Good Readers of Scotland discussion

Books by Scottish Authors > scottish novels

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlie (new)

Charlie | 7 comments hello. Does anyone has recommendation for good books by Scottish Authors? I'm living in NY and it's hard to find new and exciting Scottish books here....

message 2: by Charlie (new)

Charlie | 7 comments thank you! I'll definitely check it out.

message 3: by Allan (new)

Allan (macindog) | 15 comments I'm currently reading Scar Night by Alan Campbell.
Thoroughly well recommended for sci-fi/fantasy fans.

message 4: by Duntay (last edited May 11, 2008 12:55PM) (new)

Duntay | 13 comments I've just started 'Morvern Callar' and not entirely sure what to make of it just yet - it is all told in the present tense, which takes some getting used to. However it is not in 'Gaelic' as some of the reviews here on Goodreads say - there are some Scots words like 'greet' for crying, but nothing you can't pick up from the context. And it is nothing like, say, the Doric that you would come across in Grassic Gibbons' 'Sunset Song'.

Anyhow, you could also try 'The Testament of Gideon Mack' by James Robertson. I believe it is his first book available in the US.

I was wondering why we don't have more books on our bookshelf for this group?

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan (alanclark) | 8 comments Thumbs up for 'The Testiment of Gideon Mack' from me, too.

Recently I read Iain Bank's Compicity, which was also pretty decent. I'm not sure I fully got the use of the second person in part of the narrative, however. I must have missed something, but don't want to give any of the plot away.

message 6: by Charlie (new)

Charlie | 7 comments I loved "Morvern Caller" - it was very strange, but was "fresh" in some bizarre way. I just oredered "The Man Who Walks" and hope it'll be good as Morvern Caller...."Sunset song" is on my to-read list!

I recently finished "The testament of Gidion Mack" and I like it a lot.

message 7: by Adam (new)

Adam G (adam_g) | 2 comments Got to get into some Irvine Welsh. If you want some grit and sand in your teeth!

message 8: by Charlie (new)

Charlie | 7 comments Halleluwah:
Oh, thank you. 'Trainspotting' and 'Marabou stork hightmares' are still one of my favorite books though i haven't read his last couple books. Have you read "If You Liked School, You'll Love Work"?

message 9: by Adam (new)

Adam G (adam_g) | 2 comments I have not, but is on my to do list- Bedroom secrets of the master chefs is great, ye shall like that immensely!

message 10: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (nevermindthehunt) | 1 comments I agree! Bedroom Secrets is a must read.

message 11: by Charlie (new)

Charlie | 7 comments thank you! I'll order bedroom secrets tonight!
Does anyone read 'be near me' by Andrew O'hagan? I want to know what other people think.....

message 12: by Stuart (last edited Dec 02, 2009 12:19PM) (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 15 comments The Cone-gatherers by Robin Jenkins, a minor classic set during World War Two on a remote Scottish island. Is definitely worth adding.

message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 23 comments Some of my favorite books about Scotland were, not to my knowledge at least, not written by Scots. I love Michael Phillip's Stonewycke books, six in all, all about scotland and also his two books of the Caledonia series. Wonderful writing and it os obvious of his love for Scotland.
I also have read one of George Mac Donald's books, and hope to read more. Michael Phillips has edited many of them.
Stephen Lawhead has also written several novels that take place in Scotland.

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 23 comments I just read an absolutely beautiful novel set in modern day Scotland. "AngelHarp" by Michael Phillips. Michael loves Scotland, and it is apparent in his many novels about the country. he is now living there part time each year. this book is a must read . If i could give more than 5***** I would have done so. My review is on the book page.

Heather (DeathByBook) (deathbybook) | 1 comments I'm a big fan of both Ian Rankin and Stuart MacBride.

Rankin writes the Rebus series about a detective in Edinburgh. More than just a detective series the books capture the spirit of Edinburgh in a way that city almost becomes another character in stories.

Stuart MacBride writes a detective series set in Aberdeen that is full of memorable characters and locations.

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura Vosika (laura924) | 6 comments Mod
Look up Willie Meikle. I haven't read his novels yet, but I hope to start. I've heard good things about them, and he is from Scotland.

message 17: by Marie (new)

Marie Montondo | 1 comments Right now, I'm in the middle of White Rose Rebel by Janet Paisley. It's a historical novel about a real female Colonel of the Jacobite army, and contains a lot of interesting information about women's rights in 18th century Scotland. However, it's also a romance (and, in my opinion a weak one), and uses a bit of frivolous and overdone language, that I just find unnecessary, and frankly frustrating... I'm powering through it anyway, because the author's a native Scot and I want to learn more about the Jacobite revolution.