The Love Cult discussion

Summer is here!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (author25) | 4 comments Summer is here!! What does everyone love to enjoy doing that is fun during the summer months? Also, what do you have planned to do this summer??

message 2: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 46 comments I plan to hibernate in my apartment and begin to glow a nice shade of translucent. Mmmm... desert-living at its finest!

message 3: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) I like to sit outside in the sunshine and drink good beer.

And I love the smell of a summer night.

message 4: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 46 comments Summer nights I can definitely get behind. Swimming at 2 A.M., the cool breeze that blows in off the hills, walking home from the bars as the cactus blooms open around us, being able to put on a t-shirt without fear of immediately sweating through it- Awesome. It's nights like those that I really appreciate being an insomniac.

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Logan, have you tried swimming yet?

We went to a pool party/BBQ last weekend and the water was a bit too cold. Didn't stop us from jumping off the diving board a couple of times, but it was too cold to stay in the water.

We're going to Rocky Point in a couple of weeks and I fully intend to spend many hours in the lazy pool being, well, lazy.

message 6: by Victoria (last edited May 09, 2008 08:47AM) (new)

Victoria (author25) | 4 comments I like to hear the crickets at night chirping, frogs croaking, and being able to walk out onto my porch on a warm night with a little breeze and look up at the black velvety sky and see all the twinkling stars staring down at me and look over and see the beautiful moon shining down on me like I'm in the spot light. I love the way the sun and everything around me looks when the sun is starting to peek her face up or going down around the mountains and the different colors that the sky gets, the blooming flowers and dog wood trees, going to a waterfall that's not too far away from where I live and see it flow freely,the way can see water trickeling down the rocks of the moutains instead of frozen in place. I love the way you can hear so many birds singing in the air and in the trees, how when you're outside a beautiful butterfly flutters past your face and goes and on a flower, the way the wind blows though tall grass and makes the grass blow over to one side making the grass look like green silk blowing in the wind and just the nature comes to life.

message 7: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 46 comments Theresa, we started hitting the pool once the weather started creeping into the mid-90s range. It's not warm enough yet to stay in for long, but it's great to jump in a couple times. I would die in the summer without a pool.

I'm jealous- I love Rocky Point. Cheap beer and a pool, what more do you need?

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 61 comments I'm jealous that it's summer somewhere. Apparently the Pacific Northwest forgot to pay the bill, so spring finally just arrived this week. Though now it's going to be in the 90s by the end of next week, so summer's coming with a vengeance, from what I can tell. In the course of a week, I'm going to wear both a wool turtleneck and a short-sleeved shirt with sandals.

But I'm going to love the heat, because I hate being cold.

I love hiking in the summer, and getting out to the ocean, and buying lovely ripe tomatoes at the farmer's market (I'm still not all that optimistic about the ones in my garden...I've got kind of a brown thumb). And not being cold.

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori Lisa, you're getting 90s by the end of the week? Holy crap, by this point I would love some 90s and I hate anything above 85! Seattle has had maybe 2 nice days, we all still have the heat on. And last summer, well, there was no last summer except for one week in the 90s.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 61 comments Oh, christ, last summer sucked ass eggs. I'm in Portland, but I bet you and I got the same icky, wet, chilly summer. But I imagine if we get holy-hell-how'd-it-get-so-hot you'll get at least ooooohhh...nice next week.

I wore a turtleneck to work today, still waiting for this magic heat wave.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

oh thank god for so cal today
the birds are chirping away out there
the door is open the light breeze is floating in
the sun is hitting full on the patio
making all my veggies and flowers happy
i'm sorry you guys are doing the grey weather
actually we had some gloomy days during the week
but now it's southern california again
(i spent many many years in maine so don't hate me)

message 12: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 120 comments Mod
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only Southerner on here...am I?

Anyway, it's been summer in Georgia for a while now. Well, I guess you'd consider it spring here, since it hasn't quite yet hit 90. It's been in the mid-80's for several weeks now, but thank goodness it's supposed to drop back into the 70's tomorrow.

For me, the idyllic summer is sitting on my patio at night, listening to all the bugs going wild, ambient light, a beer and a sweet tea, talking with my lover or reading a book.

message 13: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I will probably stay in my apartment with the air conditioning on me constantly, as usual.

message 14: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (author25) | 4 comments Hey Summer,

I'm a southerner to. I'm here in Tennessee. :) It's been pretty decent weather here. We've had rain and sun so my flowers and my grass are doing quit lovely. I love the 70 degree weather instead of the high 80's and 90's. I can tolerate the high 70's and low 80's but more than that I'm like Andy in my house with the air on. LOL! :) Thank God for air conditioners. :)

message 15: by Lori (new)

Lori Argh. It's 50 here.

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Oh, Donna, honey, it's perfect here today...83, breezy, almost windy, the pirate festival downtown...great day to live in Wisconsin. Yes, we need a steady stretch of warm weather for the tomatoes, the ground is still cool under the mulch, I bet. I drank iced tea on the bench in front of the coffee house and let the breeze wash over me. Last night, while drunk, I crashed in the backyard and looked at the stars.

I love winter. And I summer. And I love fall. Spring takes too long around here, so I'm not so hot on spring. But on days like this Wisconsin, like NY, Donna, is a lovely place. And we've probably for four months or so until we have to think about "real" cold on the horizon:)

message 17: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell They have a pirate festival in Wisconsin? That seems out of place. As far as the weather goes, we in San Diego are very smug about the fact that it's always 83 and breezy here.

message 18: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) Oh, it is just beautiful here. Not hot, cool air but warm sun. Summer has begun to release beautiful aromas from flowers and trees, and even the smell of sun-warmed dirt wafts through my open windows at night. Now that spring is finally past, I can breathe and love again.

Hoooray for summer in Colorado!

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I live right near Lake Michigan, in a harbor town, Dave...the Pirate Fest is a huge tourist deal here:)

http://portpiratefestival.com/

I love walking near the water in San Diego.

Oh, that reminds me, Dave, time for more music book questions on the quiz....(evil laugh).

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori *very grumpy* It's been pouring, windy and in the low 50s all week.

message 21: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 120 comments Mod
I'm grumpy too. We had two weeks of lovely weather (fortunately, we scheduled the wedding during those weeks), and now it's hot as hell and even more humid.

message 22: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Mayhem and Merriment. Yep that's a pirate festival all right.

BTW, RA any particular spot along the water you like walk? My favorite view of the harbor is from Harbor Island.

message 23: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 07, 2008 12:42PM) (new)

RandomAnthony Dave, I visit San Diego for conventions at least once every couple of years. For some reason conventions land in your fair city a lot. Maybe it's the perfect weather.:) But, unfortunately, while I've been to San Diego a few times, I don't think I've ever left the convention center/gaslight area except to visit the zoo. So, uh, that walk behind all the hotels near the convention center down towards the whale watching boats...I've walked/run that stretch a few times.

Summer, we were married on June 18th, in western NY, and the weather hit close to ninety...good call on planning your wedding earlier.

Five pirate festival pics from this morning:

http://randomanthonyreturns.blogspot....

message 24: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) It is hot here and extremely windy. I had a hard time keeping my walker on track. It took a lot of arm and leg muscles to do it. Oh well, I guess I got some exercise.

Jackie "the Librarian" Another "glorious" June day in the Pacific Northwest, meaning that it's overcast, 55 degrees, and kinda rainy. Humph. It better be nicer tomorrow, or I'll...

... um, I'll probably just whine some and grump about moving to California.

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 61 comments Here in PDX it's supposed to be a comparatively balmy 67 degrees tomorrow, with some sun. How pathetic is it that I'm looking forward to that?

It's 57 and overcast right now. Harrumph.

message 27: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) Lisa when I was in Portland about three weeks ago it was 97 one day! hot hot hot!

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 61 comments And 57 on the day before and the day after. That was a weird-ass week.

message 29: by Lori (new)

Lori Same here.

This is the first time Seattle weather is making mew somewhat depressed. I can't remember a spring like this. Even tho I've lived here 18 years, somewhere deep inside I still have the mindset of a New Yorker. It's June! It's supposed to finally be nice, at least somewhat, instead of one week of perfect weather and then back to the cold miserable rain. Bleh