The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Hello from Germany

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arvid (new)

Arvid (madhatter) | 4 comments Hello,

I just came across this group searching for a group which gives me the chance to read interesting books on a regular basis and talk about it.

At the moment I am reading the last part of the Harry Potter series, which I enjoyed more than I ever thought I might. People have been telling me about the books and how great they are. But it took me a long time to start reading them.

Cheers,
Arvid

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 9781 comments Mod
Hi Arvid, welcome to the group. We are always reading interesting books, so hop on in and steal a few :)

Glad you found us!

message 3: by Petra (new)

Petra Hi Arvid!! Glad you found us. This Group has increased my To Be Read booklist by a lot!!! You'll find many interesting books being discussed here.

message 4: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 484 comments Welcome to the group! I'm sure you'll find, like the rest of us, a super resource for great books! I keep adding so many to my "to read" list - I just hope to read them.

Where in Germany are you? We are in Munich quite a bit visiting relatives and up in Bremerhaven where my Dad's side of the family is from. From one end to the other (and all in between) Germany is a magnificent country!

message 5: by Arvid (new)

Arvid (madhatter) | 4 comments I am living in Lübeck, that's north from Hamburg. So I am as far north as Bremerhaven (a bit higher actually), but on the east side. Baltic Sea coast.

message 6: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 484 comments That is a beautiful area. We always either fly in or out of Hamburg and have enjoyed lots of driving around that area. My relatives are all from Germany, Sweden, Lithuania.

I'm pretty sure we have been to Lübeck. Isn't it the big port city known for marzipan? Yummmmmmy!!!

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol Welcome Arvid, good to hear from you .

message 8: by Arvid (new)

Arvid (madhatter) | 4 comments Right, I don't think it's that big, but known for marzipan. Having relatives in so many countries must be great for traveling to interesting/new places. I always wanted to go to Sweden for the holidays but never did so far. And I am just a few miles away. ;)

message 9: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 484 comments You're right - always fun places to visit! And my husband is from N. Ireland (with an aunt in Munich) where we used to live, so that puts that many more locations on our map.

If you don;'t mind my question - are e-readers, such as the Amazon's Global Kindle and others popular in Germany/Europe yet?

message 10: by Arvid (new)

Arvid (madhatter) | 4 comments Hard to tell. I know that you can order the Kindle via Amazon in Germany from the States, but I don't think many people are using it already.
I only know one person via twitter from Germany that uses Kindle and seems to buy lots of e-books. But not for reading novels but tech books.

I prefer reading "real" books.

message 11: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 484 comments Haha! I read "real" books as well, but since I got my Kindle I've read 99.9% on it - and don't miss the DTBs at all.

message 12: by Corinna (new)

Corinna (coekoemo) | 40 comments Hey Arvid,
hello back to you from not that far away -> Berlin.

So how is Harry Potter envolding and what is up next on you reading list.

@F1Wild: funny, I am originally from Bremerhaven. :)

message 13: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 484 comments I love Bremerhaven! We actually took pics standing in the same flower garden as my great-great grandmother did we found from a pic we have of her.

OK, did that sentence even make a bit of sense? ;-))))