Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Buddy Reads > Black Magic Sanction **SPOILERS** starting 2/23

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sstogner1) | 38 comments anyone going to the book signing on the 23rd? I'll be there and will start reading the book that day. Anyone want to join? Black Magic Sanction (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #8) by Kim Harrison
Start:2/23/10 Kim Harrison

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments I plan to read as soon as I get a copy. I'll let you know when I start reading.

message 3: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) I'll be reading it ASAP as well. This is one of the few series that I drop everything for.

message 4: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Dobson (marissadobson) I will be reading it as soon as I get it. I have it pre ordered so I should receive it on Feb 23rd. I cant wait. My hubby's birthday is the next day and I laughted and told him that that book and a few others that come out on that day are my present to me on his birthday. LOL.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sstogner1) | 38 comments That makes perfect sense to me .

Marissa wrote: "I will be reading it as soon as I get it. I have it pre ordered so I should receive it on Feb 23rd. I cant wait. My hubby's birthday is the next day and I laughted and told him that that book and a..."

message 6: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Oh me me!!!!

This series is on my TO READ AS SOON AS IT COMES OUT list! lol

message 7: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Dobson (marissadobson) YEA I just came back from Walmart and I picked up this book. I am going to start reading it as soon as my husband heads to work. I cant wait.

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sstogner1) | 38 comments Marissa wrote: "YEA I just came back from Walmart and I picked up this book. I am going to start reading it as soon as my husband heads to work. I cant wait."

lucky dog!!! I can't decide if I should get it this morning (after kids go to school) or wait and buy it at the book signing tonight.

message 9: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I will be going to the book store after work today!!!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments I just got my copy today!

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sstogner1) | 38 comments Went to my first book signing with Kim Harrison yesterday. That was a lot of fun:) She gave some insight into where the series is going. There is going to be 12 or 13 books. There will be an end and it will be happy. She said she loves her happy endings. She is real excited about the next book coming out. She likes Trent as much as I do . And says there is going to be some Rachel/Trent interactions in the next book. They have to make a long car ride together and she hinted that it might bring them closer . Got my book signed and started reading. I should have it done in the next few days. Should we set up a "spoilers" thread for the book?

message 12: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

This thread will do fine for spoilers :) Since its a buddy read thread.

message 13: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sstogner1) | 38 comments Just finished! Kim said this book was kind of a bridge for the next one. And she starts to introduce her next story arc in this one. I think I know where she is going. Anyone with any ideas?

message 14: by Vicci (new)

Vicci (theibookemporium) Hi! I just started listening to the audio book 2/26/10. I had to go back and listen to the last few chapters of the last book to refresh my memory. I will stop by once and a while and leave comments as others post. But I am going to try to avoid spoilers.

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sstogner1) | 38 comments There is a great discussion going on at Kim Harrison's Drama Box about who Rachel will end up with and why. No one is a fan of Pierec . I think he is using Rachel as a means to an end, mainly living forever. She can do it and he hopes she has the means to help him do it. I think he does love her, but in a "you are the answer to all my dreams" so of way.

A lot of people are pulling for Minas or Al. Which I don't see her going for full demon. My hope is for Trent. Their relationship is going to progress in the next book. What would have happened if that Pandora Charm hadn't gone wrong. Would Trent have confessed something? Kissed her? So many things to ponder over the next year!!!

message 16: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Personally I would like to see Al soften up more and end up with Rachel.

I know thats odd and I am sure I am a minority in wanting that to happen.

Better then that I would like to see her and Trent together. Though with how they want the elves to be a perfect race I doubt that would ever happen.

I am reading this book currently and so far I am LOVING it...

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sstogner1) | 38 comments They are starting to divide into "Teams" over at Kim's Drama Box . I am Team Trent of course, but there are many Team Al people. As well as Team Minas, but no Team Pierce . Some think Newt might be behind Pierce and Rachel getting together.

message 18: by Sarah (last edited Mar 01, 2010 02:10PM) (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments Wait, isn't Minias dead? I thought Newt killed him?

Can anybody pinpoint why they don't like Pierce? I've been curious about the general dislike for him. I don't really have a problem with him, since he hits me like a male version of Rachel. If I can excuse Rachel for some of her dimmer moments (read fairy attack), then I can excuse Pierce for his.

I don't mind Al, but he's not really *relationship* material. He seems to care for Rache.

message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sstogner1) | 38 comments They feel that Kim wouldn't just dismiss Minias with a one line from AL saying he is rumored to be dead. The key being rumored. So everyone is hoping he is still around and since he is so close to Newt he would help her with whatever plot she has going on.

Why the Pierce haters? Don't know. Seems most don't like how he just kind of dropped into her life without much character development and the leprechaun said something about everyone having their own agenda. And he just seems to perfect to be true.

message 20: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I like Pierce. His character hasn't been well developed yet, but I'm sure we'll get to know him better in future books. I liked Marshall, also. I don't think he was cut out for 'life with Rachel', though. That takes a very special person! I'm not a fan of Trent. In earlier books he killed with impunity and I can't forget that. Besides his treatment of Rachel in the past was appalling. That said, if Harrison wants to put Trent and Rachel together, who am I to object? It's her story.

message 21: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I also like pierce a lot. I don't know why people don't like him.

I would be fine if she ended up with him and learned some things from him to make her more powerful.

I would also like it if she stopped having issues with killing people. I mean, I like that she has a conscious, but the fairies attacked HER and her HOME. She had every right to defend that even if that means the death of the attackers.

I didn't like at all how she wussed out on that..

message 22: by Vicci (new)

Vicci (theibookemporium) I think this was the longest and best of the series. Not sure how much to tell about the book, since I have finished it.

message 23: by Vicci (new)

Vicci (theibookemporium) Pierce is just ok. He's just too sweet, too nice, so considerate and too accommodating. I keep waiting for the angle. I like Trent, I know what I am getting, he's a pain, spoiled businessman and ruthless. But there is something about him that pushes my buttons and the friction between him and Rachel....

message 24: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I agree Vicci, there is something about him (and Al as well) that just makes for an exciting match.

The whole sweet thing about Pierce is nice but I think you are right that he is too considerate.

I really don't know where I want Rachel going after this book.. I just know whatever she decides is going to be interesting :D

message 25: by Vicci (new)

Vicci (theibookemporium) Yes, Al does have that it thing going on as well.

message 26: by Vicci (new)

Vicci (theibookemporium) Though I really do miss Kisten. I cried when he was died.

message 27: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Yea me too Vicci :( I really almost stopped reading the series because of that. I loved it so much and I was crushed...

I took a break from it and read other things and came back to the series and its still my favorite but that was a huge blow imo to the series.

message 28: by Paula (last edited Mar 04, 2010 05:35AM) (new)

Paula (pauldajo) Tricia wrote: "I would also like it if she stopped having issues with killing people. I mean, I like that she has a conscious, but the fairies attacked HER and her HOME. She had every right to defend that even if that means the death of the attackers"

I agree. A lot that happens to Rachel is not her fault (some is!). When other entities go on the attack, Rachel needs to defend herself. I get tired of Rachel getting bruised and battered and not getting revenge. Rachel is a very moral person and she stands by her principles, but come on!

message 29: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Yeah, that is the one thing that gets on my nerves so bad lol.

If someone were trying to kill me, I mean REALLY trying to kill me (as in dead, gone, poof) I would feel no remorse in killing them first. lol

message 30: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) Same here and if they were going after my family, even less than no remorse!

message 31: by ☻Nikki☻ (new)

☻Nikki☻ C (nikkic1998) Well, Kim has confirmed that Minias is dead on her Drama Box (even though there's no body) so he's out of the picture.

Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Black Magic Sanction (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kim Harrison (other topics)