Horror Aficionados discussion

Authors > Joe Hill

Comments Showing 1-50 of 317 (317 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 62 comments Joe Hill just released a new book, Horns: A Novel. Has anyone here read it?

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments No, but we're dying to! I'm #1 on my library's waiting list. I've enjoyed all of his books so far.

message 3: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 133 comments And I'm #7 on my library's waiting list. I'm looking forward to it, and hoping those other six are fast readers.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1427 comments It comes out Tuesday, I ordered my copy at Borders! Oh by the way, GR is doing a giveaway for Horns :)

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments Thanks for the heads up, Rachel! I just entered. I'm sure me and 10,000 other people.

message 6: by Bark (new)

Bark  (barklesswagmore) | 1351 comments Mod
Waiting, waiting, waiting. It's still "on order" at my library.

message 7: by Tressa (last edited Feb 11, 2010 08:28AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments I will be dropping any book I'm reading at the time to start Horns.

Looks like the street date is February 16. Library books are given top processing priority if there's a list of reserves on it.

Is there a place on GR to go to find out about other book giveaways or is it just a random thing?

message 8: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (ShaunJeffrey) | 245 comments Tressa wrote: "Is there a place on GR to go to find out about other book giveaways or is it just a random thing? "

http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway

message 9: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments Thanks, Shaun.

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3231 comments I can't wait to read Horns! I believe its released here in Canada sometime next week. I will have to double check that.

message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments I read Locke & Key 1-2 and they're both excellent. The third one comes out in July.

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3231 comments I got Locke & Key for Christmas. Still haven't got to it yet...

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy (Bibliocrates) | 426 comments I ignored my resolution to stop buying new books and got it yesterday, a belated pressie for myself for my birthday, which was Saturday, and for finally getting a job (patting self on back), which I started yesterday... I can't tell you all how relieved I am after such a long search!

Anyway, I'm dropping everything and starting it now!

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments Well, it is Joe Hill and it is a birthday present. I'm waiting for my copy to be processed at the library.

Congratulations on your new job!

message 15: by Tom (last edited Feb 17, 2010 06:13AM) (new)

Tom Mueller | 69 comments I don't want to miss ANY of Joe Hill's work; I have 'Horns' on order from my library.

Following is about his limited edition, Gunpowder. Highly recommended if you can find it!

******SPOILERS FOLLOW*******
It is very apparent in Gunpowder that Hill learned the lesson well from his father, that lesson being to READ.
In this short novella, Hill conjures Shakespeare, naming a distant and future world's moons after characters in The Tempest. That naming also forewarns the reader of the coming storm.
He quotes Arthur Clarke's 'Third Law'; "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.", in describing "The LeGuin Project", thereby bringing A Wizard of Earthsea to mind. Implicit of course, is that the use of magic always has consequences that are very often extremely undesirable.
Highly recommended, if you're lucky enough to find a copy.
******SPOILER ABOVE*******

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy (Bibliocrates) | 426 comments Thanks T!

message 17: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 69 comments Just got it! I know I'll be up late tonight reading.

message 18: by Derek (new)

Derek (splatterpunk17) | 9 comments Everyone should try reading Heart-Shaped Box. It scared me so bad I had to put it down at some points. I heard they're making a movie adaption of it, but I don't think they've even started, unless I'm wrong.

message 19: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3231 comments Heart-Shaped Box is scary. I remember that it also had an awesome sense of dread!

message 20: by Marvin (new)

Marvin (mpvernon) I'm halfway through Horns and am enjoying it. It starts out strange. Almost Bizarro. But then it drifts into a odd coming-of-age-novel. To say anything else would give too much away.

message 21: by Tressa (last edited Feb 21, 2010 08:57AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments Marvin, we're about at the same part in Horns. I can't put it down. Very well written and all his characters are interesting. I was surprised at the coming-of-age detour in the story. Thought it would annoy me but it's interesting. His girlfriend has become more than just a name at this point in the story. I like that.

ETA: Changed wife to girlfriend. I thought I read on the flap she was his wife. Sorry. No, you're not missing anything, Tom.

message 22: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 69 comments Tressa wrote: "His wife has become more than just a name at this point in the story...."

What did I miss, or maybe I'm not to that point yet? I recall the protagonist's mother, grandmother, 'her' and one live-in. Wife?

message 23: by Bark (new)

Bark  (barklesswagmore) | 1351 comments Mod
I got my copy from the library and have dropped everything to read it. So far it's very strange, can't wait to see what happens next.

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1427 comments Tressa wrote: "Marvin, we're about at the same part in Horns. I can't put it down. Very well written and all his characters are interesting. I was surprised at the coming-of-age detour in the story. Thought it wo..."

Tressa I think we're at the same point. I think this is gonna be one of those books where my only complaint is it's over.

message 25: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments True, Rachel. I'm at work right now and had to leave it at home. It's taking all kinds of detours that I'm enjoying. I kept assuming things were going in a certain direction and got fooled, in a good way.

message 26: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3231 comments I have to wait until next Friday to pick it up. :(

message 27: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments I'm sorry, Jason. Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

message 28: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 62 comments Horns in on the stand when you first walk into Barnes & Noble. I saw it yesterday. I was going to wait until it came out in paperback but I think I need to get it now. Off to Amazon...

message 29: by Marvin (new)

Marvin (mpvernon) I just finished it. Over-all it was a thoroughly entertaining and often intense read.

message 30: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 69 comments I was expecting sort of a horror tale, bu was surprised by Hill's modern Love Story with a supernatural twist. As in Segal's work, passages had me in tears.
More after more folks have finished; don't want to spoil it.

message 31: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments I'll start a thread in the Novel folder with a spoiler alert for people who want to go ahead and discuss it.

I've got one or two chapters left to read. I am blown away by Hill's expert turn of phrasing and his humor. Many times I've laughed out loud at Ig's observations.

Hill's intelligence and sense of humor shine through in all his books. Maybe I should rethink how soon I'll expose my son to the horror genre. Joe doesn't seem to be warped from having Stephen and Tabitha King for parents. I bet they had some interesting dinner table conversations in that house.

message 32: by Tressa (last edited Feb 22, 2010 06:13AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments Those who have finished Horns and would like to discuss it can visit this thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

message 33: by Scott (new)

Scott I bought a signed/inscribed copy of Horns yesterday at my local indie bookshop. He drew a little devil face with horns and a tail in the O of the title on the title page. Cute.

I'll try to get to it soon.

message 34: by LinBee (new)

LinBee I'm next in line to get it from the libary. I can't wait! I so thoroughly enjoyed HSB! And Locke & Key (I could only get the 1st volume though). I have 20th Century ghosts on cd to read, but I'm currently reading something else, so that'll wait for now.

message 35: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments Oh, I hope you'll like listening to 20thCG more than I did. I couldn't stand the reader's whiny voice.

message 36: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 2731 comments To fix a glitch in getting individual posts

message 37: by Branden (new)

Branden (psymin1) | 235 comments I'm going to take a couple seconds to brag about my insanely good find today: 20th Century Ghosts for $1 at the dollar store! I'm very excited to get reading it.

message 38: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments Dollar store?! Which one? I want to get a copy.

message 39: by Branden (new)

Branden (psymin1) | 235 comments I got mine from the Dollar Tree. We have two in our city, and ended up at both this evening. I found it at the very back of the lowest shelf. It was the only one there, and wasn't at the other store. Those dollar stores are excellent for finding some gems (even if the majority is mediocre reading, it's only a dollar!). Good luck!

message 40: by Tressa (last edited Aug 10, 2010 03:33AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments Dang. I have to work late tomorrow. Maybe I can go Wednesday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that most DT shoppers don't know who the f*ck Joe Hill is.

message 41: by Scott (new)

Scott I didn't know they had books.

message 42: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1475 comments Tressa wrote: "Dang. I have to work late tomorrow. Maybe I can go Wednesday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that most DS shoppers don't know who the f*ck Joe Hill is."

Tressa Joe hill is King's son. Heart Shaped Box and Horns.

message 43: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1475 comments Damn you knew that. Didn't read your post correctly

message 44: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3231 comments I wish we had a dollar store like that around here! LOL

message 45: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments Scott, Dollar Tree has a small section of books, but I've never seen anything there I'd want to buy.

message 46: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot | 0 comments I thought Horns was total crap and I wish I hadn't wasted my money on it. I'd been so looking forward to it after reading the brilliant Heart Shaped Box.

message 47: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Chuckles, I'm almost finished reading Horns, what didn't you like about it? So far parts of the book I've enjoyed, other parts have bored me.

message 48: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments I loved all of Horns and think it's superior to HSB.

message 49: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I haven't read anything by Hill before. Don't get me wrong, Horns has been great and I will definitely read other books by Hill.

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) | 1014 comments Tressa wrote: "I loved all of Horns and think it's superior to HSB."

I agree he really seemed to hit his stride with Horns. In a way it reminded me of Neil Gaiman and Clive Barker in places.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7