Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

narrator = co-author?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

John | 73 comments I've been adding the narrator as a second author for ISBN's specifically linked to audiobooks. Any thoughts?

message 2: by Lisa (not getting friends updates) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments I don't have any audiobooks, but I'd think about putting the reader's name in the book description box for that edition. Not a pro here though, just a thought.

message 3: by John (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

John | 73 comments Good idea - thanks!

message 4: by Grumpus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

Grumpus | 18 comments I think it's a great idea...it will enable us to search by narrator as well as author.

One standardization I recommend is instead of simply putting the narrator's name in the author2 field, use the following:

"Narrated by: [Narrator's name:]

I suggest this because without it, it puts the narrator and author at the same level of importance.

The book Alexander Hamilton for example would look like this:

by Ron Chernow, Scott Brick

it looks like they both wrote the book which is incorrect. This format is much more accurate:

by Ron Chernow, Narrated by: Scott Brick

Otis, maybe we could get a narrator field on the to do list?

message 5: by John (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

John | 73 comments The system doesn't recognize punctuation set-offs (colons, parentheses, etc.), so that the narrator comes through as a full-fledged co-author. I've re-entered my audios (most anyway, an ongoing project) with "narrator: so-and-so" in the description field for the excact audio ISBN. A narrator field would be great! Wouldn't be that much of a pain to copy the name from the descripton box later.

message 6: by Grumpus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

Grumpus | 18 comments Here is an example of what I propose:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/94...

message 7: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
We'd prefer to keep narrator's in the books description field rather than in the secondary author field. Otherwise you end up with authors named "Narrated by: Scott Brick". We will add making narrators and illustrators, etc listed to our todo list.

message 8: by Grumpus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Grumpus | 18 comments Okay, I changed the example back to its original state.