Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Book Club Nominations > MARCH WINNERS: The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Howl's Moving Castle

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fiona (last edited Feb 25, 2010 03:54AM) (new)

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna (DFiggz) | 1332 comments WOW there are so many great books!!! I was torn between which to nominate but I decided to go with one of the books I am planning to read for my ABC Title Challenge:

cat 2. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

message 3: by Fiona (last edited Feb 12, 2010 05:50AM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) coughcough but that isn't YA unfortunately :( sorry it is a good book though and I can't think why it should be banned.

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna (DFiggz) | 1332 comments OOPS LOL I got too excited!!! Is the The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger considered YA?? I read it when I was in JHS.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill (reedye) | 71 comments Wow is right Donna! Some surprising titles there so I'll go for Haddon, Mark – The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time for cat 2.

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Thanks Donna and yes I think The Catcher in the Rye could definitely go under YA. People read it in high school and it is relevant to YA.

message 7: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I myself am going to liven up the first category with a nomination for Howls Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna (DFiggz) | 1332 comments OK So that's my vote for Cat. 2! I have been maening to really read it (not just JHS style, if ya know what I mean!)

Bill, I have read The Curious Incident... and it was interesting...

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill (reedye) | 71 comments Just interesting Donna? I've had it since it came out but the huge fuss about how good it was put me off so it went away for later. Forgot about it until I saw it on that list. Banned? That intrigues me! I thought it was universally lauded, won every award going and was pretty much essential reading!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Fiona wrote: "I myself am going to liven up the first category with a nomination for Howls Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones."

wow...never saw that one coming.

message 11: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I am full of surprises. Now where is your nomination?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Fiona wrote: "I am full of surprises. Now where is your nomination? "

I'd rather just piggyback yours :)

message 14: by Donna (new)

Donna (DFiggz) | 1332 comments Bill wrote: "Just interesting Donna? I've had it since it came out but the huge fuss about how good it was put me off so it went away for later. Forgot about it until I saw it on that list. Banned? That intrigu..."

I mean I like dit but It was just good. I didn't feel that it was Great. Just good!

message 15: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Bill and Donna -- I LOVE Curious Incident. One of the most interesting and unique narrators I've ever read. And he has a rat! (huge bonus points in my book).

I'm going to go with The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky for Cat 2. One of the most frequently banned books, and one of my personal favorites. I read it aloud ever year at a Banned Books Readathon. (If you've read it...well, yeah, I read that aloud...)

message 16: by Bill (new)

Bill (reedye) | 71 comments Great! Thanks Misty, another one to add to the list. Never heard of it before.

message 17: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Fiona wrote: "I myself am going to liven up the first category with a nomination for Howls Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones."

Just finished that because of your 5 star rating- it was excellent!

message 18: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) I would like to nominate Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer for category 1

message 19: by Serenity (new)

Serenity Cat.1: Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty

message 20: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Great nominations so far guys, keep them coming!

message 21: by Hayes (last edited Feb 14, 2010 10:35AM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) I'll try again with:

Cat 2 The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Mark Twain

PS: I was really surprised to find that Handmaid's Tale and Lolita are considered YA. They are on the first list you gave us, Fiona. Am I being too old fashioned?

message 22: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Hayes wrote: "I'll try again with:

PS: I was really surprised to find that Handmaid's Tale and Lolita are considered YA. They are on the first li..."

Lolita is not YA, as far a I know, and shouldn't be... and I'm not old fashioned.

message 23: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine)

Cat. 1 Hate List by Jennifer Brown

message 24: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) Misty wrote: "Bill and Donna -- I LOVE Curious Incident. One of the most interesting and unique narrators I've ever read. And he has a rat! (huge bonus points in my book).

I'm going to go with [book:The Perks..."

You ARE brave, Misty! There were a few parts in Perks I wouldn't want to read aloud in front of an audience! :-)

I tried Curious once before but didn't finish. I just picked it up on swap again, to see if I can get through it. Asperger's is a newly near and dear to my heart issue...

message 25: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Hayes wrote: "I'll try again with:

PS: I was really surprised to find that Handmaid's Tale and Lolita are considered YA. They are on the first li..."

I was surprised too I suppose it is studied at high school though by some, but that doesn't make it YA, by far.

message 26: by Arya (new)

Arya (Izlandzadi) | 686 comments The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima

Beilieve me it is better than it sounds - and there are not any real demons in it! Just to let y'all know!

message 27: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Arya yoou forgot to say which category that is in. Banned books or not?

I will put the polls up soon and as I said, I won't include it if it doesn't contain category, title and author information.

message 28: by Arya (new)

Arya (Izlandzadi) | 686 comments Oh - sorry! It is Cat 1. Thanks so much for telling me!!

message 29: by Shauna (new)

Shauna | 15 comments Cat 2 Banned Books: To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee

message 30: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Shauna, we have already read TKAMB, if you want to talk about it though feel free to find it in the book discussions folder.

Right I better put these up for polling. I forget February is a short month.

message 31: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Nominating and voting is OVER and as you may have noticed........ we have our WINNERS!

The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Howls Moving Castle.

I am particularly happy about Howl. One of my absolute favourites.

message 32: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Yay Howl!! I can finally read a group read!! (Re-read in this case)

message 33: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Hehe I think I'll have to re-read it too!

message 34: by Donna (new)

Donna (DFiggz) | 1332 comments Well that's good. I would like to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower

message 35: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Fiona wrote: "Hehe I think I'll have to re-read it too!"

Haven't you got it memorized by now? *tee hee*

message 36: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Almost, but not quite. HEHE I have read it many times though... it's a comfort book.

message 37: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) I actually listened to Howl's Moving Castle earlier this month and the audio book is so much fun!!

message 38: by Arya (new)

Arya (Izlandzadi) | 686 comments Really? Maybe I should listen to it instead of reading it! I LOVE audio bookS!

message 39: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Arya wrote: "Really? Maybe I should listen to it instead of reading it! I LOVE audio bookS!"

You should! I loved it! One of my favorites.

message 40: by Arya (new)

Arya (Izlandzadi) | 686 comments ok maybe I will!

message 41: by Miss Bookiverse (new)

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) ^ Arya, I listened to an audioversion of Howl's Moving Castle and it was really nice. What I didn't like was that it was abridged and that you have to listen really closely because there's so much going on all the time. But if that doesn't bother you, you should go for the audio version :)

message 42: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Abridged? What's the point in abridging Howl, it's so short! Boo!

IO've never been able to get into audio but I'd like to try a DWJ audio...

message 43: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) The one I listened to wasn't abridged, so it was just fine. Just make sure you get the unabridged one.

message 44: by Donna (new)

Donna (DFiggz) | 1332 comments I am waiting for The Perks of Being a Wallflower to be at the library. I wil let you guys know when I start it but it seems like there is going to be a long wait. I hope it gets here before March is over!

message 45: by Arya (new)

Arya (Izlandzadi) | 686 comments Thanks Infinite Playlist!

message 46: by Donna (new)

Donna (DFiggz) | 1332 comments FIONA!!!! Can you send me the link again for the banned books??? Just wanna take another look at it for my own sake!

message 47: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Which link? I don't think I kept it... where was it?

message 48: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I don't think this is the one but a different one:

http://www.ci.springfield.or.us/LIBRA...

Typically I couldn't find that the first time I searched for banned book in the YA category.

message 49: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 342 comments I'm glad to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Howl's Moving Castle. Although I've already read both, I am going to try and reread Wallflower. I've had a special interest in it since I knew of an instance where two librarians removed it from the high school library shelves, a bit of stealth censorship.

Some great links for banned books are:
http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy... (This American Library Association site gives other resources, too.)

http://www.ncac.org/Books

http://www.abffe.com/bbw-booklist-det...

http://www.banned-books.com/

http://www.booksatoz.com/censorship/b...

message 50: by Donna (new)

Donna (DFiggz) | 1332 comments Got it.