College Students! discussion

music, movies, tv, etc. > Boardgames?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David (canadiandave) So, I'll admit, I'm a bit of a gamer. I generally don't like video games (there's a few exceptions on wii). I prefer board games; more personal interaction, more thought. When I don't feel like reading or playing ultimate frisbee, a boardgame (or five) usually comes off the shelf.

So, opinions? Any games you love? Or do you loathe boardgames in general?

Anyone up for a game of Dominion, Small World or Yspahan?

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I love Apples to Apples! It's so much fun to play with a big group.
I also really like the Scene-It games.
You'll have to explain what Dominion, Small World and Yspahan are...

message 3: by Drew (new)

Drew Hamilton (drewhamilton) Battleship. That's all I gotta say. :)

message 4: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Love board games/card games! My friends are big on that so I've learned to enjoy them.

Love Apples to Apples, Cranium, Quelf, Sluff, Catch Phrase, etc.

Also, I love the classics..Monopoly, Clue, Scrabble, Sorry etc.

What were your favorite childhood games?

I loved Chutes and Ladders, Candy Land, Guess Who?, Boggle. etc.

message 5: by David (last edited Feb 11, 2010 02:33PM) (new)

David (canadiandave) I've gotten into the bigger strategy games lately:

Agricola, Ingenious, Puerto Rico, the aforementioned Yspahan, Dominion, and Small World, Settlers of Catan, Powergrid, Pandemic, and Shadows Over Camelot.

Light games would be Ticket To Ride, Citadels, Bohnanza, Mexican Train, Bang!, Sleuth or Guillotine.

Occasionally, when we have many people, we pull out the party games like Apples to Apples, Once Upon A Time..., Guesstures, Scattergories, Boggle, Quelf, Cranium, etc.

I grew up on Clue, Scrabble, Battleship, Guess Who, MouseTrap, and my all-time childhood favorite, Connect Four.

message 6: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Ahh how could I forget about MouseTrap and Connect Four!

We play Ticket to Ride sometimes. I am so horrible at it!

message 7: by David (new)

David (canadiandave) Have you ever tried Once Upon A Time... using Apples to Apples cards? Best and randomest storytelling game ever!

message 8: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Favorites from when I was young: Connect Four and Husker Du,and Stratego.

Don't really play many any more. We did have about 12 or 13 of us the other night playing pictionary. And if you are into card games, Phase 10 is pretty fun.

message 9: by Monica (new)

Monica (monbon211) | 89 comments I love scrabble

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) Love Scrabble, me and my mom play pretty regularly and I am proud to say that after playing with her for nearly 15 years I can beat her most of the time.
I used to play a lot of Ticket to Ride but I was too good so no one wanted to play with me.
It's not really a card game but almost every Sunday my mom, her partner, and a family friend play mah jong.

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I'd forgotten about connect four! I loved that game. Anybody else play Balderdash? Love it. It can be a little scary playing with my family though... I saw a whole new side to a few of my relatives. lol
Catch phrase is a blast to play with a group.

message 12: by David (new)

David (canadiandave) Mad Gab anyone?

message 13: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments I loved the boardgame Life when I was little. I haven't played it in years and I've been dying to try it out again. I bet I can convince my parents to play a game with me the next time I see them. LOL

Chutes and Ladders and Candy Land were games I also loved to play, but only with my brothers (no parents!!).

message 14: by Matthew (new)

Matthew All I need to say about my childhood is Fireball Island

message 15: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Never heard of it..what is it?? I'm intrigued.

message 16: by Matthew (new)

Matthew from boardgamegeek.com

A plastic tiki idol is placed in the raised middle of a molded, 3d board, where it can rotate freely. Players move their explorer pawns up the sides of the mountain along paths and through caves, trying to reach the top of the mountain, retrieve the idol's giant ruby, and take it down the other side to the waiting boat. However, both the idol and volcanic vents throughout the board periodically spit out "fireball" marbles, which physically roll down the mountain, either plowing through explorer pawns in their path, or toppling triggered bridges as they pass under them.

message 17: by David (new)

David (canadiandave) I totally forgot that game!

message 18: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Ooooh, that sounds like fun!

Anybody remember Mouse Trap?

message 19: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (amazingact21) I love board/card games.

As a kid, Sorry!, Trouble, and Chutes and Ladders.

Now, I play Apples to Apples and ImaginIff.

But my all-time favorite board game still is Candyland. I wore out two or three boards just by playing it so much.

message 20: by Kelly A. (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments Ooh I loved Chutes and Ladders! My childhood best friend and I still play it sometimes :)

Still to this day, I have never played Candyland, Mouse Trap....or Monopoly. What kind of childhood did I have?!

message 21: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Kelly wrote: "Ooh I loved Chutes and Ladders! My childhood best friend and I still play it sometimes :)

Still to this day, I have never played Candyland, Mouse Trap....or Monopoly. What kind of childhood did I ..."

Oh my goodness!! Go find those games for cheap and play them!! Especially Candyland!! :)

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments I LOVED Mouse Trap but for some reason my parents wouldn't buy it for me and my brothers. I would get so excited to go over my cousins house and play it with them. I probably drove them crazy. They also had a hamster that we would put in the bathtub on the game for some reason which was so funny at the time.

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I'm a big fan of Sorry, Candyland(classic), and Scrabble.

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) my mom refused to buy us Mouse Trap because she swore we would lose the pieces

message 25: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments My parent's wouldn't buy me Mouse Trap for the same reason. They also wouldn't let me have legos. :-P

message 26: by Matthew (new)

Matthew I love scrabble too! Facebook has a good scrabble app if anyone ever wants to play.

message 27: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I loved Hungry Hungry Hippos, Mouse Trap, Candyland, Life, Guess Who, Connect Four...ahh there were so many! We also used to play Where In The World is Carmen Sandiego a lot.
But the game Operation always scared me. I hated the noise it made if you touched the sides!

message 28: by David (new)

David (canadiandave) Hey....my family has Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego! I just played Star Wars Epic Duels and Cleopatra and the Society of Architects. I have all the games that are awesome and nobody's ever heard of.

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments I love board games we play them all the time.

Ticket to Ride
Settlers of Catan- i am horrible at
Carcassonne- i kill my husband in farming. It is quiet funny
Bokus
Scrabble
Lost Cities
Baulderdash
Taboo
Cranium
Pictionary

card games
old nuts- some people call it peanuts
500 rummy
crib

message 30: by Lynn (last edited Feb 23, 2010 07:22PM) (new)

Lynn I love playing games! All the classic board games, of course... and card games like ERS, Nervous, Speed/Spit, Spoons, Crazy 8's, Bull(shit), Kemps... but the absolute best is MAFIA!!!

It's been soooo long since I've played any of these!

message 31: by David (new)

David (canadiandave) I've never played a game of spoons where blood was not spilt. Even the ones which weren't full contact and where we didn't put the spoons on the other side of the room with two couches in between us and the spoons.

message 32: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments ERS! Love that game! I used to play it with my cast-mates in high school in between scenes. Good times. :)

haha, David same here. I've seen the dark side of some of my friends playing spoons. lol

message 33: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Lynn wrote: "I love playing games! All the classic board games, of course... and card games like ERS, Nervous, Speed/Spit, Spoons, Crazy 8's, Bull(shit), Kemps... but the absolute best is MAFIA!!!

It's been ..."

Oh my gosh. All those card games takes me back to middle/high school youth group!

message 34: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Most of those games we played at recess in middle school (yep I had recess in middle school! haha) or on free days in HS. Where did those days go?

Spoons, Mafia, and Nervous were still played quite a bit during my last few years of college.. We got so into Nervous that our hands got swollen from all the hitting. The Brazilian in our group called it "Smack That"

Spoons was always dangerous too. People were always getting hurt, b/c we played the version where the last two people just kept wrestling til someone had the spoon. David, I bet your version with the spoons across the room is EPIC!

message 35: by David (new)

David (canadiandave) They were amazing. Diving over the couch and having someone yank you back by the leg midair as the scramble over you. And then, if you were first, you could grab the lot and take off running. Good times.

The worst was with the spoons in normal place in the center of the circle and having a girl with long nails jab into the back of your hand.

message 36: by Kelly (last edited Mar 04, 2010 01:49PM) (new)

Kelly | 308 comments I love cards games!!
Euchre
Live pool Rum
gin

I also love spoons!! I remember we use to play it at family reunions, and one time it got so intense that I ended up bleeding all over the table...not good lol I think the older people thought we were nuts.

message 37: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Hey does anyone remember the rules of ERS? I haven't played it for a couple years and can't remember most of the rules...

message 38: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 308 comments I've never even heard of ERS. I'd like to know the rules as well!

message 39: by Lynn (last edited Mar 04, 2010 04:16PM) (new)

Lynn ERS = Egyptian Rat Screw (or at least that's what we called it!) Can be played with 2+ people.

You divide a shuffled deck of cards (minus jokers) equally among the players. No one looks at their cards or anyone else's. You hold your deck face down in one hand. One person starts by quickly flipping down the first card in their deck. If it's any number card (not a face card, see below) then the next person does the same and so on around the circle. If someone puts down a face card, then the next person has to put down a certain amount of cards depending on what face it is:

Jack - lay down one card
Queen - two cards
King - three cards
Ace - four cards

Whoever laid down the face card gets the whole pile. They add the pile facedown to the bottom of their deck and the game just keeps going. The whole point of the game is to get all the cards. There is also a lot of slapping involved. Everyone tries to be the first to slap in on sandwiches (i.e. 8, 2, 8. We also played manwiches: 8, 2, 3, 8.), doubles, and there might be something else... but those are the only ones I remember.

Whoever slaps in first gets the cards. If you flinch, I think you had to put a card underneath the pile. If you run out of cards, you're out but you have the opportunity to slap back in.

I think those are all the rules... It's been quite awhile since I've played it!

message 40: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I loved playing Egyptian Rat Screw. It could get violent at times though! Anyone who played had to take off any rings, watches, or bracelets.

message 41: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Thanks Lynn!

message 42: by David (new)

David (canadiandave) I think the last time I played ERS, I was in Brazil. That was right up there Spaz Uno (green grass, red heart, yellow mind, blue sky).

message 43: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 308 comments Wow Sounds like a lot of fun. I want to play now!!

message 44: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Last night I remembered the other thing you slap! If two cards add up to ten, you slap. i.e. 2, 8 or 3, 7 etc. Sometimes we would also do ten sandwiches: 4, 5, 6. You just always have to clarify what you're slapping for before you start.

It is a lot of fun kelly and super easy to play once you get the hang of it!

message 45: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Anyone ever play Pitch? (the card game)

message 46: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Oh that's right! I knew there was something else.

message 47: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) Matthew, my boss plays Pitch weekly and it always sounds like fun

message 48: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Great game. I used to play it at camp when I was a kid, no one around here knows it.

message 49: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments We played pitch this weekend. Im not very good but it is a fun game.

message 50: by David (new)

David (canadiandave) Just played Stone Age and Sorry Sliders for the first time this past week. They are both great games!