Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Totally Off Topic > Chicagoland Vampires

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Fiendishly (new)

Fiendishly Bookish (fiendishlybookish) | 6 comments Hey, has anyone read Chloe Neill's Some Girls Bite and Friday Night Bites? I have a question.

In the books, there is a part where Morgan and Merit share blood in a bag in the kitchen and he "alludes" that she is doing more than just sharing with him. She racks her brain, cannot come up with what he is implying but the act between them seems "more".

Anybody have any ideas? Was it something sacred in the Canon that they did by sharing blood from the same source?

Stuff like this drives me crazy! Did I read too fast and miss the answer in the book?

Whahhhh! Help!

message 2: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 528 comments I read that and remember that. If you missed it so did I! I don't think it said. I cannot wait for Twice Bitten!

message 3: by Fiendishly (new)

Fiendishly Bookish (fiendishlybookish) | 6 comments Okay, more whining....whahhh! Lenore, glad we didn't miss super critical information! Thanks so much for your response!

But Twice Bitten won't be out until summer. I am a super impatient person. Well I guess I will practice some patience. Right now. :)

(practicing patience)

message 4: by Stacie (new)

Stacie H. (staciemh) | 75 comments I remember the section you mean! Since drinking blood from another vamp is really sensual and attached to sex, maybe the Navarre house views drinking blood together (from packages) as an intimate act. Maybe they only do it when they are in a relationship with another vampire, so would have meant that Merit and Morgan were a real committed couple in a serious relationship...I don't know, just thoughts, but definitely not from the Canon.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Major (kmajor816) | 24 comments I just finished Friday Night Bites and loved it. I agree with Stacie's comment. I think sharing blood replaces the act of drinking from each other.

message 6: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 48 comments I read the first one and LOVED it. Havent got to the second yet

message 7: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I agree with Stacie too. It's the next closest thing since the Navarre vampires can't drink from the source. I just finished the second book, and I am really liking this series. I like that we discover the world of the vampires gradually rather than all at once within pages of her Making. More realism.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather | 243 comments OK, here is a stupid question, do you ladies recommend this series? Hee-hee, why do I think I'll get hell yah from you?? I do like the vampire genre and welcome more suggestions. Which book is the first in the series?

message 9: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I definitely recommend it, especially if you like drama. It's light on the action compared to some other UF series. The first book is Some Girls Bite.

message 10: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 157 comments im goin crazy waiting for twice bitten.

message 11: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I know, it's going to drive me crazy, especially since I've heard there are more developments with Ethan and Merit in the next one! >.<

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather | 243 comments Kewl! I added it to my list. I liked Don't Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper and I started to like the Undead series by MJ Davidson but her heroine has gotten on my last nerves with the swearing..

message 13: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments LOL. I think you'll like this one then. :D

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Um, I got the idea from that scene that what they were doing was the vamp version of "getting engaged" maybe. Since he seemed to imply that there was something really big associated with it. So, I'm going for that. Now, he needs to get her a big honking ring--right? (LOVE my sparklies, what can I say.) lol

message 15: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments LOL! I don't think it's quite that serious an act, but I like the idea.

message 16: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (llogan24) Heather wrote: "OK, here is a stupid question, do you ladies recommend this series? Hee-hee, why do I think I'll get hell yah from you?? I do like the vampire genre and welcome more suggestions. Which book is t..."

hi, Heather - that is an emphatic Hell Yeah, no less!! it is such a good series. Neill is an excellent author, and the CLV series is wonderful!!! The protagonist, Merit, is kiss-a$$, and the series is full of great wit, banter, and some serious sexual tension. i'm anxiously waiting Twice Bitten (#3) due in July!

message 17: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (llogan24) new_user wrote: "I know, it's going to drive me crazy, especially since I've heard there are more developments with Ethan and Merit in the next one! >.<"

and Chloe Neill has noted that whereas SGB and FNB were PG/PG-13, Twice Bitten will be rated R. ooohhhh....can't wait!!! :P

message 18: by Tina (new)

Tina | 130 comments R rated huh? Now I'm really excited to read Twice Bitten. I luv these books. By far, my favorite vampire series.

message 19: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Don't tease me, Leigh. >.< LOL. I love the House system. It's unique and very real. I could totally picture it in Chicago, LOL. Scary.

I also love the magic system. None of this spellcasting business. This is HP for adults, LOL! I love that it's so sensual, natural and intuitive. If I imagined a magic system, I think it would be like that.

message 20: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Do we get to see more of the mayor in the next one? That's another mystery.

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather | 243 comments Leigh, OK, now I you got me. What is the second book in the series and is it based on the same characters?

message 22: by new_user (last edited Mar 25, 2010 11:55AM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments In order from left to right, books one, two, and three:

Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3) by Chloe Neill

And yep, they're all the same cast of characters. It's urban fantasy, so yeah, there's character and relationship development throughout, especially in this series. It's drama-centric. :D

message 23: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (llogan24) new_user wrote: "Do we get to see more of the mayor in the next one? That's another mystery."

not sure if we'll see the mayor more, but apparently there will be a new character, Jonas, that has peaked everyone's interest. on her blog awhile ago, Neill provided suggestions as to what celebs she thought would fit her characters, and she selected some really YUMMY guy for Jonas...so all of us readers were reallllly curious about that. she is a great author...she's on Goodreads, and she also has a Yahoo Group that she gets involved in as well, answering q's and stuff. very fun and down-to-earth. very approachable. :)

message 24: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Well, remember the mayor told Merit to contact him? And there's this mystery that's been built about his views of the sups. Why has he been avoiding the vamps and what's his take, etc.

That's good to hear she's nice. And I will not tease myself further by looking at that pic of Jonas, I won't! xD I'm already going to pieces waiting for the next book, LOL.

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather | 243 comments Got ya! I wrote them down and will check them out at either the library or Borders.

message 26: by Bella-june (new)

Bella-june | 1 comments so whats this club about i only just joined and it sounds pretty wicked. ima paranormal freak so yer..

message 27: by Heather (new)

Heather | 243 comments I checked my library and sure enough, I requested Some Girls Bite. Will let you know what I think of it once I finished the two books on my plate..

message 28: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 157 comments Leigh wrote: "new_user wrote: "I know, it's going to drive me crazy, especially since I've heard there are more developments with Ethan and Merit in the next one! >.

and Chloe Neill has noted that whereas SGB..."

R rated?? that makes me sooooo excited!!

message 29: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (llogan24) hi, Mariya - yep, me too!!!!! i'm ready to see Merit get some action!! lol!! :)

message 30: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments LOL! Hear, hear! Heather, looking forward to hearing what you think of it. :D

message 31: by Heather (new)

Heather | 243 comments OK, there are 3 copies of Some Girls Bite so as soon as they tell me I can pick it up, I'll run right over there!!

message 32: by Jas (new)

Jas (10jbean01) | 30 comments This has got to be one of my favorite series. And I LOVE it when authors put excerpts up to read...of course it also has the side-effect of making it even more frustrating that Twice Bitten won't be out until July 6th...

message 33: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (funlovinlady) | 138 comments Heather wrote: "Kewl! I added it to my list. I liked Don't Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper and I started to like the Undead series by MJ Davidson but her heroine has gotten on my last nerves with the swea..."

Heather,
I didn't like the "Undead" series very much either.
I found the humor crude. But, I really liked Molly Harper's Fang Girl series.

message 34: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (funlovinlady) | 138 comments new_user wrote: "I agree with Stacie too. It's the next closest thing since the Navarre vampires can't drink from the source. I just finished the second book, and I am really liking this series. I like that we disc..."

I think that you are right about the Navarre vampires blood drinking habits.

Isn't the next book coming out in July?
I HATE TO WAIT!

message 35: by Stacey (new)

Stacey The third book TWICE BITTEN is releasing on July 6 :) Three looooong months :(

So who's your favorite character? Merit? Ethan? Morgan? Jeff? Catcher? Mallory? I'm Team Catcher :)

And speaking of Jeff, what do you think he shifts into?

message 36: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 157 comments oh, god. july is soooo far away!!! i love ethan and morgan!!! and catcher!! god, i like all of the guys. all soooo hot!!! oh. but i love ethan my most!

this is like one of the best vampire series in my opnion! hurry up july! get her, already!!!

message 37: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (llogan24) Stacey wrote: "The third book TWICE BITTEN is releasing on July 6 :) Three looooong months :(

So who's your favorite character? Merit? Ethan? Morgan? Jeff? Catcher? Mallory? I'm Team Catcher :)

And speaki..."

okay...only 3 months...we can do this, right???? ;P

not sure i could pick one fav character, but i LOVE Merit & Ethan together. i'm definitely Team Ethan as far as Merit's love life goes. i really was pulling for Morgan until the middle/end of FNB.

****mild spoiler*****

i didn't like Morgan's whinyness or jealousy, and sure don't know what to think of him after reading the end, and whether he's involved or not.

****end spoiler*****

i also LOVE Mallory and Catcher together...they crack me up and i love how they can't keep their hands off of each other no matter where they are.

Jeff is an awesome character, too....hadn't thought too much about his shifting....maybe some type of cat.

message 38: by Stacey (new)

Stacey ****spoiler****

Morgan *sigh* sometimes I think he knows Celina is using him and sometimes I think he is oblivious to it. Regardless of her past mistakes I think he still have a certain level of respect for her, which is understandable to a point, but I think its clouding his judgement.

Something else I want to know is, who is the Ombud's secret informant?!

message 39: by Tina (new)

Tina | 130 comments I luv Morgan. I didn't think his jealousy was out of normalcy at all. I didn't find him whiney either. He really likes Merit and she is silently pinning for Ethan. I'd be jealous too.

I can't wait to read more. I can't say this enough ... this is my fave vampire series!

message 40: by new_user (last edited Apr 05, 2010 12:03PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments SPOILERS
I kind of lost respect for Morgan when it was revealed that he was still in contact with Celina, but I never bought their relationship, to be honest. He manipulated Merit into initiating a relationship at her induction ceremony. Maybe he thought that her resistance was insubstantial and prejudiced, but it was her choice to maintain that prejudice, irrational or not. (Not to mention, she might not have forgiven him for embarrassing her at the club and choosing Celina over her-- she should have been free to hold that grudge; forgiveness can't be forced.) He took the choice out of her hands and forced her into a relationship. A girl should have some choice about whom she's dating. If I were her, I wouldn't have forgiven him, even if I paid lip service and agreed to go out for duty or some such. It sounds like "principles," but it's kinda important that a partner respects her free will. Maybe Merit didn't forgive him. I think she mentions as much at one point (that perhaps she doesn't connect with him for that reason, although I think by now we know her preoccupation with Ethan is the reason, LOL).

message 41: by new_user (last edited Apr 05, 2010 12:12PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I'm really interested to see how Merit and Ethan's relationship can become healthy, LOL. I'm sure that's material for a few more books, considering all his issues. LOL.

Also, I love Catcher! I certainly don't mind imagining him all over the house nekkid, LOL! I like that Merit is honest about that to herself. It's so cute and funny how he and Mallory are like rabbits and caught everywhere. It was hilarious when Merit was trying to sleep and thinking "and apparently he's a machine because Mallory was screaming for the third time" or something like that. Yeah, I can see why she might want to move out, LOL.

Jeff and his confidence is cute too. I'm curious about his form. Loved that he's got no shame when Merit asked about it. ;) That scene with the nymphs though was a little odd. One of the few scenes I thought could have been nixed, LOL. He is mysteriously able to calm down weepy females and that is awe-inpsiring? "He'll be a great leader." Eh?

message 42: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 34 comments I wish Ethan would grow a backbone and start making it clear whether he wants to be with Merit or not :|
I really like Merit - it would be easy for her to be irritating, since everyone seems to have the hots for her, but she's a really genuine character.
Mallory got on my nerves in Friday Night Bites; at the end of the book she was a little harsh towards Merit, I'm starting to feel really sorry for her.
Also, I never liked Morgan - he bullied her into a relationship and then got annoyed when she ditched him.
The next book deals a lot more with the werewolf pack, which should be interesting. Hopefully Merit will get some action (with Ethan) - she says he's her Mr Darcy, but part of me wishes she would just find someone else since he treats her like crap.
Saying that, he did seem to suggest a relationship when they were dancing, and she shot him down. Hopefully when they both stop dithering and make up their minds they can put me out of my misery and just be together or shut up.
Celina will deffo be back, with the help of Morgan or not, and I'm not sure what to make of the mayor thing - he's a bit of a creep.
July is too far away... :(

message 43: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Yeah, Ethan just isn't willing to risk much for her. It seems he only wants a fling without commiting anything more than that. He suggests this and that, but he never suggests that he likes her. Mr. Darcy, you say. I suppose it'll take something dramatic for him to commit, LOL.

I do feel bad for Merit, LOL. She's deep in it, and she was just trying to write her thesis.

The next book is about the Pack? Awesome! I'm so intrigued by them. And the Pack leader. Why was the mayor a creep? I didn't think so! LOL. Is it because she kept mentioning that he appeared on TV "darkly handsome"?

message 44: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 34 comments I feel like Ethan's supposed to have the same appeal as Mr Darcy, but he lacks the charm to make it work. I think he really cares about Merit, but like you said, he keeps finding excuses not to be with her, and I can't see any immense reason why they can't be together.

The Mayor... I don't know, something about him seemed a little off to me. He obviously doesn't like Ethan, and I can't help thinking he has some sort of agenda to do with Merit. Also, he was a little tactless - telling her to call him in the day, insulting Ethan... He reminded me of a plastic Ken doll. But who knows, maybe there's more than meets the eye... :L

message 45: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Yeah, we need to see Ethan's charm. :D

message 46: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) I liked Some Girls Bite a lot. I'm happy to have another series to start while waiting for new ones in other favorites. I'm gonna go mark off my calendar for Chicagoland too. :)

If she ends up with Ethan, I hope it's only after she's made him squirm a lot.

message 47: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Mariel wrote: If she ends up with Ethan, I hope it's only after she's made him squirm a lot.

Er Mariel, no we do NOT hope that. We want her to make him squirm a WHOLE LOT more than just "a lot". and I don't see the Mr. Darcy thing either.

message 48: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Mariel wrote: "Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Mariel wrote: If she ends up with Ethan, I hope it's only after she's made him squirm a lot.

Er Mariel, no we do NOT hope that. We want her to make him squirm a WHOLE LO..."

Yeah, definitely. That was so horrible when he gave her away! He's like Darcy too in that Darcy wanted to maintain some kind of relationship with Elizabeth and stay close to her too, but when it came down to it, he would not acknowledge their relationship in any public form. He wouldn't marry her, he still thought it improper to associate with her, etc. Similarly, Ethan considers Merit beneath him. She's not as tailored as he would like, or as smooth, etc. Wasn't his type of girl mentioned at one point, girls he'd dated in the past? I can't remember. He needs to like her as she is.

They will probably require a series just to settle this relationship, LOL.

message 49: by Gemma (last edited Apr 08, 2010 10:38PM) (new)

Gemma | 34 comments Mariel wrote: "Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Mariel wrote: If she ends up with Ethan, I hope it's only after she's made him squirm a lot.

Er Mariel, no we do NOT hope that. We want her to make him squirm a WHOLE LO..."

I totally agree; he treats Merit like crap most of the time, so he definitely needs to eat a little humble pie. Having said that, I wish Ethan's character was a little clearer - he can be really mature at points, then do something that makes him look spoilt and selfish.

I wish Ethan's thoughts on the whole situation were a little clearer too. I'm not sure whether Chloe Neill wants us to believe Ethan thinks he's superior to Merit (hence the Darcy comparison at the end of the second book), or whether she just wants us to think he's conflicted about his feelings for her.
I think Merit's position is a big factor in it; Ethan seems to want her to be his 'consort', & is uncomfortable with her having duties and an important job in regards to the House (nearly as important as his, actually).

If we get a little clarification, I think I could like Ethan a lot more (though never as much as Darcy). I just hope it doesn't require a series to settle the relationship; too many series drag out a relationship for way too long, and I end up exhausted and bored waiting for the scraps the author deigns to throw me.

message 50: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. | 69 comments I saw a web post from the author saying the next book will finally have some romance/sex in it. After all romantic tension it's about time! But she didn't say who Merit's love interest would be.

I have mixed feelings about whether or not I want to see Merit & Ethan come together. The sexual tension has been going on so long, I'd like to see a conlusion but he's been such a jerk at times I just don't know that he's the right man for her. He will always put his House first and she needs a guy that can really love her.

**spoilers**
The comment from Gabriel, alpha of shifters, at the end of the second book about her being family really makes me wonder. It's got me thinking that: 1) she must have some shifter blood somewhere in her family, 2) I wonder if she will be able to shift if Gabriel shows her how to use the pack magic and 3) her love interest might be one of the new pack members. Maybe the character Jonas that Leigh mentioned? And I'd love seeing Ethan get his boxers in a bunch over her actually falling for someone, after the way he callously treated her.

Another thing about the shifter blood thing....that might help explain how she is so powerful and fast.

new-user, I agree with you on this...
<> Their relationship didn't go anywhere.

I do not want to see a relationship develop w/the Mayor. He seems too slimy to me and too into the rich snotty crowd with Merit's dad, which she doesn't fit into well.

Did everyone see the chapter excerpt is posted for the next book? It's awesome...LOVE the fight scene with Ethan. So hot!
http://www.chloeneill.com/merit3.htm

Also here's the link to how the author envisions the characters...pretty interesting. New character Jonas is hot! I wonder if he will be a shifter and a romantic interest for Merit?
http://chloeneill.blogspot.com/2010/0...

I love this series. Can't wait for Twice Bitten!!!

« previous 1