The Book Ends discussion

Book Related > Just Finished

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allie (new)

Allie (literarilythrilling) What book have you just finished? Would you recommend it?

message 2: by Allie (new)

Allie (literarilythrilling) I just completed The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and I completely loved it. It's an historical fiction novel, with some Gothic qualities about it. A mystery, a ghost story. Just fantastic.

She has a new book coming out this year, apparently, and I'm incredibly excited to read it though I cannot find anything about it (other than one is scheduled to be released).

message 3: by Stéphanie (new)

Stéphanie (stephlrx) I just finished City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare. It's a YA book but I liked it anyways. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys YA books and supernatural/fantasy books.

message 4: by Christa (new)

Christa (c_hrista) I just finished Jaws. It was pretty good, but I'm not sure that I'd recommend it to anyone else for any reason other than "they made a movie about it."

message 5: by kris (new)

kris I finished Elantris by Brandon Sanderson a bit ago, it was pretty excellent. I'd been hearing good things about him so since Elantris was a standalone I figured it'd be a good way to get a feel for his writing and I'm so hooked I've just started the first book in his Mistborn Trilogy and i've got another of his standalone books sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read. So I'd definitely rec it(and him) to any fans of fantasy books!

message 6: by Allie (new)

Allie (literarilythrilling) Stéphanie wrote: "I just finished City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare. It's a YA book but I liked it anyways. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys YA books and supernatural/fantasy b..."

I've been wanting to read this series. I have a tendency to really enjoy YA books, at least when they're interesting/written well.

Christa wrote: "I just finished Jaws. It was pretty good, but I'm not sure that I'd recommend it to anyone else for any reason other than "they made a movie about it.""

There's a book? I feel lame for not knowing that.

Kristin wrote: "I finished Elantris by Brandon Sanderson a bit ago, it was pretty excellent. I'd been hearing good things about him so since Elantris was a standalone I figured it'd be a good way to get a feel for..."

I think I might look into these =]

message 7: by Stéphanie (last edited Feb 18, 2010 08:00PM) (new)

Stéphanie (stephlrx) I just finished Graceling by Kristin Cashore. It's another YA book, which I didn't know at first because I didn't find it in the YA section. I really liked it none the less. It's a great debut for a promising author. She created a wonderful new world and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidithebee) I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer. I have to admit that the reason I noticed the book was the title. I'm glad I picked it up. The book takes place post WWII and and the story is told through a series of letters between our protagonist, Juliet (an author), and her friends (and publishers) and the strangers of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel PIe Society. I highly suggest it. Even if you don't fall madly in love with the book, it is some excellent and enjoyable light reading.

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidithebee) Just finished The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine. It was cute story about the love for a sibling and how that can inspire you to do things you wouldn't otherwise do. Very sweet and a nice short read, but I don't think it will stick with me forever. If you like YA/Children fantasy and have enjoyed other books by the author give it a try.

message 10: by Christa (new)

Christa (c_hrista) Heidi wrote: "Just finished The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine. It was cute story about the love for a sibling and how that can inspire you to do things you wouldn't..."

Levine's Ella Enchanted was my favorite book when I was in middle school. It was also the first book to make me feel things intensely -- I hated everyone in the book for making Ella miserable, haha. So good. Maybe I'll re-read that soon and see how I feel at 23.

message 11: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidithebee) Christa... reread it. It's fun to get that older perspective on books.

As for just finished...

Princess Ben: Being a Wholly Truthful Account of Her Various Discoveries and Misadventures, Recounted to the Best of Her Recollection, in Four Parts by Catherine Gilbert Murdock is my latest read. I really enjoyed this book. It's a cute fairy tale story, borrowing themes from other fairy tales. Some more obvious, others just in quick passing. Princess Ben is familiar in that she embodies most young teens. We see the "know it all" period of her life and then watch as she grows emotionally. It is all much faster than real life, but it's still a good journey to see.

If you like good, fun YA lit you will enjoy this book. It's a fun romp with a good message, a handsome prince, and a curvy princess (yay for no stick thin protagonist)

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidithebee) Just finished PERSUASION by Jane Austen. I haven't finished a classic novel in some time and really enjoyed the experience. This is probably my favorite Jane Austen so far.

message 13: by Allie (last edited Mar 16, 2010 08:40PM) (new)

Allie (literarilythrilling) Heidi, you make me feel like a slacker :/

(Just joking =])

message 14: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidithebee) Allie, I'm just a lameo with no life ^_^. Or maybe a great life... guess it depends on our point of view.

I was lucky enough to work as a sub in a middle school library the other day and was full encouraged to read once all my duties were finished. So I got to read a bunch. I finished Sabriel by Garth Nix as a result and then moved on to A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce. Both were awesome works of fantasy. Sabriel taking place in it's very own special universe and the latter being set in England during the 1800s with a bit of the fantastic thrown in.

A Curse Dark as Gold is a retelling of the Rumpelstilskin tale which seeks to fill in the holes. I love the amount of depth and life Bunce gave to the story.

And somewhere in there I also finished Hot Mama by Jennifer Estep. It was my trashy, chick lit, romance read for the week and I was sadly disappointed. I don't expect much out of these reads, but even this one failed to live up to expectations. Hot, awesome super heroine trying to snag a man. I love the premise, but the story just felt flat.

message 15: by Allie (new)

Allie (literarilythrilling) Awe, you're not a lameo! I think it's awesome. I tend to just crash lately instead of spending my time reading. I'm working on changing that though!!! =]

I really want to read A Curse Dark as Gold now. Adding it to my TBR list!

message 16: by Allie (new)

Allie (literarilythrilling) I just completed Water for Elephants for my in-person book club and OHMYGOSH it was so good. Seriously, I'm so tempted to make it the next month's read just to sort of/kind of force you guys to read it if you haven't.

My only warning is the first 7 or 8 chapters are kinda slow. But after that, you won't want to put it down. This statement comes from 3 different people, not just me haha.

Add it to your TBR list, move it to the top, go out and buy it right now. If any of you do not like it (not saying you will love it like I do, but I'm certain you will all like it)...I will be surprised, honestly.