Terminalcoffee discussion

Side of the Milk Carton > It's Saturday night. What are you doing tonight?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 378 (378 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 13, 2010 04:57PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What are you doing on Saturday night? Are we supposed to be doing exciting things?

Saturday night, 6:56PM

I'm sitting on the hallway floor while my six year old draws. He wanted me to sit out here with his laptop because he didn't want to draw alone but he feels the hallway floor is ideal for drawing.

I'm wearing flannel pajama pants and a grey t-shirt. I'm kind of hungry. I think I'm going to read a little and fall asleep early.

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11549 comments 6:05 here. I'm on GR, son is playing in the backyard, wife is playing with her new iPod Touch.

None of us have any idea what to do for dinner.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Cold and dark here, Phil. Nobody's playing outside. Oh, wait, maybe the dogs are.

That reminds me, Phil, I got an HD Zune yesterday, and I needed, like, two hours to figure out how to put goddamn music from my external hard drive on the device.

I already had pizza. I just want some more.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Drinking Chardonnay and watching Olympics.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 13, 2010 05:16PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments imagines Larry drinking a whole lot of Chardonnay and trying to bobsled down the Omaha streets on a refrigerator box

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh yeah that's it. *sips wine*

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Apollo Ono!

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori People do things on Sat night, aside from maybe watching a movie at home, reading, taking a long luxurious bath, ordering Chinese food? I'm shocked!

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11549 comments Lori wrote: "People do things on Sat night, aside from maybe watching a movie at home, reading, taking a long luxurious bath, ordering Chinese food? I'm shocked!"

Totally jealous here.

There is NO edible Chinese food in southern Utah (save what you can make yourself), much less any take-out other than pizza.

This is, as an acquaintance is fond of reminding me, a culinary wasteland. Good thing Las Vegas is only a two hour drive away -- you can find just about everything there.

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Had the same problem the two years I lived there, Phil. P F Changs in Vegas!

There was one decent Asian place in St. George -- but can't recall the name. Out on Sunset by Albertson's. may be gone by now.

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11549 comments Albertson's at Dixie Dr. & Sunset, right? Whatever used to be there is long gone, now.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Not surprised.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments There is NO good Chinese food in Olympia. The best you can find here is Panda Express, all orange sweet and sour everything.

I am back from a day with my Mom, going to see the Jeff Bridges' movie, and eating pizza. I need to do laundry. I wish I had some chardonnay to drink while sorting socks...

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori How was the movie?

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) They have good Thai in Olympia.

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17319 comments Mod
Yeah, Jackie, how did you like it? I'm thinking about taking Grandma to see it next week.

message 17: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Yes Jackie! We're waiting with baited breath to hear how sexy Jeff is in this movie. :)

Tonight we shopped for groceries & went through all the leftover valentine's stuff. I picked out chocolates that I wanted and Jared picked out some trash food he doesn't normally get (he could care less about chocolate - mini-weiners say I love you to him!), and we bought an air popcorn machine as a family present. Now we're watching skiers and I'm wishing I had some chardonnay, darnit!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Jeff made a very good wreck of an alcoholic country music star. He still had charm, but he was such a mess you just knew he was trouble in a cowboy hat. I didn't find him particularly sexy, but I could see where someone else might.

It was a lot like The Wrestler, last year, but thankfully not quite as bleak.

message 19: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I worked for five hours covering a legislative committee, came back to my temporary digs, took a nap followed by a hot bath, then pesto pasta for dinner and three hours of British TV. I watched some old school Doctor Who (and cringed at how bad it was circa 1984) and the premiere of Survivors on BBC America. That's my entire day right there. I had planned to work in some video games but that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (navywife247) | 7 comments Saturday night and I'm cleaning. Seriously. I have no life. LOL.

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Cleaning? You were awake, Laura! Living the wild life! I was asleep by 9:00PM.

(And welcome back)

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments you got a Zune?

message 23: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 14, 2010 04:34PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yep. I like it so far. I'm anti-Apple/Itunes domination, and yes, I know Microsoft are their own evil empire, but they were the best option for what I wanted.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments you, my friend, are a rebel

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "Yep. I like it so far. I'm anti-Apple/Itunes domination, and yes, I know Microsoft are their own evil empire, but they were the best option for what I wanted."

Good on ya mate, I succumbed to Apple myself.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments If you lived in Microsoft country, like I do, you might feel differently, RA. My Mom lives in Redmond, Microsoft Ground Zero, and her property taxes are not pretty.

message 27: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments ::shudder::
Yes, we narrowly escaped Microsoftland a few years ago. But with Jared looking for a job I'm worried we'll be back up there. At least they've got good restaurants in the area. (If I remember right)

message 28: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11549 comments Cosmic Sher wrote: "::shudder::
Yes, we narrowly escaped Microsoftland a few years ago. But with Jared looking for a job I'm worried we'll be back up there. At least they've got good restaurants in the area. (If I re..."

I was in Bellevue for a good number of years, working for the Evil Empire. We're out of the state now, and there are times I really miss it. And yes, you remember right.

message 29: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 20, 2010 03:46PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, people. Almost Saturday night. Spill your plans.

I'm going to take a bath with Faulkner (er, the book) or some travel essays. And I'll probably crash kind of early. I thought about making a cake with this cool castle mold I got at a baking store today but I'll probably wait until tomorrow. Or I could go out tonight, maybe take one or two of the kids to Borders, but they'll want to buy something, not just browse, and they've been with friends all day so they'll probably just want to watch the Olympics. Oh, and I've watched the first forty-five minutes of The Hurt Locker and I could finish that as well. We'll see.

message 30: by Sally, la reina (new)

Is that out on rental already?

It's been snowing for two days here, and things are looking mighty frosty out there. I managed to scrape together some delicious stroganoff and I'm having a bowl of that with a NA Coors (the most delish, and I've tried them all) and I'm rewatching Julie and Julia.
After this I'll probably take a bath with Don DeLillo (big book, little hands. Disaster might be imminent).

message 31: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11549 comments I spent the day cleaning house (hell, I even did the baseboards today) and now my son and I are ready to read until mom comes home. She spent the day in Salt Lake, making the rounds of the malls.

message 32: by smetchie (last edited Feb 20, 2010 08:00PM) (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments had some friends over for dinner. Blue Moon Grand Cru! Opposite of Coors NA. mmmmm.

message 33: by Sally, la reina (new)

Cruel, cruel Gretchen.

message 34: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I've paid my dues. That's what makes the gloating so glorious.

message 35: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You're supposed to clean the baseboards? Hell, I didn't even know that.

Heh. I'm with Gretchen on this one. Every time I see a parent changing a diaper or something I'm like "Done my time, man. Have fun with that." I don't say it outloud, of course. But I'm not offering to change the diaper.

message 36: by Catalina (new)

Catalina | 268 comments We were going to go to a punk-collective hangar party, but we got a kitty yesterday, so we stayed in. It's going to be a long process getting her and this hyper gremlin my partner calls a dog situated. (For the record, I love Stewie in his sleepier moments.)

message 37: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments While it's technically Sunday morning, I feel obligated to report I got mildly drunk and fell asleep in the guest bedroom. I tried to get very drunk, but my heart wasn't in it an I gave up after 3.5 beers.

I hope your new kitty is well, Catalina...

message 38: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11549 comments At our house, the Mrs. was out with "the girls" for the night, so Junior and I were hanging out at home. A little Wii, a little reading, etc.

Sunday was my turn to get out, and I took advantage with a nice mid-length bike ride with friends.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I spent my Saturday night eating popcorn and sorting through books. I'm discovering that I don't really need to keep a lot of them. I'm never going to read The Joy Luck Club again, for example. Or those Jane Austen mysteries, where Jane gets to be a sleuth. :)
I'm going to make a killing at the used bookstore. At least, I hope I'm going to.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Is that how one decides which books to keep? Whether you're going to read them again?
I have some that I defend owning because they are "research".
Others because I might read them again.
Others because I haven't read them yet.
Others because I want to loan them to friends.
There are only a few that I would consider giving away or selling, but they're mostly books that I haven't read and can't give away til I read them.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments That's how I decide for some of them, Sarah Pi. Others, I keep because they have meaning for me, like Cosmos by Sagan. I just love Carl Sagan, so I'm keeping my copy, even though I may never get around to really reading it.
And if it was a gift from a friend, it stays, too.

message 42: by smetchie (last edited Mar 01, 2010 10:38AM) (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Me too. I keep books that were gifts and books that are extra lovely. The rest have to go!

message 43: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments so far i have never had to let books go. i have thought about it, but decided to buy a second bookcase instead. as long as everything fits in those two bookcases, and i don't have to move, i don't have to think about it again.

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think my problem is that I grew up in a family with library stacks in almost every room. I think they're the perfect decor for any room. Certain other parties disagree, alas.

message 45: by Sally, la reina (new)

Me too, 4.31 I used to admire my mom's library stacks and I still try to emulate them to this day.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I think books are the perfect decor, too. That doesn't mean I buy books based on their appearance, although sometimes I do.

message 47: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11549 comments Way back when, I worked in a book store. At the time, my thing was science fiction, and I managed to collect nearly every book we carried. Over time, I gave away about 11 paper grocery sacks full of books. My friends loved it, and would always ask when they could have more.

Now that I have to PAY for books, I'm not as generous as in the past. I let others borrow them but, when it's time to clear the shelves, they go to the library so they can make a wider impact.

The books are different, too, as I seem to have left my SciFi/Fantasy addiction in the past. But if it was written before the late 1980s, I've probably read it.

Anyone else like the oldies? Asimov, Clarke, Chalker, Aspirin, Anthony, Zelazny, McAvoy, Moorcock, Norton, Silverberg, et al.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yes, oh, yes, Phil to Asimov, Anthony (although he's annoyingly sexist and way too punny), McAvoy (The Book of Kells!), Norton, etc.

I would add Marion Zimmer Bradley, Katherine Kurtz, and Anne McCaffrey to your list.

message 49: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 02, 2010 05:26AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Anthony (although he's annoyingly sexist and way too punny)

!!!

Oh, you meant Piers Anthony or whoever...:)

I loved Zelazny when I was a teenager.

message 50: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11549 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Anthony (although he's annoyingly sexist and way too punny)

!!!

Oh, you meant Piers Anthony or whoever...:)"

Yes, I meant Piers. Making note of any other Anthony would have been much too Random.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8