Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Here's why I love Heavy Metal

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments very cool. i am sure it is every guitar players dream. is that an ESP he is playing? the "flying V" style is not an easy guitar body shape to play if you are not used to it although i think metal guys are used to playing unconventional shaped guitars from BC Rich, Jackson and others.

message 2: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Metal has always been about the fans. The true value of a metal band can be measured by their fan base, regardless of airplay (which is non-existent, anyway) or album sales.

The fact that Machine Head allowed a fan to get onstage and shred with them is very, very, very cool.

message 3: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments That was so cool. I love that he was hugging all the guys at the end. Heavy Metal is all about the love! hehehe

I missed out on being a metalhead in high school. But this reminds me of playing ShadowRun in college all night with my roomies (I was the only chick in the apt). I may just wear my hair teased out huge and sport some rockin' ripped t-shirts and tight jeans this weekend in honor of all the metalheads out there. :) \m/

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I read somewhere that this week is the 40th anniversary of Sabbath's first album.

God bless the Sabbath.

message 5: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Hee-hee-hee That made me giggle RA. Somehow I don't think they'd want that blessing. ;)

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) That is quite funny!! but it wouldnt be nice to curse them! although I have to say that Ive been in bands that seemed maybe a tad godless you could say but not card carrying Satanists either!lol And I think anybody can use a blessing!

message 7: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "It is the 40th anniversary. Forget Led Zeppelin, that first Sabbath album is the album that changed the world."

Well, it certainly rocked my 12-year-old world. Never mind back-masked messages as Satan's calling cards. Sabbath were the real deal. Tony Iommi's playing seemed the stuff of myth and pipedream, Ozzy bellowing something about wizards and evil women and opening the door to demonic forces and suddenly it's witching hour, all attractive stuff to a kid weaned on the Stooges and MC5. Charged music designed to get youngsters in the mood to pair up with unsuitable mates, fornicate, smoke hemp, and engage in wild behavior.

I saw them at Cobo Hall in 1974 in support of "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" and the sound was mixed with the bass so low and so loud I was fully convinced I was having a heart attack.

There are those who would have you believe the Dio-era Sabs albums are worth your while, but I never had much use for them. Your results may vary.

message 8: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I've heard Robert Randolph brings fans up from the audience to play with him.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have seen robert randolph and he didn't do that at the show i saw (with clapton...) but that would be cool if he did. during his shows all the band members switch instruments on a song so that each of them play each instrument during the song. they all can really play the pedal steel guitar as well as the others really well

message 10: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I was at a Midnight Oil gig once, when all of a sudden Peter Garrett brought what seemed to be the entire front row on stage to play with the band during "The Dead Heart." That must have been a big rush for the audience, and the band seemed to really enjoy that moment.

The Arcade Fire does something similar with the audience as well. More bands should take that approach.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my sons band just lets people yell out songs at one point of his show and the band tries to do it. great fun and usually semi-successful. i know that elvis costello used to do a big wheel that he spun to see what song to sing

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Midnight Oil on the Diesel and Dust tour at the Metro, in Chicago, was one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

Kevin could be Peter Garrett in a Midnight Oil tribute band.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments the time has come!

message 14: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Agreed.

Midnight Oil always put on a high-octane, high-energy show. Great, great, great band that's gone sorely under-appreciated.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh my God, in Vienna...

I kinda frowned on Machine Head in the late 90s when they tried to hump the New Metal train by wearing flashy jumpsuits and silly beards.

I frowned some more when they tried the retro studded wristband shit some years ago

shit. can't find a vid of the fan "singing" Sick of it All's Rat pack..

message 16: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Yeah, I forgot to mention Iggy. I saw him perform on an episode of Session at West 54th, where he brought the audience on stage for Lust for Life. Awesome. I wish I coulda been there.

message 17: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "I like both but there is NO SUBSTITUTE for the original. Something about the lo-fi sound in the recordings and Ozzy's "guy right off the street" vocals send shivers down my spine to this day."

I guess I'm in the minority because I actually like Dio-Sabbath better. Although I hate the comparison because they were two completely different bands. Dio pretty much dominated the band and if you listen to any of his solo albums and "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" you'll realize that those are Dio's albums. And they put on a great show when they were touring a few years ago.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.