Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Movies of the Month > The Taking of Pelham 123

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (httpgoodreadscomelaine_chaika) | 241 comments There was a very good movies starring Walter Matthau called The Taking of Pelham 123. I highly recommend it. It was so good and apparently the studios figured so many people like it that they should do a remake, and remake it they did.

I saw it on blu ray last night. The remake had all the flaws of today's action movies, and with Tony Scott directing, those flaws were magnified. It is characterized by swish pans, frames layered on other frames, so much sheer visual presentation that it is impossible to feel any emotion for any of the hostages or anyone else either. The colors are vivid to the point of hurting your eyes.

If you have seen Tony Scott's Man on Fire, you have already seen this sort of visual mish-mash, but here he has upped the ante Every scene is hectic, visually grabbing, but emotionally and dramatically empty.

Even D.W. Griffiths knew that if you want viewers to relate to the people on the screen, you have to have close-ups showing their emotions. Tony Scott thinks all you have to do is make each frame as loaded with color, objects and movement possible to keep the audience glued. Glued they may be, but affected they aren't. There is no feeling of relief at the end of this movie, except the relief that it's over.

message 2: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments Thanks Elaine! I've seen one Tony Scott film and that was enough: I was suckered into seeing MAN ON FIRE in my theatre...that's what happens when I play nice and let friends choose the movies:(

I also had to sit through THE HANGOVER but that's another story...

The one good thing that came out of this was my learning about the original. I had never heard of the Sargant classic but it looks interesting: moving to the top of my queue!

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5233 comments Alex, beware. The DVD of the original PELHAM 123 is really inadequate, it isn't enhanced for widescreen TVs. The film still works, of course, nothing can dim it, but be prepared.

message 4: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments Thanks Tom. It boggles my mind that sub-par dvds are still being released.

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments You know, I haven't seen the original PELHAM either. Should seek it out. And Tony Scott is one of the biggest hacks around. MAN ON FIRE is a total abomination.

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5233 comments The PELHAM DVD is letterboxed, but not enhanced for widescreen TVs. It looks okay, the DVD was mastered from a good print, the sound is good, etc.

It just deserves a better DVD.