Books on the Nightstand discussion

Publishing question

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Ann, Michael and any other publishing industry insiders out there --
Are there changes made to a book between an Advanced Reader's Copy and it's published copy? I was lucky enough to participate in a discussion of THE POSTMISTRESS by Sarah Blake in the fall and was so disappointed in the book; now I see all the buzz about it since it has been released and am wondering if I should re-read it in its final form to see if anything has changed.(I really wanted to like it)

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Suzanne, there are often changes between the ARC and the finished book -- that's why you will notice there is usually something saying "please check with final copy before quoting any part of this book."

Usually it's small stuff -- typos, consistency issues (love when a character's name suddenly changes midway through the book!). But sometimes it can be significant.

Personally, I've often wondered the same thing as you, but I've never had the energy to go back and compare.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Ann.
Speaking of consistency issues, I was in a library book group some years ago and in the book we were reading the gender of a key character was different between the hardcover and paperback version! It caused a huge difference in perspective on the story, let me tell you.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ouch! I imagine that would certainly make for an interesting discussion!

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2701 comments Mod
Suzanne wrote: "Thanks Ann.
Speaking of consistency issues, I was in a library book group some years ago and in the book we were reading the gender of a key character was different between the hardcover and pap..."

Do you recall the name of the book, Suzanne?

Linda

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 13, 2010 11:36AM) (new)

Lmj wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Thanks Ann.
Speaking of consistency issues, I was in a library book group some years ago and in the book we were reading the gender of a key character was different between the ha..."

Endangered Species by Nevada Barr.

message 7: by Dottie (new)

Dottie (dottiem) | 71 comments Question for Ann or Michael - one of my reading groups is considering The Missing by Tim Gautreaux but we require that the book be available in paperback. Do you have a paperback publication date on that one yet?
thanks

message 8: by Ann (new)

Hi Dottie - you're in luck -- March 9th was the pub date for the trade paperback of THE MISSING! 9780307454683 is the ISBN, in case you need help finding it.

Great choice!

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2701 comments Mod
Dottie,

My reading group takes place AT the library. A few years ago, the librarian stopped getting the books for purchase (I think there was a grant or something.) For at least two years now, the librarian requests enough copies for the group through inter-library loan. For us, those books are loaned to us for an exteneded length of time (a month vs. the normal 2-week period).

You might be able to work something like that out with your library.

Also, our local - independent book seller gives a discount for any book that any book club is reading.

It never hurts to ask. The worst that can happen is someone will say, "No!"

Ann and Michael, I know that doesn't put money in your pockets, but many of us don't have much anyway.
Linda

message 10: by Dottie (new)

Dottie (dottiem) | 71 comments LMJ = the particular group I was concerned with in that question meets at a book store and many of the group like to purchase the book but the requirements for selection are not only that it is available in paperback but that several copies are available through the local library network.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Linda, we are big supporters of the library as well as bookstores. This space isn't about the selling of books. One of the benefits to working for the largest trade publisher (and one of the most respected) is that as more people read, our company benefits -- that's just how the math works. It's in our vested interest to get people reading and talking about books, no matter who the publisher or where those books are borrowed or purchased. The more readers we can create and sustain, the better for the publishing industry as a whole.

That being said, many independent bookstores will indeed offer book clubs a discount, and people should definitely ask. Many book clubs do require paperbacks, which makes complete sense.