Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Reagan's 2010 list

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a bit late making this, but I've been reading heaps! So here's where I'm up to:

01. Gwen Cooper – Homer’s Odyssey (283 pg)
02. Andrew Davidson – The Gargoyle (516 pg)
03. Cormac McCarthy – The Road (307 pg)
04. Mark Haddon – The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (268pg)
05. Tess Gerritsen – Bloodstream (484pg)
06. Anne Frank – The Diary of a Young Girl (341pg, reread)
07. Ira Levin – Rosemary’s Baby (205pg)
08. Nicole Krauss – The History of Love (255pg)
09. John Marsden – Tomorrow, When the War Began (284pg, reread)
10. John Marsden – The Dead of the Night (271pg)
11. John Marsden – The Third Day, the Frost (278pg)
12. John Marsden – Darkness, Be My Friend (274pg)
13. John Marsden – Burning for Revenge (274pg)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Review of Homer's Odyssey:

First book for 2010, and I’m almost disappointed, because I’m relatively certain this is already one of the best books I’m going to read this year. This was an absolutely incredible story that made me laugh, cry and hug my cat with a newfound passion and adoration. So, so good I’m tempted to read it again right now.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Review of The Road:

I liked the story. It was gripping and entertaining. Having said that, it was disappointing. I expected complete brilliance but I got bad grammar and completely jumbled writing. The story, not the style, was enjoyable. I couldn't even relate to the characters, I found myself so uncaring of them and really annoyed with the repetition of the dialogue.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Review of The History of Love:

At first I wasn't entirely impressed with this. It was a nice story, though it seemed kind of jumbled and it just didn't interest me a whole lot. But by the last 50 pages, wow. Admiration hit me like a tonne of bricks, it really did. Absolutely beautiful. The last few pages literally took my breath away. Just amazing.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 13, 2010 06:10PM) (new)

And I'm currently reading The Night is for Hunting, book #6 in John Marsden's 'The Tomorrow' series. I read the first of this series when I was at school, but somehow never got around to the rest of them. So I borrowed them all off my friend.

I'm loving these books. Incredible story, so vivid and exciting. I'm so absorbed in these characters that I feel everything they feel: frustration, anger, relief, anything. There hasn't been a boring moment in this series. It's also slightly terrifying, I won't deny that I've had a nightmare or two about a real invasion of Australia because of Marsden.

Oh, and I'm also (slowly) reading The Lovely Bones in ebook form.

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 394 comments Reagan wrote: "Review of The Road:

I liked the story. It was gripping and entertaining. Having said that, it was disappointing. I expected complete brilliance but I got bad grammar and completely jumbled writing..."

I do kind of agree with you. It was gripping and entertaining but not the best written book I've ever read - although it got great reviews, but it seems that anything McCarthy writes does! I didn't know enough about any of the characters to really care about them. It hasn't made me want to go out and read more of MCarthy's books - alot of authors do! I did enjoy the movie No Country for Old Men though!

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 17, 2010 04:06PM) (new)

14. John Marsden - The Night is For Hunting

It seems the general opinion of this is that it's the worst of the series, since it's more about Ellie and the gang looking after the feral kids instead of attacking the enemy. I really enjoyed it, though, still had the 'oh man I just can't put this down' feeling. Just as good as the rest of the series. An excellent build up to the last book, which I'm fighting myself from opening right now: The Other Side of Dawn. I think I'm going to find myself disappointed there aren't more books when I finish the Tomorrow series! Although, I also have the Ellie Chronicles to read.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

15. John Marsden - The Other Side of Dawn

Last book of the Tomorrow series, and what an excellent ending! Ellie and the gang preparing for D-Day and the end of the war. When I really sat down to read this I could not put it down, I read 95% of it in one day. This series really was addictive, kinda disappointed it's over but relieved and excited by the fact that I'm about to begin the Ellie Chronicles, book #1 being While I Live, which places us after the end of the war and back on Ellie's farm with her parents.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

16. John Marsden - While I Live

So different to the Tomorrow series, but still highly enjoyable. We're in post-war Australia which has been divided into two countries, with exciting stories of attacks from both sides, which directly affect Ellie and the gang.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 26, 2010 11:10PM) (new)

17. Neil Gaiman - Who Killed Amanda Palmer?

Okay, I just HAD to buy this when I saw Amanda Palmer in Melbourne last night (26th of Feb) at the Forum Theater. What can I say, really? It's a collection of photographic evidence, with lyrics from the album of the same name and some stories by Neil Gaiman. Too awesome!

18. John Marsden - Incurable

You'd think I'd get bored of this, especially after reading 9 books in a row (pretty much) of the same subject. But I love every one as much as the last. This one was great, we're getting back into battles between the Liberation group and the raiding parties of the invaders. Also the truth of Gavin's past is revealed, which I found utterly fascinating.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

19. John Marsden - Circle of Flight

How satisfying. I've finished the final book of the Ellie Chonicles, which, with the Tomorrow series, has to be a group of the finest Australian young adult books I've ever read. Or will ever read, for that matter. My adventure with Ellie and her gang is over, and I loved every moment of it.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 14, 2010 12:50AM) (new)

20. John Mitchinson – The QI Book of the Dead

Usually I’m not really into non-fiction, but QI books are always the right amount of interesting and funny to keep me engrossed. It taught me a lot of things I didn’t know about a lot of people, all the while being such a fun read!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

21. Steve Niles – 28 Days Later: The Aftermath

22. Elizabeth Gilbert – Eat, Pray, Love

Okay, this really isn't the kind of book I usually buy. And after reading some reviews, I was so prepared to hate it. But I really liked it! I'm not spiritual at all, but her experiences with love, depression and loneliness were so familiar to me. Completely unexpected, but yes, I enjoyed this memoir.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

23. Tess Gerritsen - The Surgeon

This is only the second Gerritsen book I've read, but I love her writing. Again, such a light read, but absolutely engrossing. I read this in two sittings, couldn't put it down it was so good. Amazing read! Can't wait to pick up another one.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

24. Stieg Larsson - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Started off slow, but by half way I was so addicted I could barely put it down. I can see why it won so many awards, and I can't wait to buy the next two in the Millennium Trilogy.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

25. Nick Cave – And the Ass Saw the Angel

Beautifully written, and exactly what I expected from Cave: dark, disturbing and a little uncomfortable. However I found the plot pretty weak, and so it was a bit of a chore to read.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

26. Steve Hockensmith – Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls

Just as good as the first Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, if not better. A very funny and enjoyable read which introduces us to the zombie epidemic and Mr. Bennet’s training of his daughters.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

27. Stieg Larsson – The Girl Who Played with Fire

Okay, this series has to be one of the best I’ve ever read. I say that with confidence, and I haven’t even started the third one yet. Fantastic characters, so well written and such a gripping story, I could barely put this down over the past 3 days.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

28. John Boyne – The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

Plainly written, but a fairly moving book. Bruno’s naivety certainly got on my nerves, as well as the author’s use of ‘Fury’ and ‘Out-With’ (wouldn’t they sound completely different in German?). But still, Bruno’s friendship with Shmuel was touching and it’s a very thought-provoking perception of the holocaust. I can’t say the closing passage of the book didn’t make me a bit irritated, however.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

29. Kathryn Stockett – The Help

I had to buy this after reading its excellent reviews, and it far surpassed my expectations. Such a depressing read while sometimes being funny, but overall very serious and brutal. I was hooked after the first page.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

30. Stieg Larsson - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest

What an incredible trilogy. I felt disappointed that it was over when I finished the last page, and I’m sad that Larsson isn’t alive to write anything else this extraordinary. Such an engrossing, powerful story with excellent characters. I can see myself wanting to read them all over again in the near future. And I can't wait to see the movies!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

31. Lionel Shriver – We Need to Talk About Kevin
I found this to be a bit of a chore for the first ¾, but the last quarter was really amazing. An excellent read, fascinating and depressing.

32. William S. Burroughs – Naked Lunch
Looks like I’m not a fan of beat literature. I started On the Road when I was 15 and stopped after 30 miserable pages, and getting through Naked Lunch was like pulling teeth.