Highlander Romance discussion

Great Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 292 (292 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Got any great recommendations for us? I'd love to check em out :)

message 2: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz | 18 comments So would I!

message 3: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (carolynhughes) | 67 comments I recently finished "The Highlander's Bride" by Michele Sinclair. I loved it. My 80-year old mom loved it as well.

Two strong, well developed main characters. Enjoyable book from beginning to end. I highly recommend it.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I have To Wed A Highlander by Michele Sinclair in Mt TBR. Hope to get to it soon :)

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela (angela0002) | 4 comments Pamela wrote: "Got any great recommendations for us? I'd love to check em out :)"

Donna Fletcher: Under the Highlander's spell, The Angel and the Highlander, Return of the Rogue, The Higlander's forbidden bride. And of course the "Velvet" series by Jude Deveraux.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Thanks, Angela. I will check Donna Fletcher out. I've read the Velvet series and love it!

Romancereviewer | 7 comments Mod
I recommend Donna Fletcher's latest "The Highlander's Forbidden Bride." It's a complete 180 from the typically sweet heroine. She is perceived as evil until the hero realizes that she is the woman he loves.

message 8: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ Hello everyone. I'm Barbara and I'm new to the group. I have about 370 books listed on my "Romance-Scotland" shelf if anyone is interested. But here are a bunch of my favorites (4-5 star reads IMHO).

Melissa Mayhue - Daughters of the Glen series
Monica McCarty - anything
Hannah Howell - anything
Jaclyn Reding - White series
Karen Marie Moning - Highlander series
Tess Mallory - anything
Glynnis Campbell - My Champion, My Hero
Susan King - Maiden trilogy
May McGoldrick - Highland Treasure trilogy
Lois Greiman - Highland Rogues series
Sue-Ellen Welfonder - MacLean series & MacKenzie series
Karen Ranney - Highland Lords series
Katie MacAlister - Men in Kilts (humorous)
Janet Chapman - Highlander series
Sandy Blair - In a Kilt series
Julia London - Lockhart Family series
Kresley Cole - MacCarrick Brothers series
Melanie George - The Highlander's Stolen Bride
Deborah MacGillivray - The Invasion of Falgannon Isle, A Restless Knight, In Her Bed
Sara Mackenzie - Immortal Warrior series
Karen Hawkins - MacLean Curse series
Veronica Wolff - Of the Highlands series
Allie Mackay - anything (humorous)
Kendra Leigh Castle - anything

Hopefully you all will find something fun to read from this list. Enjoy!

Oh BTW, if you haven't read the Outlander series, you're seriously missing out on the Scots thing. It's a spectacular historical novel with some time travel elements. IMHO Jamie Fraser is the ultimate Scot!

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Barbara wrote: "Hello everyone. I'm Barbara and I'm new to the group. I have about 370 books listed on my "Romance-Scotland" shelf if anyone is interested. But here are a bunch of my favorites (4-5 star reads IM..."

Thanks for the list and I will check out ur shelf. I've read some of those authors but not all.

message 10: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 10 comments I just finished a good Scottish romance last week, My Lord Jack by Hope Tarr. It's set in the Lowlands though, not the Highlands so no kilts.:-( It seems to have some mediocre ratings/reviews, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.:-)

message 11: by ibNell (new)

ibNell | 1 comments Barbara wrote: "Hello everyone. I'm Barbara and I'm new to the group. I have about 370 books listed on my "Romance-Scotland" shelf if anyone is interested. But here are a bunch of my favorites (4-5 star reads IM..."

Awesome list, thanks!

message 12: by Romancereviewer (new)

Barbara, you are amazing! Will use you as my Highlander resource.

message 13: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ Glad I could help. This is my absolute favorite genre so I've read a few....hundred. LOL

message 14: by Danette (new)

Danette Steward | 1 comments Barbara wrote: "Hello everyone. I'm Barbara and I'm new to the group. I have about 370 books listed on my "Romance-Scotland" shelf if anyone is interested. But here are a bunch of my favorites (4-5 star reads IM..."
Thanks for taking the time to put together your list. I will definitely check them out!!

message 15: by Romancereviewer (new)

Just a reminder, Monica McCarty's latest Highlander book, "The Chief" will be released March 23. I will post a review soon.

message 16: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Romancereviewer wrote: "Just a reminder, Monica McCarty's latest Highlander book, "The Chief" will be released March 23. I will post a review soon."

Thanks for the info. I knew it was coming but didn't know when :)

message 17: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I've checked out Tess Mallory with her Highland Dream series and on the 2nd book Highland Fling of the series (the rest on order). They are time travel which I used to avoid but I like them. And now I've order one of Amanda Scott's books Highland Spirits to check out. I didn't realise I'd missed out on so many Highlanders :)

message 18: by Kara (new)

Kara 'Tittle' Steinman (goodreadscomkara_ann) | 1 comments Thanks, Barbara!!! I added lots to my shelf. I can't wait to find more great highland hotties. haha

message 19: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 62 comments Barbara wrote: "Hello everyone. I'm Barbara and I'm new to the group. I have about 370 books listed on my "Romance-Scotland" shelf if anyone is interested. But here are a bunch of my favorites (4-5 star reads IM..."

Thank you SO much Barbara! I'm working my way from Paranormal Romance to Highlander Romance (because some amazing authors do crossovers of the genres) so I figured I would come join the group and see where to start! What an amazing list! It definitely gives me something to work on! Some of them I've already read through due to the PNR world (Melissa Mayhue, Monica McCarty, and Kresley Cole) and if you liked them enough to put them on your list I'm gonna go ahead and trust the rest of your list. :)

Thanks again!

message 20: by Jesslynn (last edited Mar 27, 2010 07:47AM) (new)

Jesslynn | 23 comments CSome of them I've already read through due to the PNR world (Melissa Mayhue, Monica McCarty, and Kresley Cole) and if you liked them enough to put them on your list I'm gonna go ahead and trust the rest of your list.."

Courtney,
Kres Cole's McCarrick Trilogy....yummy! But of all Highlander series Karen Marie Moning is one of my FAVE. Gotta try those. Also, Julie Garwood is an old 80's writer, i think, but my sister let me borrow some of her old books and they are really good.
Try

The Bride (Lairds' Fiancees, #1) by Julie Garwood
Ransom
The Secret
The Wedding
The Prize
Honor's Splendour
Gentle Warrior

message 21: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 62 comments Jesslynn wrote: "CSome of them I've already read through due to the PNR world (Melissa Mayhue, Monica McCarty, and Kresley Cole) and if you liked them enough to put them on your list I'm gonna go ahead and trust th..."

I tried reading Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning and I BARELY made it through. I HATED the heroine! She was ridiculously mean to him. :( Should I try the second book in the series? Does it get better?

I'll definitely try some Julie Garwood. :D

message 22: by Jesslynn (new)

Jesslynn | 23 comments um...the 2nd gets better, but it really picks up with the 4th highlander, however, you need the 3rd to understand some of the things that happen later books. In the 2nd book, it's the hero who is playing hard to get, so you may or may not find that enjoyable.

message 23: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 62 comments Hm...Maybe I'll give it a second try. :)

message 24: by Shawna (last edited Mar 31, 2010 05:20PM) (new)

Shawna (shawnalovesromance) | 5 comments Courtney, I just read Moning's Beyond the Highland Mist and was a bit disappointed 'cause the heroine drove me crazy and made me want to throw something (at her!) at times. But I've been told by several GR friends that books #4-#7 of the Highlander series are amazing and not to be missed.

message 25: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Shawna wrote: "Courtney, I just read Moning's Beyond the Highland Mist and was a bit disappointed 'cause the heroine drove me crazy and made me want to throw something (at her!) at times. But I've been told by se..."

I really liked The Dark Highlander and the one about Adam Black the best.

message 26: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Shawna wrote: "Courtney, I just read Moning's Beyond the Highland Mist and was a bit disappointed 'cause the heroine drove me crazy and made me want to throw something (at her!) at times. But I've been told by se..."

I really liked The Dark Highlander and the one about Adam Black the best.

message 27: by Shawna (last edited Mar 31, 2010 05:46PM) (new)

Shawna (shawnalovesromance) | 5 comments I just read Monica McCarty's The Chief: A Highland Guard Novel and loved it!

Here's my review for it: Review of The Chief

I think it's going to be a great series!

message 28: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (shawnalovesromance) | 5 comments Jesslynn wrote: "CSome of them I've already read through due to the PNR world (Melissa Mayhue, Monica McCarty, and Kresley Cole) and if you liked them enough to put them on your list I'm gonna go ahead and trust th..."

I haven't read anything by Julie Garwood yet. Which of hers do you recommend reading first? I was thinking of The Bride 'cause that seems to be a popular book.

message 29: by Jesslynn (last edited Mar 31, 2010 08:05PM) (new)

Jesslynn | 23 comments Shawna wrote: "Jesslynn wrote: "CSome of them I've already read through due to the PNR world (Melissa Mayhue, Monica McCarty, and Kresley Cole) and if you liked them enough to put them on your list I'm gonna go a..."

The Bride and the wedding definately are good places to start. They are both funny and kinda quirky.
My personal fave was Gentle Warrior (Tapestry Romance) by Julie Garwood , but it's doesn't get as good reviews as say the Gift, the secret or Ransom.

message 30: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Shawna wrote: "Jesslynn wrote: "CSome of them I've already read through due to the PNR world (Melissa Mayhue, Monica McCarty, and Kresley Cole) and if you liked them enough to put them on your list I'm gonna go a..."

yes, good place to start... u will need to eventually read Honor's Splendour too though :)

message 31: by Courtney (last edited Apr 01, 2010 07:36AM) (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 62 comments Shawna wrote: "Courtney, I just read Moning's Beyond the Highland Mist and was a bit disappointed 'cause the heroine drove me crazy and made me want to throw something (at her!) at times. But I've been told by se..."

That's what killed me about the series! I HATED the heroine in the first one! I agree, I wanted to just kick her! I've heard the same thing about 4-7 being better books though so I guess I'll have to go see. :D

message 32: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (shawnalovesromance) | 5 comments Thanks, Jesslynn and Pamela! I've got all those books by Julie Garwood on my TBR! :)

message 33: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 62 comments I just requested The Bride (Lairds' Fiancees, #1) by Julie Garwood from my library! It's already In Transit! Yay!

message 34: by Angela (new)

Angela (angela0002) | 4 comments All of Julie Garwood books are good. Try also " The Guardian Angel".

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I've read Surrender and Untamed by Pamela Clare and really liked them both.

Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers Trilogy, #2) by Pamela Clare Surrender (MacKinnons Rangers Trilogy, #1) by Pamela Clare

message 36: by Angela (new)

Angela (angela0002) | 4 comments I am currently reading Highland Wishes by Leanne Burroughs. No bad, so far.

message 37: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Oakes (kellymoakes) | 3 comments Barbara wrote: "Hello everyone. I'm Barbara and I'm new to the group. I have about 370 books listed on my "Romance-Scotland" shelf if anyone is interested. But here are a bunch of my favorites (4-5 star reads IM..."

What about DONNA GRANT! You even have her book as the group picture!

message 38: by Amy (new)

Amy (kitemera15) | 2 comments The Children of the Moon books (Moon Awakening, and Moon Craving) by Lucy Monroe are also pretty good. Highland werewolves.

Devil of the Highlands, Taming the Highland Bride, and The Hellion and the Highlander by Lynsay Sands are good as well. Very humorous!

message 39: by Amy (new)

Amy (kitemera15) | 2 comments Oh, I forgot to add that Karen Hawkins' highlander books are always very good. Especially the Maclean curse series:
How to Abduct a Highland Lord
To Scotland, with Love
TO Catch a Highlander

message 40: by Angela (new)

Angela (angela0002) | 4 comments Lord of the Isles by Debbie Mazzucca is also a very good book.

message 41: by Midori (new)

Midori Jimenez | 7 comments didn't enjoy Beyond the Highland Mist myself, because Adrienne, the heroine was so annoying, i wanted to slap some sense into her! she was really mean to Hawk. i'm currently reading the 2nd book in the series, To Tame a Highland Warrior and i hope this will be better than the first.

oh by the way, Outlander series will be my all-time Scot/Highland historical romance ever!

message 42: by Jesslynn (new)

Jesslynn | 23 comments Midori wrote: "didn't enjoy Beyond the Highland Mist myself, because Adrienne, the heroine was so annoying, i wanted to slap some sense into her! she was really mean to Hawk. i'm currently reading the 2nd book in..."

i think the 2nd book was a lot better and the girl not soooo annoying. But, Outlander...i am struggling through the 2nd book cs so many have recommended this and i'm just kinda bored. Outlander after the 1st few chapters picked up, but it's slow going w/this 2nd one and I'm confused as to why she's not more pregnant than she is.

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura (highlandhussy) | 654 comments Anyone wants some good paranormal Highlanders?
Lucy Monroe writes about Socttish historical and current werwolves, and Donna Grant writes about demons and druids and highlanders (oh my!)

message 44: by Melita (new)

Melita (prodigalofblue) | 3 comments Samantha James has good highlander romances...my sister and I have been reading them.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I can't find my copy of Highlander Unchained :(

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura (highlandhussy) | 654 comments oh no! That's a good one too! :(

message 47: by Melita (new)

Melita (prodigalofblue) | 3 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I can't find my copy of Highlander Unchained :("

Did you lend it to a friend? I safely tuck away my McCarthy romances in my plastic containers...=D

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish It should be on my bookshelf in my closet hidden behind my clothes :(

And I NEVER loan books. I'm selfish that way. LOL

message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura (highlandhussy) | 654 comments lol...I wish I could say the same! I always let my friends and family borrow them, and then I stress over the books until I get them back!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Laurie-Highland Hussy wrote: "lol...I wish I could say the same! I always let my friends and family borrow them, and then I stress over the books until I get them back!"

Thankfully my mother is too snooty to read what I read and my oldest daughter isn't interested in what I read, so the only one I have to worry about is the daughter who lives at home and if I find books missing, I threaten to start charging her rent so I can replace them. I usually end up with a stack of my missing books within an hour. LOL

« previous 1 3 4 5 6