The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > Uncommon Holidays

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Okay, so I thought we should have a topic for holidays other than the standard US ones.

Soooooo. Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

I raise my margarita to all of you and hope you have a most pleasant holiday today. Ceviche and tacos at my place!

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Salud!

message 3: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
LOL... I was visiting a friend in Southern California on that day and we had soft tacos and I whipped up some SERIOUSLY strong Margaritas! We all had at least four of them!! Well, except the 19 month old... :D It was a fun night all around with good people!

message 4: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

P.S. I changed the title so people might see it and use it for Arbor Day and such instead of thinking it's about Christmastime. Hope you don't mind.

message 5: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Um. I just noticed. We're one member away from hitting the 1000 mark... should we declare it an official holiday or something???

:D

message 6: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Or maybe that person should win something. LOL

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments Like a commemorative copy of Gatsby or Wuthering Heights.

message 8: by Meghan (new)

Meghan With a free trip to Exile Island! Lucky Member!

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments I know it is a US thing but I definitely would like to make Earth Day a bigger celebration...especially since my birthday falls on the same day. I suppose I could meld the two so it's an Earthday Bearthday. Also, Guy Fawkes day in November. We have a flag shop near our house that always has a "sandwhich board" listing whatever national holiday it is. I think I recently saw "Bosnia Day" listed.

message 10: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

I think one of the funniest is Sweetest Day. What the -- ??

message 11: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Twenty Movies To Watch with Mom...

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20199...

message 12: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Susie is member #1000!! What does she win?

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers!

message 14: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Actually, I love Sweetest Day. Mainly because I used to be rigidly anti-Valentine's Day. So my ex and I used to celebrate this day instead. Plus, you just can't have enough holidays in the fall.

My question is why do we (as a nation) not celebrate President's Day any more? If banks take Columbus Day and MLK Jr. Day off, shouldn't the day reserved for our country's first president be considered a worthy holiday also? I just think that's so odd.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The banks I worked for took President's Day off.

message 16: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

When I was young we used to get both Washington's and Lincoln's birthday off. They combined them and added MLK, Jr. Day., but to mean that means we should celebrate/honor that day all the more. In other words, I'm with you, Meghan.

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments As a teacher I have both President's Day and MLK, Jr. Day off of schools. Not all school districts follow suit. Oh, and has anyone out there ever celebrated St. Urho's Day?

message 18: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

I'd never heard of St. Urho's Day and instantly looked it up online. I went here: http://www.sainturho.com/ But, the following paragraph had me LAUGHING LOUDLY OUT LOUD. Completely love their humor!

St. Urho's Day is celebrated on March 16th, the day prior to the better known feast of some minor saint from Ireland, who was alleged to have driven the snakes from that island.

message 19: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Um, that's the "Irish" name of St. Patrick right?

message 20: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

No... Look it up, it's funny! (It's Finnish.) Oh, and it sounds like it originated up in your area!

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments Technically it's not Finnish. It's Finnish-American. The town my Grandpa lives in has a full size statue of good old St. Urho. And more recently I have pondered the chosen date of March 16th. Not as a reaction to St. Patrick's Day but to another important meaning of 3:16.....

message 22: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

No, I saw it was Finnish-American... I was just wanting to get people to look. It's really a funny little site.

message 23: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I read the quote wrong.

message 24: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments I just had to clarify since I am representing the FA population (even though I am pretty much a mutt).

message 25: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Well, I'm all for celebrating new holidays. St. Urho's getting put on the calendar!

message 26: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments Meghan (great name by the way) make sure you dress in green and purple that day. My Dad always gives my mom a couple of carnations that are dyed green or purple.

message 27: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Megan (greatness does surround us doesn't it? hehe), I am lovin' your holiday more and more. I love purple and green. I may have to change my mind about Minnesotans (sorry I just can't get behind your football team!).

message 28: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments Oh Minnesotans are great and I really am not offended by your lack of support for the Vikings. It's hockey that really matters for us!