Outlander Series discussion

Archived > What happened to Roger's father Jeremiah MacKenzie

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judith (new)

Judith | 26 comments What really happened to Roger's father Jerry MacKenzie? Did he go through the stones back in WWII? Might he be in the American Colonies by now? He may be appropriate as a friend for Jenny in next book.

message 2: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments What an awesome idea, Judith.

message 3: by Jessieb (new)

Jessieb | 3 comments I totally think he is going to show up soon. At first, I thought he might be the tramp lurking around Roger and Brianna's in Echo. Due to what happened in Echo (I don't want to spoil anything), I think Roger might be in a position to look for his father.

message 4: by Judith (last edited Feb 13, 2010 12:12PM) (new)

Judith | 26 comments Jessieb,
Search for Jerry, thats a good idea.

Spoiler Alert!
Refresh my memory, was there a clear explanation of William Bucleigh MacKenzie's arrival at Lallybroch? He would make such a good villain, especially since he carries Dougal's and Ghellis's genes. And Roger has those same genes, why don't the nasty genes show up in Roger?

message 5: by Jessieb (new)

Jessieb | 3 comments Buc's arrival wasn't very well explained. Only that he saw Roger and followed him thinking that R was some sort of magical being that maybe able to help him (Buc). I think we can look to the "nature vs. nurture" debate to find out why Roger doesn't display the nasty genes of his ancestors. Rev. Wakefield was a kind and good man. Not to mention that R's gene pool would be quite diluted as he's a number of generations away from Gellis and Dougal. Also, I don't know if R will have to search that hard for his pops. People have a tendency to show up unexpectedly :)

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments Buck's arrival was explained. He was out with his wife and child(having a picnic I think) near the standing stones, walked through them and found himself in the future. It was purely an accident.

As for Jerry, I think he may have just flown his plane over a set of stones(or some other site that happens to be over the ley lines) and disappeared. His crashed plane was found, but there was no sign of him whatsoever.
We also can't be sure whether he would have traveled backwards(like Roger) or forwards(like Buck) in time, so there is no guaranty that he will appear in any of the books
Diana is writing a story about Roger's parents that may clear all of that up. There is an excerpt from it on her site.