Terminalcoffee discussion

Rants / Debates (Serious) > Should the new 9/11 aerial photos go public?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 12, 2010 05:51AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.npr.org/templates/story/st...

"Some survivors may find these pictures too painful to look at," said Richard Zimbler, president of the WTC Survivors Network. "But they are an important part of the historical record."

I agree completely.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Chilling.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Amazing pictures, so telling.

message 4: by Catalina (new)

Catalina | 268 comments Is there a question about whether or not they should go public? It seems many of them already have. I can't imagine anybody trying to suppress them, even if they are painful to the survivors. Pictures of this nature of wars and natural disasters are ubiquitous.

message 5: by Félix (last edited Feb 12, 2010 06:19AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Catalina wrote: "Pictures of this nature of wars and natural disasters are ubiquitous."

Not only that but they're all over the place.

Sorry. I guess this sn't the place for humor.

message 6: by Catalina (new)

Catalina | 268 comments If this were RL, I'd give you a big hug, Larry.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments That's a good point, Catalina...ABC had to use the Freedom of Information Act, from what I understand, to get the pics.

I love the Freedom of Information Act.

message 8: by Félix (last edited Feb 12, 2010 06:27AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Side note: During the Bush (43) Administration years, FOI lawsuits dragged on for years, becoming more costly than most regular people could afford. I believe it was a conscious strategy, part of the "Unitary Executive" concept that flowed from the Cheney folks.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Catalina wrote: "If this were RL, I'd give you a big hug, Larry."

You mean ... it's not?

message 10: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Agreed. And with the utmost respect and sympathy towards the survivors of the 9/11 attack on the WTC, the historical significance of these photos far outweighs their worries over triggering suppressed trauma.

message 11: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I remember reading that John Ashcroft told federal agencies early in his tenure as Attorney General that the Justice Department wouldn't put any real effort into investigations when citizens complained about FOI violations. There were times when we requested federal documents as a newspaper and it took 2 years to get a response, and then we'd get something redacted beyond the point of being useful.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I heard the same sort of thing from a cousin's husband who was the publisher of the Jonesboro, Arkansas Sun.