Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Shift by Rachel Vincent - SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Literary Ames (last edited Feb 13, 2010 04:12PM) (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 237 comments I'm dying to talk about Shift (Shifters, #5) by Rachel Vincent by Rachel Vincent. Has anyone read it yet?

It was brilliant, I loved it. There were so many heart-stopping moments, the tension was incredible. It's definitely on my list of favourite books read/released in 2010. My review.

message 2: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol, I don't like anyone that has already gotten this! J/K I'm just really jealous!

message 3: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I just ordered from B&N and they are shipping it out today, so I should have it by Tuesday, can you guess what I will be doing on Tuesday????

message 4: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments It says that they are shipping it already, even though it's release date isn't until March 1st? I'm going to have to go look at that! I don't want to wait!

message 5: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "It says that they are shipping it already, even though it's release date isn't until March 1st? I'm going to have to go look at that! I don't want to wait!"

I hear you about waiting. When I saw that it was being shipped now, I thought why wait and stalk the stores.

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I'm not buying this one, so I'll be waiting awhile before I read it. I was so annoyed with the last one though that it doesn't bother me that much lol.

message 7: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Jess wrote: "I'm not buying this one, so I'll be waiting awhile before I read it. I was so annoyed with the last one though that it doesn't bother me that much lol."

What bothered you about the last one?

message 8: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments It felt like the last book was just a filler so that the author could extend the series. There was a lot of unresolved conflicts. Between Marc, Faythe and Jace nothing was solved... the council and other alphas are in the same position they were at the beginning of the book.

I still enjoyed reading hte book, but when I got to the end and it seemed everyone was in the same spots they were before, I was just thought to myself "what was the point of this book".

message 9: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Makes sense. I liked learning more about the council and then the whole Ethan thing tore me up!! I am hoping that things become more clear in this book.

message 10: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Darcy wrote: "Makes sense. I liked learning more about the council and then the whole Ethan thing tore me up!! I am hoping that things become more clear in this book."

Ethan.... sob!!!! I definitely cried over that. I'm also interested to see what happens next, but I'm not chomping at the bit to get the book either.

message 11: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I want to know what will be happening with Ethan's pregnant girlfriend and it seems like Jace is finally deciding that he is going after Faythe. It is about to get really interesting for her, then there is the whole war with the council.

message 12: by Literary Ames (last edited Feb 15, 2010 12:17PM) (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 237 comments Oh man, it's so tempting to tell you guys everything.

Just couple of things that are slightly spoilerish:

The final war will be in Alpha but there is significant change in the circumstances on both sides. Poor Parker, poor Jace (he really can't catch a break).

Faythe doesn't make her decision about who to choose but Jace shows himself to be a very good fighter, he could definitely take Marc's position in that respect.

Oh and Faythe's mother is my new favourite character, she kicks some political butt. Just because she looks like a pretty little housewife doesn't mean she's soft.

Ethan's pregnant girlfriend doesn't make an appearance in Shift but Michael's wife is making things difficult.

I think there's a good chance that the Thunderbirds will make an appearance in Alpha.

This isn't a spoiler but my gut is telling me Marc is going to die. I don't know why but that's how I feel. I can't choose between Jace and Marc so it's not favouritism but then Shift is a Jace book. I think there are going to be a significant number of casualties in Alpha.

message 13: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Amy I don't know if I love you or hate you for telling me all of that. LOL I really want to read the book now.

message 14: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I just have no will power! I read what you said about things being "slightly spoilerish" and thought, I'd better not read the rest of the post. And yet, I read it! No will power at all! lol!

message 15: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 237 comments Lol! I added the "slightly spoilerish" after reading Darcy's comment, I didn't want to get in trouble :)

message 16: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Amy or "Ames" wrote: "Lol! I added the "slightly spoilerish" after reading Darcy's comment, I didn't want to get in trouble :)"

You didn't have to do that because of my comments. Along with Kelley Anne I have no self control. I knew just by entering this thread I would encounter spoilers, I just couldn't stop myself. LOL

message 17: by ♥Lynn ♥ (new)

♥Lynn ♥ Amy, I am trying so hard not to order this book ever since you got yours in. I have bought so many books this month I feel guilty. I am going to wait until the 1st like a good girl. I will make due with Kim Harrison's new release and be glad in it. lol

message 18: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 237 comments Lynn, I can't get a physical copy of Black Magic Sanction until the 29th April in the UK (its release date here) so I'm going to see if I can get the ebook instead.

message 19: by ♥Lynn ♥ (new)

♥Lynn ♥ I hope it comes out earlier on ebook for you. Who will I talk about it with?? Amy, you should move to the US. Better yet, I will move. We all laugh that my 2 year old has a UK accent (sometimes she does). I think we watch to much Keeping Up with Appearences. LOL!

message 20: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Ok, Barnes and Noble must have the wrong release date in their system or something, because I just went online and checked for availability of it at the stores by me, and all of them have it! Just called my fav store to make sure. And I'm now on my way to pick it up!

message 21: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 237 comments Yay, enjoy!

message 22: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 237 comments Lynn ♥ ♥Brokhen ♥ ♥ wrote: "I hope it comes out earlier on ebook for you. Who will I talk about it with?? Amy, you should move to the US. Better yet, I will move. We all laugh that my 2 year old has a UK accent (sometimes she..."

I'd love to move to the US, I'd be in book heaven! You don't want to move to the UK, Lynn. There is only one bookstore on the high street now that Borders UK went bust at Xmas, and they're very expensive. I have to order all of my books online. I only go into bookstores to have a gander, make a note of all the books I want and then walk out and order them when I get home. Much cheaper that way!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments I read it last week and really enjoyed it. I'm glad it wasn't the emotional roller coaster of the last one, but it was still packed with drama. The Thunderbirds were an interesting new addition and they definitely caused more than their share of problems.

My heart broke for Marc having to find out about Faythe and Jace the way he did. I'm still holding out hope that Jace will go and rule his step-dad's territory - as I think he's too alpha to rule beside Faythe like Marc will, he needs his own territory.

I was left wondering about the status of Ethan's unborn baby and Ryan and who Manx will chose (fingers crossed for Owen!).

I can't wait for Alpha though, it's going to be fantastic!

message 24: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 237 comments DarkHeart "Vehngeance" wrote: "I read it last week and really enjoyed it. I'm glad it wasn't the emotional roller coaster of the last one, but it was still packed with drama. The Thunderbirds were an interesting new addition a..."

I'm not sure if Jace is strong enough to walk away from Faythe or that Faythe would be strong enough to lose him.

I so think Owen will win, she has feelings for him and what happened in Shift wasn't his fault, he can keep Manx and Des safe. She should listen to her heart, at least I hope she does.

Alpha's going to be EPIC!

message 25: by FlibBityFLooB (last edited Feb 19, 2010 02:58PM) (new)

FlibBityFLooB | 0 comments Loved it!!!!

*****spoilers for those who haven't read it yet...****

I had no idea that the thunderbird plotline would take place, but it was certainly an interesting twist!

GO JACE!!!!!!! I still get annoyed at Marc's character. Then again, I am angry as ever at Faythe's character. Talk about playing guys. For shame!

I was glad to see some of the flirty side of Jace back in this one. I was so worried that Jace's character would be ruined after Ethan's death. I love the flirty Jace! However, I also liked that he's starting to be a stronger character. Morphing into half Jace half Marc.

if I had to guess how Rachel Vincent will write herself out of the love triangle... someone almost has to die.... That's my predecition, anyway.

message 26: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 237 comments FlibBityFLooB wrote: "Loved it!!!!

*****spoilers for those who haven't read it yet...****

I had no idea that the thundercat plotline would take place, but it was certainly an interesting twist!

GO JACE!!!!!!! ..."

Yep I agree, I think Marc is going to die. As more time goes by I've begun to suspect that if he dies Faythe and Jace will get together and she will become alpha of her pride and Jace of his step-father's, and perhaps merge the two groups if that's possible.

message 27: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Finally got my copy delivered today. I will be reading it and then back to dish with all of you.

message 28: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I am so glad that I finally was able to read this. Just reading about what you all wrote made me want to know. LOL

I love how Faythe's mother stepped up finally. We kept hearing how she was all badass in her day, but never saw it.

Loved that Faythe is Kaci's mother figure and how the Thunderbirds refered to her like that.

I also agree that I think Manx will pick Owen, he is such a gentle giant and is just who she needs after her previous treatment.

I really hated the Thunderbirds at first, but they were manilpulated like so many others by Malone. In the end I kind of liked them.

Malone is just evil!! To kill your own son, I can't imagine that. I also can't imagine being in his territory as a family member or enforcer. It seems like he has subverted his sons, probably killed Jace's dad, and as an enforcer you see him kill his own son, so why would you be any different, you better damn well go along with what he says.

As far as the whole Faythe/Marc/Jace thing I have changed my mind. I had always wanted her to end up with Marc, but really like how Jace has changed. I know some of you have talked about Marc getting killed, but I don't want that to happen, but I also don't want the 2 guys to fight to the death either, so I am not sure where that leaves me. I thought how Marc found about her and Jace was horrible and the discussion the 2 of them after heartbreaking for both of them, actually for all 3 of them. Someone is going to end up getting hurt no matter what she chooses.

I am excited to see how everything shakes down in Alpha!!

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments I just got the book in the mail last night and finished in just a few quick hours! Already, I can't wait for the next one!

I'm not sure if Marc is going to be killed off, but I do think that both he and Jace can't live. It has to be one or the other. I was really digging Jace throughout this book. He's proven that he's tough stuff and truly cares about Faythe. Also, I liked that Faythe admitted that she truly loves BOTH Jace and Marc.

Completely agree with the statement that the Thunderbirds will be back (Faythe is still owed a favor and I think she'll need to cash in to help her dad).

I'm curious to see what happens with Angela and Holly. I think we're being set up to see more of BOTH of them. Wouldn't it be CRAZY if Holly was pregnant, too??

Not sure, but I have a feeling that in the next book Faythe's dad will not survive the battle and she will be made alpha. Plus, we still have Kaci hanging out there... I'm wondering if she will meet someone that she has an interest in.

message 30: by Tina (new)

Tina | 39 comments I was a little upset that the love triangle didn't get "more" resolved. I was under the impression that it would.

My other gripe with the book is that the whole Ethan's baby issue was swept under the rug. It was a cliffhanger in the last book. How can the cliffhanger just be a small mention in this book? I was looking forward to more of this. With only one more book ... how is everything going to be resolved or brought up?

On a positive note ... this was Jace is book. There was so much of him, I loved it! I'm a huge Marc and Jace fan but it was nice to see more of Jace. I like how Faythe finally admitted to loving them both.

What did people think about the new dominant Jace? I didn't like it. The fun, loveable, playful Jace is the one I like. It's what I've always liked about him.

DARCY - I will be devasted if Marc dies! I like how Marc took the news of Faythe and Jace. He was cool and collected. He showed some growth. I really hope Manx and Owen get together.

message 31: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (audiobookmel) I am with a lot of you guys. I was a Marc person, but now I think I am switching sides and pulling for Jace. I always liked Jace, but did not see him competing with Marc for Faythe. I am really starting to see it. I think I also agree that Marc dies. I do not see how Faythe can choose between the two. I do not want to see it, but it would break my heart to see her choose Jace over him (and the other way around also, I am just too torn).

I love the Thunderbird twist. I am not familiar with another were-bird type of species (other than the swan-manes in Anita Blake, and they are no where near as cool as the Thunderbirds).

I cannot wait to see Calvin Malone get is ass handed to him. He is just a horrible person.

I hope that Manx and Owen get together. I am also concerned about Michael's wife. Not sure about Ethan's child. I have no idea where that is going.

message 32: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolerene) This was the best book yet and probably my favorite of all time.
Jace really came into his own in this book and it was clear that the author was setting us up to start thinking of Jace as "Alpha" material. Previously, the relationship between Jace and Faythe would never have worked because he wasn't strong enough to stand by herside and rule the Pride. But after this book, Jace has demonstrated many qualities required of a good Alpha.
Before this book, I was certain Faythe HAD to end up with Marc...despite my personal love for Jace. But now I'm as confused as Faythe on the subject.

I believe Faythe has to choose Marc or he has to die, because he cannot live without her. On the other hand, I do think Jace could go on to rule his step-father's pride...when Calvin Malone dies a horrible, painful, slow death ;).
Everyone keeps mentioning Kaci and possible love interests, but she's 13 and I doubt she will age dramatically before the next book considering the civil war is imminent.
I love Manx and Owen!

I love how Faythe has grown in these books from being self-serving and thoughtless, to being a woman of strength, worth, and common-sense.

This is the best series and I am recommending it to EVERYONE I know. I can't wait until "Alpha".

message 33: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 536 comments I would hate to see Marc hurt anymore than he already is. He's been through so much already.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments I'm with you, Carolyn. I know that Jace's life hasn't always been rosy either, but Marc has certainly been through a lot and I really just want things to work out for him.

Cassi | mom.always.reads - moving to The StoryGraph (momalwaysreads) (momalwaysreads) | 5 comments There's an interview with Rachel Vincent here: http://www.kindlevixen.com/archives/1242

I won't post her answer here since it contains spoilers for Alpha, but the last question is "...any hints as to where Faythe and her crew go from here?" and it addresses a little bit of the Marc/Jace issue.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments Oooooh.... exciting stuff. Not nearly enough information, but some comforting answers. Sigh...