Manchester District Library Book Club discussion

Stitches

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shea (new)

Shea | 185 comments Mod
This is the first graphic novel I have ever read. I enjoyed the experience, but the story disturbed me. I was very angry at David's parents (especially knowing this was a true story). I am glad that in the end David grows into a successful and seemingly well adjusted adult. It definitely illustrates that no one can ever know the inner workings of a family except those on the inside.

message 2: by Patty (new)

Patty | 101 comments Mod
(I read this book back in January and gave it 4 stars. I thought I'd reprint my review since Shea started a discussion.)

It took me a while to get to this book (I kept putting it off) and if it hadn't been on our library book discussion list I probably wouldn't have picked it up. Although I was a comic reader as a kid I'm not a graphic novel reader now and because my husband is, I have plenty of oppurtunity to read some good ones but don't.

Maybe it is because this was a non-fiction graphic novel or maybe the fact that few words were used and the drawings said a lot. For what ever reason, I really liked this book despite the fact that it is another dark disfunctional family story. Also, David Small is from my hometown, Detroit, where the story takes place and he is about my same age.

The similarities end there and I can't imagine his misery and desolation. Surely his many accomplishments as an author and illustrator gratify him and his life experiences are an inspiration. And here we are again.....did he need such tribulation to become the man he is and why did he make it when so many others wouldn't have? It will be a great book to discuss!

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (sturmhaus) | 16 comments Here are a few articles that might help give us some background and context for this work:

1. David Small Finds His Voice in a Graphic Memoir, NYTimes 9/6/09 (an early review)

2. The Curious Case of David Small's Stitches, the Monkey See blog at npr.org, 10/21/09 (commentary on his nomination for a national book award)

3. David Small's Stitches: YA? Really? OK!, by Ron Hogan at Galleycat, 10/14/09 (about designating Stitches as 'YA' lit)

4. Inside Out: Graphic Sickness and David Small's Stitches, by Martyn Pedler at Bookslut (a good review by Pedler, who studies superhero stories)