Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

General Discussion > Why do you love paranormal books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 132 (132 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 4468 comments Mod
Why do you love paranormal books?

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (danig0526) | 20 comments The action! Wondering if the things that are in these books are real or fake (personally think a good amount is real :) being put into a different world!! I enjoy the characters and the strength of the women!! It's just awesome!!

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I think it makes the storyline and characters a lot more interesting, and it's a better form of escapism if it's out of the ordinary.

message 4: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) I love the escapism too, it helps to unwind from a long day to just lose myself in the books and to wonder what it would be like to be some of those characters!:) :)

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I thought I was the only one who did that! I get so bored of my own life sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have a sexy vampire or werewolf to spice things up! :D

message 6: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Oh yeah totally feel the same way Catherine!!!! I often get jealous of these great kick ass women in these series who have the hot sexy vamps/werewolfs! It's so not fair ;) LOL

message 7: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Susan (Suz) wrote: "Oh yeah totally feel the same way Catherine!!!! I often get jealous of these great kick ass women in these series who have the hot sexy vamps/werewolfs! It's so not fair ;) LOL"

I know, and most of the time they don't just get one! And it gets so depressing reading about them agonising over which hottie to pick and I'm thinking I can't even remember the last time I was asked out by a guy!

message 8: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

Good books always serve as an escape for me, the vamps etc make it even better!! I also like that it gives plenty of scope for action and stories, books set in real life have sooo many constraints on them!!!

Always seems to cause them though problems choosing their man/men!! Never seem to have that in real life!!!

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (paranormalfantasies) | 14 comments The action... the men... the bad boys... danger... the unexpected and the fantasy of it all!

message 10: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 373 comments Like a lot of pp, for me it is the escape from the real world, something that isn't even possible in real life (or at least hasn't happened to me), for some reason I can play the pictures and create the scenes better with paranormal than anything else and they tend to be richer in detail.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren cause you can only find hot sexy vamps and werewolves in paranormal books hahaha!

i like that i can go into their world cause sometimes mine sucks!

message 12: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

Lauren wrote: "cause you can only find hot sexy vamps and werewolves in paranormal books hahaha!

i like that i can go into their world cause sometimes mine sucks!"

Well said Lauren!!!

message 13: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) b/c it keeps my attention. there is soooo much that can happen in a paranormal book. lots of action and adventure. and our super HOT bad boys. and i am in love wit the whole vampire lot books plus the faeries. i like to read about things that noramlly probally never happen in real life. i also love the forbidden romance. i need something where i can step outta the real world and go into this wonderful world of everthing paranormal. all paranormal books gives me this.

message 14: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) oh. yes. the sexy & HOT vamps! thats wht i like!

message 15: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) omg. so true. the author makes our sexy vamps sound so hot and sexy. and i just love that. and they way they describe them is even better.

message 16: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) haha.

message 17: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

Dark vampire princess (Ammi) wrote: "Mariya wrote: "omg. so true. the author makes our sexy vamps sound so hot and sexy. and i just love that. and they way they describe them is even better."

Yummy… I think I’m drooling , how sad is that haha"

If you're drooling then job done - good book!!!

message 18: by Terra (new)

Terra Synn (terrasynn) | 138 comments I love these types of books because all my life I have always felt a connection with the paranormal world. I guess in a way, they make me feel at home.

message 19: by Anne (new)

Anne Mikusinsi (abghostwriter) | 18 comments I love the fact that they take me to new worlds and introduce me to characters I will never see in this world.

message 20: by Kilgallen (new)

Kilgallen | 24 comments I enjoy paranormal books because I have always been attracted to ghosts, and witches, and vampires, and ghouls, and....well you get the idea. :) I also read a lot of horror. Paranormal is a nice break from horror without getting too far from my monsters.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan Terra wrote: "I love these types of books because all my life I have always felt a connection with the paranormal world. I guess in a way, they make me feel at home."

ok I'm spooked now! REALLY? LOL JK!
Have you ever applied to one of the paranormal research teams? Ya know like ghost hunters? You might be tuned in and could help?

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan Kimberley wrote: "Like a lot of pp, for me it is the escape from the real world, something that isn't even possible in real life (or at least hasn't happened to me), for some reason I can play the pictures and creat..."

YES !

message 23: by Diamond (kindle lover) (last edited Jan 22, 2012 05:21PM) (new)

Diamond (kindle lover) (quirkysecrets) | 10 comments To escape the real world like everyone else said

message 24: by Terra (new)

Terra Synn (terrasynn) | 138 comments Susan *ARK* wrote:"ok I'm spooked now! REALLY? LOL JK!
Have you ever applied to one of the paranormal research teams? Ya know like ghost hunters? You might be tuned in and could help?
"

No I have not and do not wish to. I am not going to exploit my freaky abilities just so I/someone else can make a buck.

For some people once the switch for the abilities has been turned on, it can't be turned off and sometimes for those of us that do know how to control our abilities, a supernatural shock/trauma can cause a kind of short and we can never either turn it off and we become over whelmed and end up in the psychiatric ward or it gets burned out completely and we no longer hear the calls/whispers and we become depressed and we can't make it through life without the ability and we still end up in the psychiatric ward.

I will never risk any of that for one of those fake arse shows. I am happy to have my abilities and will never put them at risk .

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) I love to read many different types of things, but I keep coming back to UF/PR because I like to think there's more to the world than what we see/perceive. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky(?) some day and meet a real vampire ;)

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan Michelle L. wrote: "I love to read many different types of things, but I keep coming back to UF/PR because I like to think there's more to the world than what we see/perceive. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky(?) some day and meet a real vampire..."

oh no! you want a sexy, out of this world handsome, KIND, non killing vampire....gotta be specific!
some of those leeches are killers!

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Susan *ARK* wrote: "Michelle L. wrote: "I love to read many different types of things, but I keep coming back to UF/PR because I like to think there's more to the world than what we see/perceive. Who knows, maybe I'l..."

*slaps forehead* Of course!! That's exactly that I meant! Thanks for setting me straight ;)

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan Michelle L. wrote: "..*slaps forehead* Of course!! That's exactly that I meant! Thanks for setting me straight ;)

.."

LOL

message 29: by John (new)

John Doe (johnnydoe) | 2 comments Who wants to read about real life .. I live that every day. The paranormal is far more entertaining. :)

message 30: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (xxxEllsBellsxxx) | 19 comments It's nice to fantasize that life could be totally different. And way more exciting than average everyday life. Plus it seems paranormal people are extremely hotter than most people so thumbs up to that! xD

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Love to live in a Fantasy world even if it is only in my books.

@Ellie & Randy, totally agree! :)

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Ellie wrote: "It's nice to fantasize that life could be totally different. And way more exciting than average everyday life. Plus it seems paranormal people are extremely hotter than most people so thumbs up to ..."

Lol. I couldn't agree more with that! A lot of times those heroes in UF/PR are interesting to read about even if I couldn't imagine being with them in real life. After reading Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward , I really got into the brotherhood characters, but I'll be darned if I'd want any of them as my dh. ;)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Ellie wrote: "It's nice to fantasize that life could be totally different. And way more exciting than average everyday life. Plus it seems paranormal people are extremely hotter than most people so thumbs up to ..."

You have a point Ellie. I wonder if that would mean I'd get turned into a pretty leading lady!!

message 34: by Destiny (new)

Destiny Clark (lil_pink) | 2 comments I love any kind of paranormal books... I espically love ghosts and vampires!!!!!

message 35: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (xxxEllsBellsxxx) | 19 comments @ Shera
Imagining that makes me really wish paranormal people existed. -sigh-

message 36: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (innocent_sweetiepie) | 507 comments It makes me feel that I'm not the only person with a vivid imagination or that I'm not weird for not being the usual normal person. And it's a great way to escape into another world. A world seemingly without many bounderies.

message 37: by Susan (new)

Susan There are bad things... I read the love and lust and want that in my life... and I live with a human male...sigh.
LOL
the heat the passion the love enough to die for them...unrealistic I know...but the thought keeps me hoping..I

Just a look or a kiss on the neck for no reason...
ahhhhhh
I keep trying...
I even ..."shaved" but he made fun of me!
so he's in the dog house - and he knows it...so...
it kinda worked - he's offered me a backrub and THAT can lead to something!

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Backrubs are a good place to start!!

message 39: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (xxxEllsBellsxxx) | 19 comments rofl! interesting. I should try that.

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan yeah... nakedness and rubbing oil... some well placed moans...

I got LUCKY! lol
and hubby is being so good today!
ha

message 41: by Destiny (new)

Destiny Clark (lil_pink) | 2 comments okay so you know how edward sparkles on twillight? i do too

message 42: by Danniella (new)

Danniella Duff (danniellaalisaduff) | 13 comments I love the fantasy of it all it's something that I can just loose myself in and forget about real life for a change

message 43: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (xxxEllsBellsxxx) | 19 comments @Susan
Lmao!!! nice dude!

message 44: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Bowers (bridgetbowers) | 15 comments Well, the bad boys are usually just so very bad it's hard to resist. The other factor is that it let's your imagination wander. It can make you think.."what if vampires were real or how would you react if you met a werewolf?" Anything that helps you expand your imagination and carry you away into a new world to explore is tough to resist. Especially if there is some hot, sexy bad boy to play tour guide.

message 45: by Dusky (last edited Feb 06, 2012 03:13PM) (new)

Dusky (dusklikedawn) | 26 comments In books based on real life, they make the characters out to be people most can never aspire to be. The hero/heroine is something close to perfect, yeah she/he has some flaws, typically not enough to really relate. The men especially with their two page monologues to their "love" about their feelings, and really, it is unrealistic.

However you put those amazing characters in an alternate universe, throw in some magic, fangs, wings or fur, and it becomes acceptable. You think, wow I wish men were like that in real life. Because you know it's unrelated to real life. But in a "normal" book you kinda sorta halfway expect real men to be like that.

I hope I am making sense. I don't explain well. Put simply, super human attributes belonging to someone human feels like a lie. Applied to a supernatural being feels like it is just a part of that world.

You can take some base part of a human being that we don't like. The attraction to violence, jealousy, a quick temper, etc. That human will make us run the other way, but say it's all part of being a vamp. It's ingrained in them, unable to be any different than it is. Suddenly it becomes acceptable.

Also, there really is more to this world than most of us see. Who knows how close any of these authors come to getting it right?

Edited to a add: i've read books with superflawed main characters, so my first point is a generalization based on MOST books I have personally read. I, in no way, explained it thoroughly enough, it would take it's own book, but I hope you get my point.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments True. If you through fangs and magic things on them we do love them more.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

"I would die for you" in "real life" shows up only in songs. In fantasy, it can be reality.

message 48: by Susan (new)

Susan @ Susanna = In books based on real life, they make the characters out to be people most can never aspire to be. The hero/heroine is something close to perfect, yeah she/he has some flaws, typically not enough to really relate. The men especially with their two page monologues to their "love" about their feelings, and really, it is unrealistic.

Buzz kill. ROFL

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Karl wrote: ""I would die for you" in "real life" shows up only in songs. In fantasy, it can be reality."

That just made my day.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Susan *ARK* wrote: "@ Susanna = In books based on real life, they make the characters out to be people most can never aspire to be. The hero/heroine is something close to perfect, yeah she/he has some flaws, typically..."

Around here you're lucky if you get a meaningful pat on the back!! Cowboys.

« previous 1 3