonia (the psychic were/human hybrid) in Derik's Bane moves to Betsy's home and appears in a couple of her stories.

message 49: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiebowen) I'll throw in a vote for Bitten as well. Elena is my favorite narrator in the series and Bitten (which is the first book in the series and works well as a stand alone) is my favorite so far.

message 50: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jan 28, 2009 01:48PM) (new)

Did anyone mention the Nina Bangs books? I actually started reading Nina's works because of a quote that someone who had a review list set up on Amazon gave for her book "A Taste of Darkness" For those interested the quote was:

Werewolves--furry pains in the butt. Were cats--sneaky whisker-twitching manipulators. Reinn hated them all. But most of all, he hated his job. Guardian of the Blood. What a crock.

I decided that any book with that passage in it HAD to be worth reading. In this series Nina has--were wolves, were-cats, were-bunnies, were-ducks, vamps (of all different sorts) harpies, gods, goddesses, humans, creatures that she made up out of her own warped imagination and urban legends that really exist in the stories. :o)

The books are all humourous (as I'm sure you gathered by that quote) but I've enjoyed all of them so far.

« previous 1