Ladies who love Laurell discussion

Richard (Do you hate him or love him)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 328 (328 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
OK Guys we really need a thread just about Richard and our Love and or Hatred of his furry butt so here we go. Heck we can just start out as Do you hate him or do you love him?

I for example have moments of wanting to punch him and yet I can't stop thinking about what Anita's own personality has done to his so I'm gonna say Love. Gasp I know I know.

message 2: by Cat (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

Cat | 202 comments used to love him, now he just pisses me off. I thought he was finally coming around in The Harlequin. But know he has to be all pissy, and thinking about his feelings all the damn time, when he could be helping to save people. Really imagine how kick ass the triumverate would be if he'd just get it together!!

message 3: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
Seriously. I was so excited for a while in the Harlequin when Richard came into the room and decided to lay on the bed. Here's my theory though. RIchard is inheriting a bunch of ANita's emotions and such and Anita definetly has a habbit for being bi polar, and Richard is totally inheriting that. Be that as it may Richard better get his crap together or someone is gonna need to kick his butt. If he would, I agree with you Cat, they would be amazing. Maybe ANita would have more control over her powers. Oh well I guess we'll never know thanks alot Richard.

message 4: by Cat (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

Cat | 202 comments I wish they would all get the fourth mark so they would all know exaclty how the others were feeling, abd be able to get inside each other's brains... then maybe Richard would get over himself quicker. Becuse dammit there's a lot of bad stuff coming up, and they need to get the damn triumverate working.
Richard... why!!!!!

message 5: by Erzebetdahmer (new)

Erzebetdahmer | 2 comments Richard....one word to describe him,....FRUSTRATING! LOL

I did like him at first, but he is so damn frustrating. Why can he not understand that all he is doing is being selfish and hurting the triumverate?! He really needs to get his act together and learning to cope with things.

message 6: by Cat (new)

Cat | 202 comments Yes!!! I can't believe as soon as he realized he could he tried to roll Anita!!! STUPID!!! Like as soon as she was herself again it would change things between them???!!! HELLO Richard!!! Anita's life is not going to magically dissapear so she can be your housewife!!! And even if she did, YOU"D STILL BE A WEREWOLF!!!!

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Richard is beyond frustrating. He gets so close and then he freaks out again. Anita does the same though sometimes. Just when I think she has really embraced her situation, doubt starts to creep in and she wonders if she really does want the picket fence. I want her to give in fully to her situation and Jean Claude. It's time for the fourth mark already! I really hope that at some point Richard realizes that he is not cut out for the picket fence either. He will never find a human wife who can fulfill his sexual needs. He'll scare the hell out of her or kill her if he tries.

message 8: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 278 comments Richard is the person you once loved too much to ever completely give up on. That's not to say you could ever really be together, either. Metaphysics aside, I think there is a connection still there that can't be completely severed.

I think the big problem with Richard is he needs time to process things. Anita and Jean-Claude can push through and deal with the consequences later. Richard can't jump into a situation till he's ready. So every time Richard is ready to compromise and make things work, the situation changes on him and once again, he can't cope.

Let's say I'm still a bit hopelessly optimistic where Richard is concerned.

message 9: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
Jean Claude definetly needs to help Richard a bit with dealing with his arduer. Maybe that will give them a chance to get closer. heehee yeah right Richard will probably just get pissed again.

message 10: by Cat (new)

Cat | 202 comments LOve it!!!
Can you imagine!!!

Richard at the Circus, feeling lust over JC and wanting to do it, them being him, getting all ashamed and trying to run away... but no! in walks Anita, and makes him face himself and his desires through her first, and then JC...and at last... a working triumverate!!!!

...see how ya feel about that Mommie Dearest!

message 11: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
heehee A working trumverate cat what is that. Jeeze they would be so much more powerful if Richard wasn't such a dummy.

message 12: by Cat (new)

Cat | 202 comments You know how everytime they have to use their triumverate powers Richard F#@!%s it up and it's only partly powerful. Imagine if they got it to work the way its supposed to!!

message 13: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
Ugh I know they get so close so many times then richard storms off.

message 14: by Cat (new)

Cat | 202 comments yes! so annoying!!! (like Richard) (even though we still love him, mostly)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to say - I pity the guy but I really don't like him
I used to - at the start of the series he was a really great guy but now....Jerk
I understand that a large amount of his personality shift is due the exchange through the TRI but still - eventually you have to grow up and accept yourself - I'm waiting for Micah, Nathaniel, JC, or Jason to just knock the crap out of him!

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine Richard | 8 comments I just have to say that I agree with everything you guys have said. I personally think that Jason is going to be the one to finally kick some sense into Richard's head (i hope) It is so frustrating that they get so close, then his issues rais their ugly little heads, and everything goes to hell again!!

message 17: by Cat (new)

Cat | 202 comments ooooh oooooh! NOw that Jason is connected metaphysically to Anita that's giong to mean that he's "different" within the pack. I can totally see Richard an Jason fighting, because Richard will HATE that Anita is that close to another wolf

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) I can't say I hate Richard but he is very very very fustrating and delusional. He just needs to get over trying to be normal and embrace his life as a Were and 1/3 of the triumverate

message 19: by Erica (new)

Erica | 1 comments Love him. His conflict sucks, and his anger is just a side affect.. I am a always drawn to the furry characters in the books I read..

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (Seabsmith) | 6 comments I love Richard to death, but he's just going to have to ease up if he wants to be in Anita's life. I can see Anita tossing a few of her apples of blood to the side now that she is getting her ardeur under control. I know Anita still wants and needs Richard in her life. Hell, if Anita won't be his lupa, I will!

message 21: by Donna (new)

Donna | 22 comments I agree with you guys---Richard is sooo important to Anita's story--and the fact that he is powerful and a hottie doesn't hurt either, but he really has to loosen up a little and embrace who he is,the power he has, and his importance to the survival of JC, Anita and his pack.

message 22: by Acg2003 (new)

Acg2003 | 24 comments "I think the big problem with Richard is he needs time to process things. Anita and Jean-Claude can push through and deal with the consequences later. Richard can't jump into a situation till he's ready. So every time Richard is ready to compromise and make things work, the situation changes on him and once again, he can't cope.

Let's say I'm still a bit hopelessly optimistic where Richard is concerned."

I totally agree with you, mlady_rebecca. This is exactly how I feel about Richard.

message 23: by Cat (new)

Cat | 202 comments I think Richard should go on Holiday, and when he returns he will be enlightened and ready to be a part of the world he lives in.

okay, i'm living in a dream world..... i think i've been eating too much chocolate...

message 24: by LinBee (new)

LinBee I used to love him, but now I just want to slap him upside the head really hard. At times he seems to be back to his old self, but then he just has to ruin it. At least now we know why he is like that (having inherited Anita's rage.) Maybe he'll stop being a brat so much!

message 25: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 71 comments Total love and hate. I think he needs a good kick in the head, but as a character he is perfect. We can't LOVE everyone in the books cuz if they were perfect we wouldn't have so much of the story line that we do have. I think we need the conflict that Richard provides in order to prevent bordom. If everthing worked so smoothly it wouldn't be as exciting.

message 26: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) I think I am the oddball out of all of the people I talk to about the series and Richard..

From the beginning I really didnt care for him much.. I think alot of what had to do with my feelings for him (or lack thereof), was the fact that I wanted Anita to be with Jean Claude from the start. I am just a vampire lover at heart :P

Now, as the books progressed even though I didnt like Richard to start off with I grew to like him.. And then now again just hate him and wish him written out lol.

I agree with the majority of people I have seen and spoken with about his whiney baby attitude and that it really needs to go for her to really keep him in the book. Wishful thinking I suppose!

message 27: by Starr (new)

Starr | 59 comments Cat wrote: "I think Richard should go on Holiday, and when he returns he will be enlightened and ready to be a part of the world he lives in.

okay, i'm living in a dream world..... i think i've been eatin..."

I agree, Cat. Richard has helped Anita grow and realize her own short comings. TIme to cut the strings or he needs to reinvent himself.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (fields) | 6 comments Love and Hate! Can't live with him and can't live without him. The series wouldn't be the same without Richard.

Frusterating as hell, though, isn't he?

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (AmandaRose) | 148 comments ok at first i loved him, then i hated him, now i accept him as a man that will always be around in her life. ughhh Sarah he is soo frusterating.

message 30: by Kelley (new)

Kelley | 62 comments Love him! Hate him! Love Hate, there is definately a fine line between them. Richard just needs to suck it up and be the Alpha that he's supposed to be.

message 31: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (CynthiaDonne) | 4 comments I think I just find him so annoying that I can't see past it. Just when I think he's coming around, something new happens and he has a major wuss relapse. He's been in this world a long time now, he's the Alpha of his pack, he's seen a lot of weirdness...if he doesn't like it he should at least be used to it by now and have some different reactions. I know I may sound unfair, but I go back to my opening statement...he's just annoying.

message 32: by Sarah (last edited Feb 18, 2009 07:42PM) (new)

Sarah (fields) | 6 comments You're right about the Alpha thing, I'm reading the books and thinking that Richard can't possibly be doing a decent job with his pack. I gotta wonder how long until it turns into trouble for him. Perhaps coming from Sylvia?

message 33: by Kelley (new)

Kelley | 62 comments Oh, I think they'll be trouble all right. But Anita will just step up and save the day as usual. Or maybe Anita will be the one that brings the trouble. I think she can best Richard any day of the week. Yes, Richard needs to snap out of his fantasy world, suck it up, and just do what he is supposed to do.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I've decided that I am so over Richard. You can only put up with so much from one person. Even though it sucks for him that he got some of Anita's rage you still have to take control and responsibility for yourself at some point. It's time for the little cub to grow up and start acting like a real wolf.

message 35: by Michael (new)

Michael (Ramaloke) | 25 comments I hate Richard, he has excluded Anita as much as possible from the pack, and thats frustrating, the Pack dynamic was always really interesting and Richard is killing that. His character is always so predictable, he always hurts anita and makes her cry. He is selfish and self destructive. Anita gives so much of herself when she would rather not and he is holding them back.

message 36: by Jiaka1981 (new)

Jiaka1981 Winfield | 62 comments After reading the Harliquin, i just wanted to kick richard in the balls and walk away. I hope he come around because his characters is annoying. What the HELL was up with him bringing his girlfriend to anita's house. that pissed me off.

message 37: by Michael (new)

Michael (Ramaloke) | 25 comments I think its funny though that he pretends to be so moral and lily white, while at the same time doing things that he thinks anita is doing (sleeping around, sexxing up everybody and even going so far as to think shed be doing Nathaniel while poor kid hadn't even gotten any nookie) and is always taken aback that Anita has more moral fiber than he though she had.

message 38: by Kelley (new)

Kelley | 62 comments You both (Michael & Jiaka) are absolutely right. But he is such an important part of the story, Anita and Jean Claude need him. But they need him to do what he is supposed to do. I would love to see more of the pack, that was one of my favorite parts of the series. And yes I think Anita should get more involved with the pack, because that is where she is being neglectful.

message 39: by Marisella (new)

Marisella (stregamari) Yeah well, remember, Anita vacillates just as much, and just as often to the detriment of the people around her. Damien became a revenant because of her refusal to face the facts about her role in his life and in the Triumvirate. Jean-Claude is even now weakened cause she's such a weinie about blood and sex. Richard is definitely blocked, but he sure hasn't had any love or guidance. His first sexual experience was with that sadist Raina, and then he gets with Anita and becomes Ulfric. No wonder he's conflicted! ironic, her first reaction to a problem is to shoot it, and his is to fuck it

Cindy wrote: "I think I just find him so annoying that I can't see past it. Just when I think he's coming around, something new happens and he has a major wuss relapse. He's been in this world a long time now,..."

message 40: by Starr (new)

Starr | 59 comments Anna wrote: "Yeah well, remember, Anita vacillates just as much, and just as often to the detriment of the people around her. Damien became a revenant because of her refusal to face the facts about her role in ..."

Good point Anna. I've always thought Anita and Richard mirror each other on certain issues. It just seems like Anita is becoming more accepting than Richard. Perhaps Richard just needs someone who is loving and understanding and be cradled under her wing for a while. You know...give him time to lick his wounds.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

well as im only in #8 Blue Moon, and currently I love Richard. There are moments where you just want to hit him, but not in this book so far. Im kinda relieved its one-lover-centered for a while ;)

message 42: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 278 comments Carmen wrote: "Im kinda relieved its one-lover-centered for a while ;) "

LOL. Guess you haven't read any spoilers for the later books yet.

message 43: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 10 comments Richard? can't live with him- can't live without him. Just like a lot of other people here I find him frustrating. But here's my thought on it- if he were perfectly agreeable we'd call him Micah.
One Micah is great- two would be boring.
Now that Richard has let go of some of his rage, it'll be interesting to see where the character goes. I have hope for Richard. In the end- I vote love him!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

mlady_rebecca wrote: "LOL. Guess you haven't read any spoilers for the later books yet.

"

no, I havent and I wont, but I can imagine how it continues very well :P One of my friend keeps telling me things, and thats why I hesitated even to buy this book ;)

message 45: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (NamelessBaroness) Richard has never, never done anything but cheese me off. He's so caught up in his own drahma and angst that he doesn't do a thing to help anyone else, even his pack, for the most part.

*ring ring* "Hello, Richard? This is Reality calling. I? Am not black and white. I know this is not the way you want me to be, but tough cookies, dude. People you claim to love need you to get your head out yer arse and accept that. Love should trump all, not your middle class, Mid-West, mid-life, rather overly conservative sense of right and wrong.
"Along those lines, you are the only one who chooses your actions. If you do something you don't like, take responsibility, jerk-wad. Quit blaming it on Anita, Jean-Claude, the moon (well, the moon might be an acceptable excuse) your girlfriend, whatever.
"Also, you are neither an angel or a demon; you're human a werewolf. Doing a few bad things does not make you a bad person! Doing a bad thing does not mean you should do only bad things. Again, not black and white. Are we seeing a theme here?
"Quit acting like the orifice on the northbound end of a southbound donkey, or go become a hermit, m'kay?"

Actually, put that way, he reminds me of a couple of guys I dated in college. No wonder I never liked him.

message 46: by Shundra (new)

Shundra | 4 comments I like Richard but he is very Fustrating. I also think that he has an ideal of who Anita should be and he camn't accept that she doesn't fit into that particular box. He wants something that I'm not sure is even possible at this point in the story line.

Will he give up his dream of a white picket fence and accept anita for who and what she is or will their relationship truely end. That is my question

message 47: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 278 comments Carmen wrote: "no, I havent and I wont, but I can imagine how it continues very well :P One of my friend keeps telling me things, and thats why I hesitated even to buy this book ;)"

All I can say is don't pay too much attention to what other people say about the books. Most people over-emphasize what they like or dislike about the books.

Personally, I think they get better from "Narcissus in Chains" on, but then the idea of Anita being involved with both Jean-Claude and Richard never bothered me.

I love that, as the books progress, Anita finally learns to get out of her own way. I think that's refreshing.

By the way, there is very little sexual content in the 9th book, "Obsidian Butterfly". Anita is out of town without either of her "boyfriends".

message 48: by Randy (new)

Randy Smith (Noirree) | 2 comments Hi,
I am new to the group and I have been a fan for a while and as to loving or hating Richard... I think he hates who he is enough for us all. He doesn't want to be a werewolf. It seems as time goes on he is fighting it more, using his love for Anita as the target. It's time for him to get over himself and deal with being furry and able to bench press a car... things could be a lot worse.

message 49: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) I started a thread on the Paranormal Romance board about characters you want to shake, throttle, or slap, and Richard has gotten quite a few votes.

I think my problem lies not with Richard's attitude, but with the amount of time he's sustained it. The resistance and conflict he's provided was key to the storyline. It even helped Anita to see more clearly the damage she herself caused.

But it reached a boiling point a while ago for me, where now I want him to go on that suggested vacation and come back more enlightened.

How can he possibly remain as Alpha or retain anyone's respect if his behaviour continues for much longer? It just doesn't mesh.

I was so relieved that LKH moved toward resolving at least some of his irrational anger in the last book. Richard's moral righteousness provided a great point of conflict, but it's served its purpose, and eventually, as a LEADER, doesn't he have to realize that his bond with Anita and Jean Claude can only strengthen HIM, too?

Richard was never a stupid man, but he's been ACTING very dumb for far too long. It's time for a serious change-up and I hope that's where LKH is heading. I'll even take gradual progress for the precious snowflake, so long as that progress is concrete. Otherwise, we're caught in a never-ending loop of resentment and failed potential.

message 50: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 278 comments Michelle wrote: I think my problem lies not with Richard's attitude, but with the amount of time he's sustained it.

Actually, it hasn't been as long as you would think. The entire span of the books takes place in like a five - six year period.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7