Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

Sookie Stackhouse Books > From Dead to Worse

Comments Showing 1-50 of 114 (114 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie Write in this thread if you have finished the book and want to discuss it!

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa OK

Who else is glad Quinn is out of the picture? It seemed kind of abrupt though.

And - Eric remembers everything! The author didn't go there often enough for me in this book, but it sure is going to make life for Sookie more interesting!

Poor Sophie-Anne. This book sure made some major changes in the Sookie universe.

Overall - What did everyone think?

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa SPOILER ALERT - Any Sookie fans who are on my friend's list will be getting these comments so you need to ignore them until you've read From Dead to Worse!

SORRY!

message 4: by Susanne (new)

Susanne Hi, new here...
Sookie Stackhouse books are one of my new obsessions. I found her 3rd book on a whim at Hastings, and then went on to read the rest of the series. I read Dead to Worse in one night...It was over way too soon!

I agree Eric is hot, and remembering everything is gonna make the next books that much more exciting.... I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but Bill gets on my nerves!

I have to admit, I didn't like the way the relationship with Quinn ended. I really did like the big guy!

I can't believe we now have to wait another year! *ugh*

message 5: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (last edited May 18, 2008 04:49PM) (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments I just finished reading FDTW and was left a little miffed. I felt Mrs. harris could have done better, don't get me wrong i love the series, but i found this book to be nothing more than wrap ups and filler. I hoping that this book is the jump start to new things a coming in the next books.

Eric is definity the man for Sookie and I so wanted more scenes with them especially after he got his memeory back. i could have done with out all the Bob the cat business at the end but I was LOL when they said he fathered kittens I wonder how that's going to play out in the next books since he's human now.

I just wish we didn't have to wait another year as well.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I agree with you on the "wrap ups and filler" comment. I think that since a year goes by between reading these books, I forget what her writing style is like. It seemed that each and every character was in this book, just not very much of any one character.

I like that there is now a whole new group of vamps to deal with and they are Vegas vampires at that! I also like how it has been confirmed that she has fairy blood. I like how it all makes sense now that all these supes are so attracted to her. I find it hard to believe that Sookie will be happy with two roommates now. I'm wondering where that is going to go. I find though, that I can never guess what is going to be a key plot element with this author. For example, I never would have guessed that we would have heard so much about Bob the cat and that Quinn would just fall off the radar like that. So, just because I'm thinking about the older witch living in Sookie's house and thinking where could that be going, it probably won't turn out to mean anything in the next book.

Check out Anita's comment in the Paranormal Romance group, Sookie Stackhouse and Book Suggestions discussion. She went to a book signing and got lots of good info from Charlaine Harris about what is next.

message 7: by Angie (new)

Angie I haven't read any of these posts yet. But I am about to start my copy today!

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 471 comments Mod
Ugh, I too can't believe we have to wait another year for another book. Also, I too am glad that Quinn is out of the picture. However, I thought it was slightly crappy on Sookie's part to want to be numero uno and not deal w/his family's issues. Doesn't everyone have some type of inlaw issue? Granted, hers were a little steep.
Overall, I really liked the book and don't think I'll ever meet a Sookie book I don't like! I'm starting The Host tonight and just finished The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold -- AWESOME.

message 9: by Ranata (last edited Jun 06, 2008 02:09PM) (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) SPOILERS BELOW! DON'T SCROLL DOWN UNTIL YOU FINISH THE BOOK!

Melissa, I am so happy Quinn was out of the picture. The way she finally got to see him again was kind of strange. I didn't care though. I didn't like him with her.

I can't believe it took him sitting on her bed to remember what happened. I'm glad he remembers. The shower scene...wow. LOL

Overall, I thought the book was okay. It wasn't great and All Together Dead was a lot better and Sookie seems to be hardening from all the experiences she had. I can't believe Jason or that Crystal has jungle fever! I cracked up when Sookie was like "I hope it was worth it, bitch" to Crystal before smashing Calvin's hand. I mean I thought she was gonna have to fight him physically there at first but I mean, come on Jason, you're letting your little sister handle ur issue. How could he do that? I know she'll forgive him.

I think Sookie's great grandfather is kind of creepy. LOL

message 10: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Yeah the Bob the Cat storyline was lame and are we sure those were his kittens? LOL Like there are no other black and white cats out there.

message 11: by Nicole (new)

I think Sookie's gramps is creepy too!

message 12: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Nicole, I have to disagree. If they are trying to build a future together but every time you are turning around your in laws are calling him for something they could handle themselves you wouldn't feel like Sookie did? It's one thing to have people that depend on you but if she felt like she'd be 3rd in line after his mother and sister, why shouldn't she have expressed that? He disappears and she has no clue where the hell he is but she's suppose to want to stand in line for your attention? Nah, I agree with her. I'd have done the same thing.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I think the grandfather is weird too! So he doesn't live in her world all the time? Is that what we are supposed to understand? And how did he know to go through Eric? I didn't really get that. I have to say that I am looking forward to some more action in the next book. This one was missing some mystery and some action.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (shellyjanuary) | 4 comments Overall, I loved this book... but, like someone else said, I've never read a "Sookie" book I didn't like.

After reading your comments, I noticed some things that did irk me a little about it, though. The whole "filler and wrap-up" comment was dead on. Also, the lack of action. It wasn't that there wasn't any action... but that it was resolved so quickly. Unlike other books, this one didn't have one, ongoing story that developed over the book.

That said, I did love the interaction with Sookie and Sam. He is one of my favorite secondary characters. *spoiler* When he "changed" at the werewolf showdown and protected her... that was an awesome scene. Also, the details we learned about his past were interesting.

I, too, was glad to see Quinn go. It wasn't that I didn't like his character... he just seemed to be so inconsistent. I know that was part of his job or whatever, but Sookie seems like the type of girl who wants her man around a little more often. Also, I don't think I could have dealt with the family issues, either. Did Sookie hurt him when she told him flat-out she wanted to be #1? Yes. But she was also honest and up-front about it instead of hoping he'd change or trying to change him, which is valuable.

The one thing in this book that I totally loved was the final chapter, when Sookie sees her cousin's son. What a "WHOA!" factor in that scene, huh?

message 15: by Candie (last edited Jun 10, 2008 07:18PM) (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) SPOILERS****

I'm so glad Eric finally remembered! I was getting worried that it was forever gone from his memory! What will he do with all of his *knowledge* now. :-) Quinn definitely needed to go! He really annoyed me by calling Sookie "babe" all the time. It sounded like he didn't have any respect for her. She deserves someone that will treat her much better! Speaking of which, Sookie better not forgive Bill! He's smarmy! I'm wondering if there will be a Bill/Eric faceoff down the line for Sookie! Also, I listened to the audiobook and Gramps sounded so creepy. So, if you thought reading him was creepy, hearing him was MUCH worse! ;-)

message 16: by Angie (new)

Angie So far I am enjoying the whole great grandfather Fairy introduction. Haven't read past this yet, but I like the idea so far!

message 17: by Angie (new)

Angie Ok This was the worst book out of the series. I hate to be hard on it but I found myself bored and ready for the book to be over. Jael is totally right, wrap up and fillers. I felt like I had read this all before... were's fighting, vamps figuring out a leader, boyfriend trouble. I just felt it was the same story! I loved all the previous books. Maybe there are too many characters? It seemed like all the boyfriends were in this and blah blah. The fairy grandfather was interesting but it didn't really end up going anywhere. I just have to say I was disappointed in this book. :(

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments Angie- This is how I look at it, since this book was a "wrap-up" of sorts just think of how great boo nine will be with Sookie's mind reading nephew and the LV Vamps taking over. I think she introduced new things to Sookie's world to ensure us more great books, while not having to worry about old stuff hanging around. :)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments Do you guys remeber the book where Sookie says she remembers her Grandma hanging clothes outside and singing a song about a Fairy or something like that. When I was reading FDTW and Sookie's gramps was telling her the story about how his son met her grams I could of sworn I remeber a book where Sookie referenced that. Can u help me?

message 20: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessartisan) Jael, it was in book 2:
"Maybe there really /were/ fairies at the bottom of the garden, a phrase I remembered from a song my grandmother had sung when she hung out the clothes on the line."

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments Oh thank you I thought I was going crazy.When you read so many books with fairies and vampires as the characters confusion starts to set in.

message 22: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessartisan) I can relate! :D

message 23: by Angie (new)

Angie Humm.. I didn't remember that, thanks for the info! I hope the next book maybe brings in more fairy stuff. We need a new topic... personally I could've done without Alcee's story.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments Oh man I am so sick of Alcee That is one character I wish would die. I think he's weak. The way he let Debbie control him and his indecisiveness with Sookie is really annoying. I hope there is less of him and more of Eric in the future books.

message 25: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I hope you like it! I mean it's not the best in the series but it's not that terrible to me either!

message 26: by Angie (last edited Jun 18, 2008 07:35PM) (new)

Angie Shazzy I am dying to know what you think! Jael I am so sick of Alcee's story. It could get some sort of new twist to it but I feel like it goes on and on. Time to cut some characters.

message 27: by Kelly (new)

Kelly shazzy - it's not the bad. i think it's great setup for new stuff. i also think that she aligned all of the older characters into the position she wants them to be to help out sookie in the future. for example, even though alcee's story is getting boring, i feel that his new position as head of the pack was done so to help sookie in the future.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments Kelly- Maybe your right about Alcee but what help can he really give Sookie. I mean he couldn't help her when Debbie was trying to kill her b/c he was so conflicted. I think his new status puts him in the position but let's face it if it's a woman he's involved with trying to get Sookie he'll be pretty useless.

P.S. is his name Alcee or Alcide? Didn't i see two versions of that name in this series?

message 29: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I THINK IT IS ALCIDE. AS FAR AS HELPING SOOKIE GOES, I THINK HE CAN DO A LOT. I FEEL THAT ALCIDE WAS +/- FORCED TO GROW UP DURING THIS BOOK. IN OTHER BOOKS HE SOUNDED LIKE A LITTLE PUP. HE'S OPINIONS MATCHED HIS FATHER'S. AFTER HIS DAD DIED, THAN HE SOUNDED LIKE A WOUNDED PUP. OH, CRY FOR ME, MY DADDY WAS KILLED UNFAIRLY, BLAH BLAH. (NOT TRYING TO SOUND TO CALLOUS, BUT JUST GOING WITH THE ENERGY OF THE BOOK).

WITH THE SITUATION OF PACK MEMBERS BEING KILLED, INCLUDING HIS G/F, I THINK HE WAS FORCED TO LEARN THAT THE WORLD DOSEN'T REVOLVE AROUND HIM. HIS DECISIONS AFFECT THE PACK AND NOW HE HAS A LOT OF RESPONABILITY. (SORRY MY SPELLING IS POOR). IF HE'S NOT GOOD AT THIS ROLE HIS POSITION WILL BE THREATENED...WHICH AS HE KNOWS MORE THAN ANYONE COULD MEAN DEATH.

I THINK THAT AFTER HE ADJUST TO HIS NEW RESPONSIBILITIES HE CAN BE VERY BENEFICIAL. FOR EXAMPLE IN A FIGHT AGAINST THE LV VAMPS, HE COULD DEMAND THE PACK TO HELP DEFEND HER/FIGHT WITH HER. ALSO, IT CAN BE ONE OF THOSE SITUATIONS, IT'S NOT WHAT YOU KNOW, IT'S WHO YOU KNOW. SOOKIE IS BUILDING UP A NICE COLLECTION OF KNOWING SOME TOP DOGS. SOME PEOPLE WILL THINK TWICE ABOUT MESSING WITH HER, OTHERS WILL BE MORE WILLING TO GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO HELP HER B/C SHE CAN PUT IN A GOOD WORD (EX: HER ROOMMATE'S DAD).

message 30: by Kelly (new)

Kelly PLEASE NO ONE THINK THAT I'M YELLING, B/C I TYPE IN ALL CAPS...I'M WORK...AND EVERYTHING I DO IS IN ALL CAPS.

message 31: by Nicole (new)

Good pull Jess! I remember that too.

message 32: by Angie (new)

Angie I just want Alcide's story over with. I just feel like the story with him is dragging. Same story.. were's fighting with each other... Alcide's other girl friend drama (Marie Star and Debbie). I guess if his story switched gears a little... I would enjoy his story better. I really liked his character when he first came on the scene but I just feel like same story different book.

Kelly, what job do you do that you can't change your CAPS? Just curious?

message 33: by Angie (new)

Angie Do you guys think the Were's and the Shifters will go public? That would make an interesting next book.

message 34: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (last edited Jun 20, 2008 01:26PM) (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments Thanks Shazzy I knew I saw two versions of the name. I remember thinking that's a little confusing. I hate when they have character with similar names , or two characters with the same name.

Yeah I think FDTW was set-up for the Weres and Shifter to finally come out. I wonder how that's going to play out?

message 35: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I just think it's really cool to have some new vamps around. And Vegas vamps! Wondering where that is going. I'm not too thrilled with the witches living with Sookie. I'm sure we'll see much more of the Fae and get into that aspect. I didn't give much thought to the weres going public. Not sure how Sookie will fit in with that.

message 36: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Shazzy, I'm glad you liked it more than I did. I thought her breakup with Quinn was pretty abrupt but I'm not complaining because again, this leaves room for her and Eric to hookup.

message 37: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (ladykatherinebookgoddess) I just finished it this morning. I was almost bored with it...I kind of couldn't wait until it was done. I love Bob, and I don't know why but I think I liked him better as a cat. I loved how Bill just popped out of thin air whenever I damn well pleased. There wasn't a single thread to concentrate on. There was the new king, the Were war, Jason and Crystal, Tanya...ect. It felt scattered. Does anyone else get the feeling that Charlaine is going to give the Sam\Sookie nonsense another go? I also don't know how I feel about Alcide anymore.
I love Eric more than ever now! I would love some alpha male Viking calling me "lover." Who wouldn't??

message 38: by Angie (new)

Angie I think you just said what I have been trying to say but couldn't put it in words. Too much was going on. Too many stories, too many characters in one book. I think she might need to kill off a main character. Though I don't want to suggest who because I don't know! I loved though how Eric remembered everything. Maybe Sookie will finally settle down with him.

message 39: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Bill was so full of it. I was like DIE, JUST DIE! already! I did like when Sookie was like, after Bill said he would give anything to lay with her again, "maybe he just remembers the virgins?".

Katherine, I kinda couldn't wait until it was over either. LOL. I liked All Together Dead better than this one and I wasn't impressed with that one either. I mean, I just got into the series last year. I read them in a span of 5 months but I think her earlier ones were alot better than the last two released.

message 40: by Mical (new)

Mical I'd have to say that, while there was a helluva lot going on; I think that the point was to resolve some things and answer some questions. From the feel of it we won't have to deal with Jason any more (or for a while at least) and Bob the cat is taken care of; finally. The Quinn issue is resolved more or less. So it felt like a spring cleaning of the story arches. I hope that she focuses on only one or two things in the next book. Too much and too many plots are as bad as none!

message 41: by Kelly (new)

Kelly i know jason is one of the most disliked characters, but i have a feeling that there will be at least one chapter dedicated to a sookie/jason resolve. i know what he did was shady, but he's still her brother. don't forget, sookie knows how he is. she's dealth with his selfishness all her life. yeah she gets pdoff, but she stews for a min, says her bit, and it's done. she needs a blow up on him and than all will be good. but it's only worth a portion of a chapter.

message 42: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (ladykatherinebookgoddess) Too much and too many plots are as bad as none! That it putting it perfectly.

message 43: by Angie (new)

Angie I used to like Jason.. I thought maybe he would have a better life after getting married and now he will probably go back to his old ways.

message 44: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I agree with you, Kelly. She's just upset right now but it's her brother and he's the only living relative (well human relative) left. She'll forgive him. Probably not in book 9 but I think she'll come around.

message 45: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Jason and Crystal belong together. Two people that are bastards.

I did find it hilarious that Crystal had jungle fever, though. LOL

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (shellyjanuary) | 4 comments I think the point of Bill saying he'd die for Sookie was that he was basically saying he loved her more than Eric does because Eric wouldn't willingly die for her. I think she even mentioned that after Bill said it (unless I'm remembering wrong... I don't have the book anymore so I can't go back and look).

I'm conflicted about who Sookie should be with. It seems like a lot of you want her with Eric. I think Eric is an awesome character and (sounds) hot as hell, but I don't necessarily think she belongs with him. And what Bill did was unforgivable, so I don't see her ending up with him, either. Maybe Charlaine Harris will introduce a new love interest in the future...

message 47: by Melissa (new)

Melissa That is exactly what I was thinking (introducing a new love interest). I figured with all the Vegas vamps coming into the story she'd find someone else who was attracted to her faere blood and we'd be wondering who would win her heart. I'm going to have to be careful, otherwise I will have too many expectations going into the next book!

message 48: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I don't find Bill's comment that he would die for sookie as genuine. He said it as a competative thing against Eric more than as a heart felt statement towards Sookie. Also, as the series progressed his character just seemed less and less appealing. If he was so in love w/ Sookie than why did he even bother w/ that annoying girl he dated and brought to the wedding. It shows that regardless of how he felt, it was still important to him that he get some on the side.

With regards to Eric, I feel that as the series goes on, Sookie and Eric are developing a trusting friendship as well as a romance. To me it seems that w/ that respect that have more of chance of working out. He didn't grandstand and say that he'd die for Sookie b/c I think that at that moment a comment like that would have ended up w/ her getting hurt by the LV vamps. Also, it would make him vuneralbe to the vamps b/c than they can hurt Sookie to make him do what they want.

I don't know, it may sound dumb....but I think Eric was being smart.

message 49: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Kelly, you hit the nail on the head. I think Bill just said that to try to sway her but I think she'll get with Eric before she'll ever go there again with Bill.

Eric remembers everything and in the end, I think that will beneficial to them making a go at a relationship.

message 50: by Phoebebb (new)

Phoebebb I really do like this series but they are just not as fun as they used to be. I agree with Jael, this book was just wrap ups and fillers. I'll still continue to read this series and probably reread the whole set one day, but sadly this last one has disappointed me.

« previous 1 3