Comfort Reads discussion

Chit Chat > The Olympics!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lee (leekat) | 3959 comments Mod
Okay everyone, I'm starting a thread for Olympic chat because I know a few of us are big fans. I'm very excited especially because we are the host country. So chat away about your favourite Olympic events, athletes, news and gossip here!

message 2: by Hannah (last edited Feb 12, 2010 10:07AM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) I love the Winter games! Bring it on Canada!!

message 3: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

All right Hannah! I'm busy checking the schedule of events right now and strategising how I can distract my daughter from the Treehouse channel so I can steal some tv time.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) I'm an Olympics junkie and have been since probably 1968, or earlier. I'm actually hoping I won't be glued to the set for 17 days. We shall see.

I'm really upset because Vancouver is in my time zone but the tv stations are showing virtually everything on tape delay so that the "good" stuff shows up in prime time. I love watching events live! Ah well.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Good idea! I'm totally excited about the games, maybe even more than usual because I have cabin fever lately.

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 375 comments I, too, am very excited! Although, we currently don't get TV so will have to watch things online and I'm not sure how good that coverage will be :-/ Like Lisa, I am bummed because I am also in the same time zone and wish we could see things live. I love the Opening Ceremonies and am a huge fan of downhill skiing and figure skating! I used to watch figure skating all the time in my teens (mid'90s) but it hasn't seemed as popular lately as it used to be so I'm starved for it :-)

message 7: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

I too hope they broadcast events online. I have a feeling I won't get to watch a lot of live events but I'll try.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Speed skating, bobsled, luge and ski jumping. I can't watch figure skating anymore after all of the scandals.

I am hoping Vancouver will ask for some of the snow in my yard!! lol

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 375 comments Jeannette wrote: "Speed skating, bobsled, luge and ski jumping. I can't watch figure skating anymore after all of the scandals.

I am hoping Vancouver will ask for some of the snow in my yard!! lol"

Oh, gosh, I guess I really have been out of figure skating since I am not too clear on what all the scandals have been. It's always sad when things like that come up and ruin the sport for those playing by the rules :-(

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) OMG. This is sad news. A luger has apparently died in a luge crash:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports...

This is such a tragedy to his family and friends.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 12, 2010 12:47PM) (new)

Hannahr wrote: "OMG. This is sad news. A luger has apparently died in a luge crash:

That is horrible! It appears that they designed the course to be too fast. I would hate to see the event cancelled, but I don't want to see anything like that happen again.

message 12: by Lisa (not getting friends updates) (last edited Feb 12, 2010 02:43PM) (new)

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) Yes, it's very sad about the luger. All the luge people have worried about the ultra fast track. There's one turn they've named 50/50 because there's a 50/50 chance lugers will get through it. I think every Olympics tries for really fast courses because they want world records but humans do have their limits, even these elite athletes.

ETA: I've heard they are going to consider all options including starting down lower so they'll go slower.

Also, some of the entrants aren't "experts" in their sports and they're more at risk, usually.

message 13: by Paula (new)

Paula | 184 comments That is tragic. I know the point is to go fast, but those guys have absolutely no protection, so you would think they would somehow set up the perimeter to cushion blows. Then again, when a human body is going 140-150 kph, I'm not sure what you can do to offer protection in the event of a crash. That poor family...

message 14: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

I'm watching the opening ceremonies right now and I'm liking how they are honoring the boy who died. The entertainment is very tasteful.

message 15: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

I just saw a tape on the news of the luge accident. It happened very fast. That poor boy was gone in a second.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

We were just talking about how dangerous a lot of the Olympic events are. The downhill skiers are always getting injured, the ski jumpers have had multiple knee and acl replacements. Scary stuff as they push harder and go faster.

message 17: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

You're right Jeannette, many if not all the events have potential for serious injury. I'm watching the training run for the luge and it seems they are altering the track, especially on the curve where the accident happened.

message 18: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Yes, it's very sad about the luger. All the luge people have worried about the ultra fast track. There's one turn they've named 50/50 because there's a 50/50 chance lugers will get through it. I th..."

I wish they had thought of that "before" this poor boy died.

message 19: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

I just want to send out some love and good wishes for our figure skater Joannie Rochette who's mom died suddenly of a heart attack two days ago in Vancouver. Joannie is skating tonight in the women's short program.

message 20: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lee wrote: "I just want to send out some love and good wishes for our figure skater Joannie Rochette who's mom died suddenly of a heart attack two days ago in Vancouver. Joannie is skating tonight in the wome..."

I second that, what a heartbreaking story. And, I also hope that the media respects Joannie and her family's need for privacy at this difficult time.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) Lee wrote: "I just want to send out some love and good wishes for our figure skater Joannie Rochette who's mom died suddenly of a heart attack two days ago in Vancouver. Joannie is skating tonight in the wome..."

I know. How tough is that!

The Canadian ice dance pair were lovely last night. I was so happy that they won. Of course, I'm rooting for both the Canadians & the U.S. athletes. (I love the music to the Canadian National Anthem.) I"m actually rooting for all sorts of people. As I hear inspiring story after inspiring story I root for a lot of the athletes, including many competing against the others. (I'm watching way too much tv these 2 weeks.)

message 22: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 16 comments I really wish there were more stories about the athletes - especially ones from other countries that don't have a lot of representation at the Games. Most of them don't have the training facilities that the bigger/more wealth countries offer their athletes and it would be nice to know their stories. I love hearing about where they live and their training.

message 23: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Yes, the ice dancers were fantastic! And they are so young! I just saw them interviewed and they were talking about how they had been working with some acrobats from Cirque du Soleil to make their lifts more creative.

Wendy, I like it when they do profiles on athletes from around the world too. It's so fascinating to hear about all the obstacles, injuries and other issues they overcome to make it to the Olympics.

I just watched the figure skater from Turkey do her short program. She was adorable and I've never seen a skater from Turkey!

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) ABC used to do a better job with the Olympics than NBC is doing. (U.S. coverage)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "ABC used to do a better job with the Olympics than NBC is doing. (U.S. coverage)"

Agreed! I'm not sure what else to add, but I'm doing the whole nodding along with ya' thing.

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 24, 2010 07:39AM) (new)

Yes, he was quite the sore loser. The Russians haven't been dominating this time, have they? And Plushenko should be happy with his silver. I am sure that Daisuke is thrilled with the bronze! And Lysacek was just wonderful on and off the ice.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Fortunately, I haven't been following all of the reports (I really don't watch much tv). That's a bit ridiculous for Putin to be weighing in, like he knows anything about ice skating! haha Like someone else said (I've discussed this on another group, too), it's ice skating not jumping! Guess it's a translation problem!

And, all of these officials and their biases. I said at the beginning of the games that I hoped there wouldn't be any more skating controversies. I see I hoped in vain.

message 28: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 375 comments I agree, I, too, was rather disgusted by Plushenko's behavior. It just kind of put a sour note on the whole competition. I heard that he has updated his website to reflect his medals--"Silver of Salt Lake, Gold of Torino, Platinum of Vancouver." Um, what!?!? He made up his own medal? That just seems beyond sore looser to almost delusional. Sad!

Meanwhile, I, too loved the ice dancing and was so happy with the Canada/US Gold/Silver outcome. Those were absolutely GORGEOUS skates and seem like such nice people, too :-) Now THAT'S what I love about the Olympics.

message 29: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 375 comments Very true, Abigail. In fact, I heard the interview with Apollo Ono where he spoke of that very thing. The media and whatever else creates this "USA vs. Korea" thing given how the speed skating races have played out, but he said that, overall, he has a really good rapport with his fellow athletes--something that audiences rarely get to see.

message 30: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

It's a shame the media hypes up this aspect of the competition instead of the friendship and camaraderie of the athletes from all over the world. Many of them train and travel together and are very good friends. I don't like the divisive feeling that gets created with one country against another. Really these athletes are all so hardworking and talented and it has nothing to do with politics or national boundaries. Yuck, why can't we all just be friends.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, Lee, simple but true.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

It is true that some of these athletes "don't like" each other, but the opposite is also true. The announcers do mention friendships over and over. Lindsey Vonn great friends with the German skier. And, weren't the Chinese pairs skaters friends with Lysacek (they train together)? And there is even a husband and wife team who skate with other partners!

I think some of these athletes are under tremendous pressure to win and have been so wrapped up in themselves and the sport that anything less than gold is unacceptable. I think some of it is definitely a remnant of the Cold War, too.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, ass or not, it's part of his culture that I hope the world can someday overcome (which is probably pie-in-the-sky). The whole idea of the games is "world sportsmanship, comraderie," etc, but rivalry and politics are too much of it, too!

message 34: by Lee, Mod Mama (last edited Feb 24, 2010 08:42AM) (new)

I think Plushenko is an ass as well. When he pretended to step up on the middle podium at the medal ceremony I thought it was in such bad taste. He is truly lacking in humility.

message 35: by Manybooks (last edited Feb 24, 2010 08:52AM) (new)

Manybooks Abigail wrote: "Sorry, but this has really been rankling me: I also find it extremely objectionable that IOC President Jacques Rogge dismissed Plushenko's bad behavior - both in interviews and at the awards ceremo..."

I remember that. It made me realise that the Olympics are basically Euro-Centric and I have actually stopped watching them for the most part (I do watch figure skating at times). I often cheer for the underdog (and, I always cheer for countries like Jamaica, Barbados etc. in the Summer Olympics, because they show such joy, such happiness when they win, it is so refreshing). Also, I find that it is generally not the athletes (except for some cases like Plushenko etc.), but often the media and Olympic officials that create controversy and show unsportsmanlike conduct.

And, I do think that there is quite a bit of racism in international sports. Most Europeans would not dare to take verbal shots at African American athletes, but just look at the problems they (and the rest of the world) have created for this poor South African sprinter. She believes herself to be a woman and so she should compete as a woman, but there are many people who not only firmly believe that she should not be able to compete anymore, but that she should be punished for supposedly cheating (how can a medical condition, how can her natural anatomy be deliberate cheating). I believe that if she were not African, this would never have become such a contentious issue.

message 36: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

What!!! I didn't know that. I am at a loss for words.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Cheer up Abigail. Maybe in another 100 years? (That's what I keep hoping, at least.) Human nature is what it is -- good and bad.

message 38: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Abigail wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "Well, ass or not, it's part of his culture that I hope the world can someday overcome (which is probably pie-in-the-sky)..."

I hope so too, Jeannette! I was so discouraged, when ..."

That's sick. And, Iran also will not allow a woman to walk in front of them bearing their country's name in the opening and closing ceremonies. Makes me too angry to speak (almost but not quite).

message 39: by Lisa (not getting friends updates) (last edited Feb 24, 2010 11:34AM) (new)

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) Re Evgeni Plushenko. I am appalled, as are all my friends, and I think the world is as well. He's a sick, sick man, and I think very depressed/angry too. It's a shame. I notice most of the competitors are very gracious, hug one another, etc. It's a shame, but he's hurting himself the most. I'm heartened by the behaviors of most of the athletes I see at the Olympics.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Congrats to Canada on the hockey game. That was painful to watch at the ending for me, but it was an exciting game. I never watch hockey either.

message 41: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

I had the tv on mute and had nodded off but woke up when I heard all the screaming, honking and carrying on from the neighbours and cars outside. From what I saw it was a very exciting and close game.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) I am not a hockey fan but often watch a couple of Olympics games. I'm so happy that I watched this one. I was rooting for Canada but I'm glad it was so close. That was the most exciting game I could ever imagine!

message 43: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

It's much more fun to watch when the game is a close match isn't it? I always feel sorry for those smaller countries who send teams and get beaten by 16 goals or something awful like that.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) Lee, Me too. Although it depends. Sometimes they have so much joy in just being there, I can have fun watching them.

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura | 294 comments Ohhh Canada...congratulations!!! both finals, hockey and curling were just terrific!!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I missed the curling! :(

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Christine wrote: "I missed the curling! :("

I don't have cable, so I had to watch whatever the network offered. I used to watch curling on the CBC network when I was a kid.

message 48: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (muskoka) | 178 comments It really was exciting! I wish we had be able to go to Vancouver. I talked to some people who were there the first week and they said it was absolutely amazing. All that energy and partying in the streets ever day, to say nothing of actually seeing events. Other friends just got back, so I'm looking forward to a detailed account.

message 49: by Kathryn (last edited Mar 02, 2010 10:28AM) (new)

Kathryn | 375 comments One thing that distresses me is that so many of the athletes are already so wealthy and successful going into the games--some, like the main hockey players, are pros, and I heard the gold medalist women's figure skater is already a millionaire in her country. Not to take anything away from them and their talent, but it just seems like the games are getting elitist. I think this comes up especially in the winter games when there is so much equipment and training facilities and all that go into these sports that are, let's face it, pretty expensive to play. I heard that I think it's White has a secret snowboarding venue built somewhere and he helicopters in so no one can see him working on his tricks. No wonder most people compete in the games just for the chance to be there and represent their country, never with a chance to medal. I wish we saw more of their stories highlighted in the media, though.

Even with all the negativity, I do think it's still an exciting event that can do a lot of good and I love the bright moments. Congrats to Lee and fellow Canadians on the hockey game. What an exciting way to end the Olympics and, even though the USA lost, I was secretly kind of rooting for you guys since it just would have been such a bummer of an ending to the games if the host nation lost in their No. 1 event!

message 50: by Lance (new)

Lance Greenfield (lancegreenfieldmitchell) | 697 comments Well. The London Olympics are over.

Or are they?

We still have the Paralympics to come in less than two weeks time, and they can be even more inspirational than the competitions that we have all witnessed over the past two weeks. I am sure that they will be, and that I will shed a few tears during my admiration of some very brave people.

Then we only have four years until it all kicks off again in Rio de Janiero!

I have to say that I am immensely proud to be British right now. In 2000, I thought that the Sydney games were the best ever. They were. They could never be bettered. I think that they have been. Well done to London for the best games ever. Well done to Great Britain for being such fantastic hosts and for organising such a brilliant event.

And well done to Team GB, or Team UK as they should properly be called, for coming third in the overall medals table! Who'd've believed it? OK. The mighty USA and China beat us, but little old UK beat mighty Russia and all the rest of the world. Britain (and Northern Ireland) is truly GREAT!!!!!!

« previous 1