Mormon Kids discussion

Books > Recommendations/Favorites

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

There are a LOT of varieties of books that a variety of people love, and I want to know what Mormons are reading these days! Plus, what do you think Goodreads is all about, anyways? My favorites are Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan, Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling, and... thats it so far xD

message 2: by Frostdust (new)

Frostdust (frostdustbizzer) I love Percy Jackson and the Olympians

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished reading that and it was sooooo good! I'm going to go see the movie tonight and I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed :(

message 4: by Frostdust (new)

Frostdust (frostdustbizzer) i'm going to see on monday

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I saw the movie. It was really bad at following the book :(

message 6: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Yeah, it was bad at following the book, and Annabeth was awful. :( She should've been played by Anna-Sophia Robb! But I thought Grover was awesome, and so was Percy (not to mention he was really cute! xD)

My favorite books are The Book of Mormon (of course!!), Howl's Moving Castle, Mistborn, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Blood Heir (as in the heir of something by blood, it's my sister's book, and it's awesome), Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Vampire Knight, and Fullmetal Alchemist.

The last few are graphic novels, and I'm considering taking Vampire Knight off the list because the last few chapters have been so infuriating!! >:( My favorite of all of them as of now is Tsubasa. I'm currently reading it, and I die each time I read it because it's so wonderful and amazing. <3 <3 <3 !!!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Lindsay wrote: "Yeah, it was bad at following the book, and Annabeth was awful. :( She should've been played by Anna-Sophia Robb! But I thought Grover was awesome, and so was Percy (not to mention he was really cute! xD)"

Hahaha he was really cute lol! But the guy who played him is 18!!! I don't like that fact :-/

message 8: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Really? Well, Annabeth was 25 or something. She was so annoying. But I thought Percy was a really great Percy, and they couldn't have gotten a better one. Except, just Percy when he's fifteen and sixteen, not... twelve.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually, Annabeth was 14 xD Yeah, Annabeth bugged me. During Capture the Flag, Annabeth was... hurting Percy. Clarisse was supposed to do that. They didn't even bring in Clarisse! That bothered me also. Well, a lot of things bothered me ;) Yeah, Percy is supposed to be 12, so that was a little off.

message 10: by Lissy (new)

Lissy Ya to be perfectly honest though I thought they hit Annabeth's character dead on, though her description was way off. Annabeth irritated me in both the movie and the books!! :D Totally destroyed the last two books for me she did......... Oh well!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm starting the second book. Its pretty good so far!

message 12: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay ★ Lexi ★ Daughter of Poseidon ★ wrote: "Actually, Annabeth was 14 xD Yeah, Annabeth bugged me. During Capture the Flag, Annabeth was... hurting Percy. Clarisse was supposed to do that. They didn't even bring in Clarisse! That bothered me..."

What?? But everyone's been saying that she was 20. :\ That's all I heard. And I know! It was so dumb that Annabeth was taking Clarisse's spot. She was so dumb. But the thing that bothered me most was that Percy didn't hug Poseidon in the end! They just shook hands! I was like, "Hug your daddy, Percy!" but he didn't! I was so angry.

message 13: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Elisabeth wrote: "Ya to be perfectly honest though I thought they hit Annabeth's character dead on, though her description was way off. Annabeth irritated me in both the movie and the books!! :D Totally destroyed th..."

You thought they got Annabeth's character? Oh, I didn't really think they did. Then again I haven't read those books in a while. I finished the last one, like, two days after it came out. xD I've been an obsessed crazy fan since I was in fourth grade. I just wish she would have called him "Seaweed Brain." That was their thing!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol! Yeah I know. It was really messed up. I am such a wimp, I almost cried at the end of the book lol. I felt nothing at the movie. Haha it just didn't have the same effect.

message 15: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay I liked the movie, I just thought that the book was a thousand times better. Ah well, that's the way it always is. *shrugs* Okay, just thought I'd ask: WHY DOES ANNABETH HAVE BROWN HAIR?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! She has blond hair, people! They could have at least given her a wig or dyed her hair or something!!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

That's the most obvious change! The director... Oh my gosh, when I call and complain to him and tell him that his movie is jank... Lol not really. But I want to SOOOOO bad.

message 17: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Yeah xD Don't you agree that Anna-Sophia Robb would've been the perfect Annabeth? After the description of her, and then her personality in the book, that's exactly how I imagined Annabeth. Are they making a second Percy Jackson movie? Cause I think they should. Because Zeus was... AMAZING!!! I <3 Sean Bean!!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah Anna-Sophia Robb would've been awesome. Lol I'm afraid of what they'd do to the next book... Lol I love Sean Bean's name!!! I like to call him Seen Bean xD And then Emma told me... she said, "What if Sean Bean was in our church? We'd call him Brother Bean!" Lol its awesome.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah. =D

message 20: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay :P Sean Bean does have an awesome name, but even more awesome roles!! He's Borimir in Lord of the Rings, Ian Howe (oh my goodness there's this guy named that in my ward!!! :O) in National Treasure, and then Odysseus in Troy (I saw that movie edited by clean flix :D), and now Zeus! How did he worm his way into two Greek movies? Because Ancient Greece is the best.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol good point!

message 22: by Cait (last edited Mar 29, 2010 07:52PM) (new)

Cait Davidson (caiti_cat) | 33 comments Anyone ever read the Hunger Games? <3

message 23: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Okay... So, I have a favorite book that I recommend :)

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks.

That ones is sooooo great! I LOVE it!

message 24: by Frostdust (new)

Frostdust (frostdustbizzer) yes i have read the Hunger Games

message 25: by Steph (last edited Apr 01, 2010 04:21PM) (new)

Steph  (poseidonsdaughter) Lindsay wrote: "I liked the movie, I just thought that the book was a thousand times better. Ah well, that's the way it always is. *shrugs* Okay, just thought I'd ask: WHY DOES ANNABETH HAVE BROWN HAIR?!?!?!?!?!?!..."

I absolutely HATED Annabeth in the movie, but at least the director had the deceny to make Athena's hair brown too even though it was totally wrong! Annabeth is amazing in the books I think!

Hey everyone! When people discuss Percy Jackson, I MUST join the conversation so sorry for intruding!

message 26: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Haha, that's fine, that's fine!

message 27: by Daysha (new)

Daysha | 9 comments I haven't seen the movie yet because I have to finish reading the book first haha. I am almost done and so far I am loving it! :)

message 28: by Steph (last edited Apr 03, 2010 10:27AM) (new)

Steph  (poseidonsdaughter) You definitely should see the movie! It's still way good, it just doeesn't follow the book.

P.S. Don't get too attached to Ares or Clarisse in the book when you see the movie.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I am reading this awesome series called The Mortal Instruments series. It is SO good!!! Ack. It says I am stil on the first book. I will have to change that...

message 30: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Ah, that. I read that then stopped because it so obviously copied from Bleach...

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

What's Bleach?

message 32: by Jayda (new)

Jayda MI series is copied from Bleach, Lindsay? Are you for rizzle? My friends LOVE Bleach but I have yet to see it...

Emma, it's an anime show.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah. Have you read the Mortal Instruments series, Jayda?

message 34: by Jayda (new)

Jayda I read the first one. I have yet to get around to reading the other ones, though :)

message 35: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 57 comments Ella Enchanted is really good...

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Jayda wrote: "I read the first one. I have yet to get around to reading the other ones, though :)"

Sweet! I am on the last one. It is SO good.

Lindsey wrote: "Ella Enchanted is really good..."

Is there a book for it???? I loved the movie.

message 37: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 57 comments OMGosh the book is so much better than the movie!!! :p Don't get me wrong I really liked the movie as well, but the book is so much better!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Sweet! I wanna read that! I didn't know it had a book!

message 39: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 57 comments You totally should!