Horror Aficionados discussion

Authors > Joe Lansdale

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by William (new)

William (acknud) I just read a Lansdale short in the Anthology "The Living Dead". It was a piece entitled "Deadman's Road". Very well written take on zombies from the western literature perspective. Has anyone read much more of his works?

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Yes, I don't like them at all.

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments I really like him William. His Hap & Leonard series is a rip roaring, action filled, riot. Other than ebay or Amazon, his novels are very hard to find in your used book stores. I met him at a book signing here last summer, very nice guy & funny. His "Freezer Burn" is a thriller/fantasy about a freak show. His "The Bottoms" is a wonderful coming of age tale. He has written sci-fi, mystery, horror & I think he does them all well.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sheffield | 46 comments i really like Lansdale for his fast paced easy read approach. has anyone seen the movie they adapted from his short ' Incicent On and Off A Mountain Road'? i hesitate to watch it, because i really like the short story.

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Like most of the "Masters of Horror" series, it was terrible.

message 6: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 244 comments Now, that I don't necessarily agree with. There were a good number of great episodes in the "Masters of Horror" series and "Incident On and Off A Mountain Road" was one of the best ones in the first season, as a matter of fact. Also among the great ones were "Dreams In The Witch House," "Haeckel's Tale," "Cigarette Burns," "Imprint" and "Dance of the Dead."

message 7: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 83 comments I read his first horror novel, 'The Razor God.' It was scary and even have black and white comic pictures of some of the scenes. Very dark and well written. His most loathesome short story was 'By Bizarre Hands.' a story that I can not read without wanting to cry and throw up at the same time.

message 8: by Tressa (last edited Feb 15, 2010 11:20AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm going to look for that short story, Patrick. I'm in the mood to cry and throw up simultaneously. Thank you!

ETA: You can hear the author reading "By Bizarre Hands" at this link: http://www.goatley.com/hunter/lansdal...

message 9: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 134 comments I really liked The Bottoms and I'm about 1/3 through Leather Maiden, which is also very good. That's all I've read, but I have a difficult time putting them down. Neither is horror, but they both involve very good storytelling and interesting characters.

message 10: by Bookcrazywoman (new)

Bookcrazywoman | 35 comments Don't forget the Drive In books A "B" movie with
blood and popcorn. Bubba-Ho-Tep the book and the
movie are both awesome. One of my favorite short
stories On The Far Side of the Cadillac Desert
with Dead Folks.

message 11: by Derek (last edited Feb 17, 2010 09:23PM) (new)

Derek (splatterpunk17) | 9 comments Has anyone ever read The Nightrunners? I just ordered it on Amazon for a pretty ridiculous price because I've heard a ton of hype about it. Is it true?

message 12: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Dang! I haven't read "Bizarre Hands" yet. Will get to it soon. I'm intrigued by all this Lansdale love.

He wrote a book called Bad Chili with a character named Jim Bob? That's my cup of tea right there. Got consistently high ratings, too.

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 1461 comments He is an acquired taste. His writing is very un-PC, he seems to relish in poking fun at rednecks, gays, blacks, handicapped, mexicans, dumb women, you name it he pokes fun at it. One of his books scared me so much I feared being home alone for a few days but damn if I can remember the title. It started out with a family asleep and a home invasion that ends horribly. Anyone recall the title? It was a frightening book.

The Hap & Leonard books are funny in their twisted way and By Bizarre Hands is just horrifying.

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I just reserved The Nightrunners, but it's included in a book called The God of Razors. It contains The Nightrunners and stories inspired by the story.

I'm having to get By Bizarre Hands through ILL.

message 15: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 134 comments Tressa, I never ceased to be impressed with your library system. I’m involved with two different library systems, and I still can’t find most of the rare stuff you do.

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Rusty, not only am I very lucky to have been working in my library system since 1989, I'm also lucky to have access to the materials in the city's 20 branches and the county's 19 municipal libraries.

It's very rare that I can't reserve an item and have it routed directly to me in two days. Back in the early '80s we started a One County, One Card cooperative, and most library systems in the country don't have that.

I am VERY thankful we have ILL, which borrows books from all over the world. I rarely have to buy a book that I just want to read but not add to my collection.

message 17: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 134 comments Tressa wrote: "Rusty, not only am I very lucky to have been working in my library system since 1989, I'm also lucky to have access to the materials in the city's 20 branches and the county's 19 municipal librarie..."

I knew I should have been a librarian.

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Rusty, you wouldn't even have to work at a library to get access to any of the things I use. It's for all our patrons. We even allow DVD reserves and route them.

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 1461 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "BarkLess, that book is "Cold In July", which I keep mixing up with "Savage Season", a Hap and Leonard book. When I listed "Savage Season" earlier, I meant "Cold In July". "

That's it, thank you!

message 20: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 608 comments William wrote: "I just read a Lansdale short in the Anthology "The Living Dead". It was a piece entitled "Deadman's Road". Very well written take on zombies from the western literature perspective. Has anyone re..."

Joe is far and away my favorite author. He is the only author who I will buy, no questions asked. If I walk into a store with $25 in my hand, with all intent on buying something else, if I see a new Lansdale, that is what will be bought.

message 21: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Gifford (paulsgifford) | 58 comments Bubba Ho-tep!

Need i say more?

message 22: by Lorenzo (last edited Jun 23, 2010 11:50AM) (new)

Lorenzo Escobar Somebody probably already posted it, but Lansdale released a "Best of" story collection in February. I just bought it and have yet to read it.

I read parts of a short story collection of his in high school after I asked the librarian if they had anything with zombies.

I really liked "On the Far Side of Cadillac Desert with Dead Folks."

has anyone checked out this collection yet?

message 23: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 608 comments I haven't checked it out, yet, but I have read everything by Lansdale (or a majority), and I can't see how it could be less than amazing. I picked up the DRIVE-IN collection that was just released.

message 24: by Will (new)

Will Errickson (wille) I haven't read a new Lansdale novel in years but I love this early stuff (fortunately now back in print from Vintage Crime):

Cold in July by Joe R. Lansdale Savage Season by Joe R. Lansdale The Nightrunners by Joe R. Lansdale By Bizarre Hands by Joe R. Lansdale The Magic Wagon by Joe R. Lansdale

message 25: by Bob (new)

Bob (ilovepie) | 137 comments I love Joe. Mind you I have only read to of his novels. The Bottoms (one of my favorite books), and Leather Maiden, which was good. But from these two readings I have the desire to read the following.

Savage Season, Mucho Mojo, Two Bear Mambo, Bad Chilli, The Nightrunners, Cold In July, Lost Echoes, and A Fine Dark Line.

message 26: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments The Nightrunners is excellent.

message 27: by Joel (new)

Joel (joelarnold) | 23 comments I love the whole Hap & Leonard series. The Bottoms is also a favorite - reminded me a little of McCammon's A Boy's Life.

Joel Arnold

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 1461 comments Bob wrote: "Savage Season, Mucho Mojo, Two Bear Mambo, Bad Chilli, The Nightrunners, Cold In July, Lost Echoes, and A Fine Dark Line. ."

You should read 'em. I haven't stumbled across a Lansdale book I haven't enjoyed.

message 29: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmckeejr) | 133 comments I couldn't get into the Nightrunners. I heard lots of good things about it, but most of the characters struck me as unsympathetic. The situations the protagonists were in were horrific, but something felt like it was missing....which is odd, because I think Lansdale is one of the best short story writers EVER. I didn't feel his underlying personality as a writer in Nightrunners like I do in most of his other work.

message 30: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh (kurtreichenbaugh) | 122 comments Freezer Burn is a lot of fun. Much in the style of those old Gold Medal paperbacks - it takes place in a traveling side show. Cold in July is good that's been mentioned above. One of my favorite short stories is "Steppin' Out, Summer '68" about the dumb things guys do to impress each other. His collection High Cotton might be easiest to find and very much worth it. And by all means, read The Drive-In if you get a chance. He's revisited it in two sequels.

message 31: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments i bought the drive-in trilogy collection at b and n a month ago, wow deja-vu, i swear i've discussed this before.

message 32: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmckeejr) | 133 comments I have those first 2 Drive-ins in the little Spectrum paperbacks, but I've been thinking about picking up the new trilogy. When was the third volume originally released?

message 33: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Just arrived from Amazon, "The Complete Drive-In", all three novels. By Underland Press. Should be fun reading!

Mark, I was just looking on fantastic fiction, & it doesn't mention the third one, ( The Bus Tour ).

But.....it does show two new Hap & Leonard novels coming out next year!!! Whoo-Hoo.....

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

The Bus Tour was a limited edition, I think. Very few copies around.

message 35: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 608 comments Anybody read FLAMING LONDON??? I had no idea this was out there! It's Joe's take on WAR OF THE WORLDS! It looks like a riot! Plus, he has the new one, FLAMING ZEPPELINS! I hate how his stuff sneaks into the small press, and much of it never sees the mainstream. It makes collecting his stuff rather difficult.

Also, for those fans of his, Hisownself is actually Tweeting now:
http://twitter.com/joelansdale

message 36: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 608 comments Huh...according to his Tweets...FLAMING LONDON and FLAMING ZEPPELINS are one in the same. Then there is ZEPPELINS WEST. Oh man...it is all so confusing.

message 37: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 608 comments Crap. Oh well, I will still eventually get it, due to it being Joe.

message 38: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 608 comments I believe he is crossing it with THE MAGIC WAGON, which is an outstanding book.

message 39: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (trishwilsonelizabethblack) | 38 comments Hap and Leonard are American classics! Love those two. ;)

My favorite of his is "My Dead Dog Bobby". I'm also happy his book "Savage Season" is being made into a movie. Gotta reread that one before the movie comes out.

message 40: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Kewl.....hadn't heard the first Hap & Leonard was going to be a movie. Great series!

message 41: by Bob (new)

Bob (ilovepie) | 137 comments I am still waiting for the Bottoms to be made into a film. In the right hands it could be really good.

message 42: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (trishwilsonelizabethblack) | 38 comments Lee I heard about it recently. Don't know how close it is to being finished or even if it's filming yet. I know I'll go to the movies to see that one. :)

message 43: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Me too....I looked on IMDB....says next year.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

King Dinösaur wrote: "Joe R. Lansdale is a national treasure. Highly recommended: "The Nightrunners", "Savage Season", "Zeppelin's West", "By Bizarre Hands", "Dead in the West", "The Bottoms", "The Boar" and, as edito..."

Yep. The term "national treasure" is exactly how I often describe Lansdale to people. He's a born storyteller.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Just got the Cowpunk anthology Lansdale edited - Razzored Saddles.

message 46: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments And I met him at a book signing, D....a very good guy also!

message 47: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments I've read The Bottoms and Lost Echoes. Both books were excellent.

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 1461 comments I just finished Captains Outrageous and Rumble Tumble on audio and if you haven't listened to them this way I highly recommend you do. The narrator does an amazing job with the characters and the humor.

message 49: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Asbury | 960 comments I finally read my first Joe R. Lansdale book(The Bottoms)and I was really impressed. Just recieved 4 more books of his in the mail today. Whoo Hoo!

message 50: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments What other ones did you get, Tim?

« previous 1 3