Quotable Quotes discussion

Quotes that make you swoon.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marion (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Marion | 8 comments While I'm not that attached to George Osborne in Vanity Fair I do love this quote that I just read, I confess it made my heart flutter a bit! What quotes have made you swoon?

"George had an air at once swaggering and melancholy, languid and fierce. He looked like a man who had passions, secrets and private harrowing griefs and adventures. His voice was rich and deep. He would say it was a warm evening, or ask his partner to take and ice, with a tone as sad and confidential as if he were breaking her mother's death to her, or preluding a declaration of love."
-W.M. Thackeray in Vanity Fair

message 2: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Kate (kate-schmate) I see you omitted the mentions of his glorious moustaches. :)

message 3: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Heather (adorabubbles) | 3 comments wow that's some good stuff. =)

message 4: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Elizabeth | 61 comments Mod
I'm a big fan of Thackeray...that's an awesome book.

message 5: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Heather (miss_lord) | 12 comments We want nights
Of vague adventure, lips lax wet and warm,
Bees in the stomach, sweat across the brow. Now.
- Gwendolyn Brooks (b. 1917), U.S. poet. “Appendix to the Anniad.”

message 6: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Heather (miss_lord) | 12 comments "Quiero hacer contigo lo que la primavera hace con los cerezos." - Pablo Neruda
("Juegas Todos las Días" de Viente Poemas de Amor y una Cancion Desperada)

Translation: I want to do with you what Spring does to the cherry trees. ("Every Day You Play" from Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair)

Neruda in general is one of the all time masters of sexy, passionate, scrumptious writing... anyone in lust or in love should read him.

message 7: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Heather (miss_lord) | 12 comments One more Neruda (spanish at the bottom)

"Oh the bitten mouth, oh the kissed limbs,
oh the hungering teeth, oh the entwined bodies.
Oh the mad coupling of hope and force
in which we merged and despaired.
And the tenderness, light as water and as flour.
And the word scarcely begun on the lips.
This was my destiny and in it was my voyage of my longing,
and in it my longing fell, in you everything sank!"
-Neruda (Excerpt “A Song if Despair”)

"Oh la boca mordida, oh los besados miembros,
oh los hambrientos dientes, oh los cuerpos trenzados.
Oh la cópula loca de esperanza y esfuerzo
en que nos anudamos y nos desesperamos.
Y la ternura, leve como el agua y la harina.
Y la palabra apenas comenzada en los labios.
Ese fue mi destino y en él viajó mi anhelo,
y en él cayó mi anhelo, todo en ti fue naufragio!"

message 8: by Jodie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Jodie (jodiemill) "Happiness is not something that we find in this world. Rather, it is something we bring to it." -- Dan Millman, The Peaceful Warrior

"At the end of the day, at the end of your life - the most important thing really is the relationships you have with the people in your life." ~Karyn Bosnak

"Be very careful if you make a woman cry, because God counts her tears. The woman came out of a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on. Not from his head to be superior, but from the side to be equal. Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved." ~Hebrew Talmud~

You were born God's original. Try not to become someone's copy. ~Marian Wright Edelman

"...then I did the simplest thing in the world. I leaned down....and kissed him. And the world cracked open." ~Agnes de Mille

To laugh often and much,
to win respect of intelligent people,
and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics,
and endure the betrayal of false friends,
to appreciate beauty;
to find the best in others;
to leave the world a bit better
whether by a healthy child,
a garden path, or a redeemed social condition,
to know even one life has breathed easier
because you have lived,
This is to have csucceeded

By Ralph Waldo Emerson.

message 9: by Marion (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Marion | 8 comments Kate - yeah... the glorious mustaches didn't really seem to translate to modern day as well as the rest. Although I have been known to swoon over a mustache or two!!

And I couldn't agree more about Neruda, even if I'm not in love he reminds me how great it can be.

Also, That Agnes de Mille quote is amazing! Wow, I'm in a sappy mood!

message 10: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Elizabeth | 1 comments James Joyce in Portrait of an Artist;
"His lips would not bend to kiss her. He wanted to be held firmly in her arms, to be caressed slowly, slowly, slowly. In her arms he felt that he had suddenly become strong and fearless and more sure of himself. But his lips would not bend to kiss her.
With a sudden movement she bowed his head and joined her lips to his and he read the meaning of her movements in her frank and uplifted eyes. It was too much for him. He closed his eyes, surrendering himself to her, body and mind, conscious of nothing in the world but the dark pressure of her softly parting lips. They pressed upon his brain as upon his lips as though they were the vehicle of a vague speech; and between them he felt an unknown and timid pressure, darker than the swoon of sin, softer than sound or odour."