Indian Literature and the Arts discussion

Rabindranath Tagore

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ram (new)

Ram | 145 comments Mod
Just finished reading "Home and the World" by Rabindranath Tagore, my first of this great man of literature from India. It was made as a well known movie called "Ghare Bhaire" by another famous son of India Satyajit Ray. This book narrates the story from the eyes of three protagonists and from that point of view is slow to get into. About little more than half way through, the narrative picks up pace and Tagore with his dramatisation manages to infuse an element of suspense and thrill in the concluding pages, which ends with a climax. I suspect not the ideal first book to be read of Tagore. Has anybody read other works of Tagore.

message 2: by Kavya (new)

Kavya (kavyarao) | 1 comments I have just finished reading "Choker Bali" and its very good. Tagore understands and explains the ins and outs of a woman's mind, I've also read "Two sisters", which is also about "women" ! Gitanjali is outstanding :)

message 3: by Ramya (new)

Ramya (RamyaNL) | 1 comments well i agree too coz i have read Gitanjali and it is the best anthology of poetry i have ever read.

message 4: by Kshitiz (new)

Kshitiz Uttam Tagore obviously is a giant of English lit but I dont like the mysticism in his works. Of his books that I have had the privilege of reading I like "Gora" the best.
Highly recommended.

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara (goodreadscomtara_lynn_masih) | 21 comments I'm getting to this a bit late, but I found it really intriguing when I was doing research for the book I edited (The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Fiction)to come across Tagore's international influence with writers such as Yasunari Kawabata and South American magic realists. I discuss "Fireflies," his collection of small stories/poems/haikus, in my intro and how many are similar to Ana Maria Shua's flash fictions. I am glad to be shining a little more light on his work to Westerners!

message 6: by Shriya (new)

Shriya | 6 comments Hi, I want to know more about him on a basic level any book recommendation? I also found a book on Science and the Indian Tradition: When Einstein Met Tagore, so I guess I need some background on Tagore first to understand Einsteins meeting!

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara (goodreadscomtara_lynn_masih) | 21 comments Shriya wrote: "Hi, I want to know more about him on a basic level any book recommendation? I also found a book on Science and the Indian Tradition: When Einstein Met Tagore, so I guess I need some background on T..."

Hi Shriya: I'm afraid much of what I learned about Tagore was online, or in bits and pieces in various texts. Fireflies is one of his collection that I highly recommend you reading, if you can find a copy. This other book you mention sounds fascinating and I'm adding to my list. Thanks!

message 8: by India (new)

India Menon (subcontinent) | 1 comments Ram, et al.,

I am also wondering where one should begin to dive into Tagore. Is there a certain novel or short story with which I may be best to begin, perhaps a work that is his "landmark"? I have been reading some of his short stories (specifically, second volume of the Galpaguchchha) simply because I found it in a bookstore when I was last in South India. They've been really delightful and I "hear" what is meant by his lyrical voice. I will add "Fireflies" to my list of potential "to-read" books. Thanks.

message 9: by Ram (new)

Ram | 145 comments Mod
@India - I have read only work of Tagore so am not the ideal person to comment - for me taking time between books of the same author works, though sometimes i feel too much time has elapsed - what to do, so much books to read, so little time!!