Jane Austen discussion

Side Read Jane Bites Back > General Thoughts -- With Spoliers

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Share your thoughts about this book -- love it or hate it?

message 2: by Bry (new)

Bry (utqtbry) | 9 comments Hated it sadly enough :( And I had been so ready to love it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, as soon as I finish I'll ask you why, even if I do have a good guess. (I'm halfway through)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, Bry, tell me why you hated this book. I forced myself to read through Chapter 24, but I can't take any more.

message 5: by Bry (new)

Bry (utqtbry) | 9 comments I only got to about page 180...don't remember what chapter that was. Sadly, I think it was Jane herself who annoyed me so much. She came across as so boring, plain, weak and practically a push over. I was almost yelling at her during her conversations with Byron when she gives into anything he asks for. I was thinking, your are a damn vampire, have some backbone!

I was also totally annoyed by how anti-climactic everything was. The Bronte lover Miranda hates her, so she takes her out, and you never hear from her again. Byron shows up, she outwits him with the silliest ploys and he just walks away. 116 people reject her book, then 1 person publishes it and every amazing thing like talk show appearances, etc come along without any further work from her.

How about you Jeannette? Why did you not like it enough to finish?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I think you covered a lot of how I felt. It just didn't hold my interest. Put aside the impossible, and everything else just didn't seem plausible. Byron couldn't spot the plastic teeth? Jane hadn't learned anything about her powers? She was always saying she was a "nice, human" vampire, but she was pretty nasty about people she didn't like (the "chastity" author, for example). And why did Byron show up after 200 hundred years anyway? Didn't quite see his motivation.

message 7: by Bry (new)

Bry (utqtbry) | 9 comments Exactly! You know I never thought about the fake teeth. Good point. I remember at one point Jane said something to her store assistant that you just knew that someone else was a vampire. And I remember thinking at the time of reading that part that Byron would be hearing her heart beat, smell she wasn't any different, etc.

And yeah, I totally didn't buy that he was tired of being alone and had to have her all of a sudden. Seemed fickle amd most likely boredom on his part to me.

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews) (merry816) | 41 comments *****SPOILIERS********

Having just finished this book I'm ready to jump onto the discussion, albeit a little late.

I made it all the way to the end of the book, which totally left you hanging. I see that there is a book two in the works. I'm not a big fan of finishing a book and still needing things explained. The Jane Austen Addict Books by Laura Viera Rigler did that. Yes, it may make people want to read the second book, but I'd rather have a satisfying conclusion, personally.

Totally agree about Byron. He would be able to tell who was or wasn't a vampire. I'd like to know a little more of a backstory about their relationship. Can you really see Jane Austen falling for him?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Can you see her falling for him and traveling to Switzerland to meet him? Who financed this trip?? But, if you are going to write fantasy, go all out!

message 10: by Bry (new)

Bry (utqtbry) | 9 comments Even without the vamp lore I could never see JA and Byron together. Then again I have never been a fan of Byron so maybe I am a bit jaded!

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim | 181 comments I'm super super late to post on the board - but I thought it might be an interesting discussion considering I liked the book.

I thought it was really funny and took it as a lighthearted read. I think Byron knew that her assistant wasn't really a vampire. I think he knew what Bronte was planning and was just watching out for Jane from afar.

I wasn't surprised that she didn't know about all the vampire powers. It says somewhere in the book that she didn't really hang out with other vampires - so it's not surprising that she doesn't know a lot about them.

I'm looking forward to the second book - this one really made me laugh - and a book that creates laughter can't be all bad right?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Kimberley! :)