Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > February 2010 Purchases

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joseph (last edited Jan 31, 2010 07:13AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1855 comments Mod
I don't know about you, but it sure feels like January went by fast. Since tomorrow is the first of February, I thought I'd get this thread started so it would be up and ready for us to list our February purchases. Have fun.

P.S. Don't forget to go to the polls and tally up your January purchase total to see how bad or how good (depending how you look at it) you were compared to the other Book Buying Addicts. :-)

message 2: by Patrik (new)

Patrik | 18 comments I took a early start this month... As I am in Paris on Business I decided to go to the biggest bookstore of Paris.... big mistake...

message 3: by Patrik (last edited Feb 01, 2010 01:00PM) (new)

Patrik | 18 comments So I bought
Le Juge d'Egypte, coffret de 3 volumes by Christian Jacq Révolution française, coffret en 2 tomes Le Peuple et le Roi ; Aux armes, citoyens ! by Gallo Max Comptines assassines by Pierre Dubois The Bodies Left Behind A Novel by Jeffery Deaver Death Angels (Inspector Winter, #1) by Åke Edwardson Histoire des croisades et du royaume franc de Jérusalem Tome 1, 1095-1130 L'anarchie musulmane by René Grousset Les Romains, Tome 1 Spartacus La Révolte des esclaves by Max Gallo
and some french comics:
Le casse Diamond by Christophe Bec Vinci, Tome 2 Ombre et lumière by Didier Convard Vinci, Tome 1 L'Ange Brisé by Didier Convard

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Today I received: Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 2 by Jake T. Forbes Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 3 by Jake T. Forbes . I'm still waiting for vol. 1 to arrive.

message 5: by Joseph (new)

You'll like Skinwalker, it's an original story, a neat combo of vampires and shifters.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I haven't been counting my swaps [at all:] as purchases. but if I did, I'd start this month with:
Nauti Intentions (Nauti, #4) by Lora Leigh Beast Of Dreams by Cynthia Williams

message 7: by Michelle (last edited Feb 02, 2010 03:21PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments
Today, some of used and new purchases arrived from amazon:
Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1 by Jake T. Forbes Skin Game (Skin, #1) by Ava Gray [image error] Fairyville by Emma Holly Out of Sight (T-FLAC, #5) by Cherry Adair A Rose in Winter by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss and books 1-6 of The Immortals series written by various authors.

message 8: by Valorie (new)

Valorie I had one arrive from Book Depository today...
Deadtown (Deadtown, #1) by Nancy Holzner

and bought from the used book store...
Key to Conflict (Gillian Key, ParaDoc, #1)  by Talia Gryphon Touched by Darkness (The Sentinel Series, Book 1) (Berkley Sensation) by Catherine Spangler Tutu Deadly (Jenny T. Partridge Dance Mystery, Book 1) by Natalie M. Roberts A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (Callie Parrish Mystery, Book 1) by Fran Rizer Elvis and The Dearly Departed by Peggy Webb [image error] Shooting Gallery An Art Lover's Mystery by Hailey Lind

message 9: by Devi (new)

Devi (shimmerpop) | 22 comments Michelle wrote: "Today I received: Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 2 by Jake T. ForbesReturn to Labyrinth, Vol. 3 by Jake T. Forbes. I'm still waiting for vol. 1 to arrive."

Have you read them yet? Will you let me know if they're good? I keep seeing them at the bookstore and think about picking them up, but I haven't heard anything about them.

message 10: by Devi (new)

Devi (shimmerpop) | 22 comments So far this month I've only gotten:

Dining Bar Akira

...and I feel like there was more, but I can't recall...must be my elderly brain giving out...

[image error]

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Shimmerpop wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Today I received: Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 2 by Jake T. ForbesReturn to Labyrinth, Vol. 3 by Jake T. Forbes. I'm still waiting for vol. 1 to arrive."

Have you read them yet?..."

I haven't read them yet. I'm a huge fan of the movie and a friend of mine recommended them. She read them, and was really impressed. She can hardly wait for vol 4 to be released. I hope to read them soon, and I definitely let you know :o)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I bought Anansi Boys at work Thurs.

message 13: by Joseph (last edited Feb 05, 2010 08:34AM) (new)

Miracle of miracles, I actually haven't bought anything yet. But Borders is really tempting me, today they sent me an All Books Buy 1, Get 1 50% Off coupon. I've read that Borders is really in danger of going out of business and I fear they might. They seem to be offering these unbelievable coupons every week to try and drum up more business.

message 14: by LooLoo (new)

LooLoo Joseph wrote: "I've read that Borders is really in danger of going out of business and I fear they might. They seem to be offering these unbelievable coupons every week to try and drum up more business."

I sure hope they don't go out of business. Now I feel bad because I've been holding out for a 40% coupon which they haven't offered yet this year.

message 15: by Anne (last edited Feb 05, 2010 09:07AM) (new)

Anne (booklover6) that comes to 25% off....not good enough for me. I won't give in to the temptation!

2 books came from book depository for me today. They don't seem to have many 50% off books this month.

[image error] Surrender To Fire by Lora Leigh

message 16: by Joseph (new)

I want to buy Black Magic Sanction this month. Amazon is offering a 46% off preorder price while Book Depository is only offering 25% off. I'm debating whether to preorder it from Amazon now or wait and see if BookDepo will offer the 50% off when the book comes out like they sometimes do.

message 17: by LooLoo (new)

LooLoo Joseph - I would wait a little longer and watch bookdepo because last month they upped the prices at the first of the month and then started coming back down on a lot of books by mid month. I'm hoping they will offer First Drop of Crimson for 50% off soon. Right now they are only $.05 off the full price.

message 18: by Joseph (new)

I'll try, Looloo. But it's SO hard to wait sometimes. :-)

message 19: by Devi (new)

Devi (shimmerpop) | 22 comments Joseph wrote: "Miracle of miracles, I actually haven't bought anything yet. But Borders is really tempting me, today they sent me an All Books Buy 1, Get 1 50% Off coupon. I've read that Borders is really in da..."

I was wondering if that was why I was suddenly getting a barrage of Borders coupons in my email, I hope they don't go out of business, too many bookstores are disappearing! I bought too much anime this month and don't have as much for books, otherwise I'd totally be using that buy 1, get one 50% off!

message 20: by Patrik (new)

Patrik | 18 comments I will be in 2 weeks in US and think that I need to go to borders before they eventually close business (this would be very bad...)

message 21: by Rene (new)

Rene | 27 comments I think this will be all for February unless I download some free books on my Kindle. Also, I just finished Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt. It was a great read and I could not put it down!

Books from Books a Million:
The Center of Everything Laura Moriarty
Eleanor vs Ike by Robin Gerber
The End of an Error by Mameve Medwed

Books from Sam's Club:
True Colors by Kristen Hannah
A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick

Books from Barnes & Noble
A Woman's Work is Never Done by BJ Gallagher
Lost & Found by Jacqueline Sheehan
The Bodies Left Behind by Jeffery Deaver
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything by Janelle Brown

message 22: by Rene (new)

Rene | 27 comments Okay. This really is my last post for the month!

Kindle Books:
The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen free
Talk of the Town by Lisa Wingate free
Daisy Chain: A Novel by Mary E. DeMuth free

The Postmistress pre-ordered Delivered Feb 9th
The Summer We Fell Apart by Robin Antalek
Secrets of Eden: A Novel by Chris Bohjalian

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Today using the Borders buy 1, get 1 50% off I bought:

Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler Pride and Prejudice (Bantam Classics) by Jane Austen Sense & Sensibility (Bantam Classics) by Jane Austen

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Just checked the mail, and got these from ebay today:

Holidays Are Hell by Kim Harrison [image error] Confessions of a Demon by S.L. Wright Blood Sins (Blood trilogy #2 - BCU #11) by Kay Hooper

message 25: by Valorie (new)

Valorie I went to my local library book sale today and bought ...
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Wicked is the Night by Catherine Mulvany Forbidden Nights With a Vampire (Love at Stake, #7) by Kerrelyn Sparks Tumbling Through Time by Gwyn Cready

Then while I was at Wal-Mart shopping I bought..
Bone Magic (Sisters of the Moon, #7) by Yasmine Galenorn

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Shannon wrote: "I went to Borders with the half off the second book deal and got Moon Called, Blood Bound, Iron Kissed and Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs. Then I got Blood Fever and Dark Fever by Karen Marie Mon..."

I loved the Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series and the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning! I hope you enjoy them.

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy (aaammmyyy) | 32 comments Using Border's Buy 1 Get 1 50% off....

Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1) by Juliet Marillier The Wizard of Rondo (Rondo, #2) by Emily Rodda [image error] [image error]

message 28: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments Went to Borders, did not want to buy but husband was looking for a particular book, I ended up with "Baby Proof" by Emily Griffen- on clearance shelf for $4.99. Only 1 copy there.

message 30: by Valorie (new)

Valorie I went to the used book store today and bought....
[image error] What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #1) by Victoria Laurie A Charmed Death (Bewitching Mystery #2) by Madelyn Alt Bite the Bullet (Crimson Moon, Book 2) by L.A. Banks Highland Vampire by Hannah Howell Castle of the Wolf by Sandra Schwab

That puts me at 19 so far this month.

message 31: by Sigrid (new)

Sigrid Ruyter Smolan | 4 comments Hey :)
I'm new here, and I sure love buying books!

This week I've bought:
The Knight Templar (The Crusades Trilogy, 2) by Jan Guillou Eragon (Inheritance, #1) by Christopher Paolini

and it's my birthday on friday, and I'm gonna be trapped in a shopping mall for some hours that day.. so I think I might come with a looong update then :)

message 32: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) I feel left out! Guess I better get on the book buying bandwagon for February :):)

message 33: by Sigrid (last edited Feb 09, 2010 09:59AM) (new)

Sigrid Ruyter Smolan | 4 comments I bought two more boos today:
Thanks for the Memories by Cecelia Ahern The Kingdom at the End of the Road (The Crusades Trilogy, 3) by Jan Guillou

message 34: by Joseph (last edited Feb 09, 2010 11:29AM) (new)

Susan (Suz) wrote: "I feel left out! Guess I better get on the book buying bandwagon for February :):)"

Susan, I know the feeling. It's like I'm not doing my duty. lol. Unfortunately, my book buying budget has been severely cut do to the recent acquisition of a new used automobile. I think my days of binge buying are gone, at least for the next five years. :-)

message 35: by Valorie (new)

Valorie I just received from Half.com....

[image error] Edge of Desire (Primal Instinct, #3) by Rhyannon Byrd

21 so far

message 36: by Amy (last edited Feb 10, 2010 08:03PM) (new)

Amy (aaammmyyy) | 32 comments Got some children's books hehe (o:

Skeleton Creek (Skeleton Creek, #1) by Patrick Carman When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly Sent (The Missing, #2) by Margaret Peterson Haddix The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner Free Fall (Tunnels, #3) by Roderick Gordon

message 37: by Rene (new)

Rene | 27 comments Amy wrote: Got some children's books

Please let us know how you like When You Reach Me. I have been looking at that one with some interest. The reviews on it look really great.

message 38: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) OK, I feel so much better now! I have bought 3 books finally this month :)

I got First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost from Borders with coupon :)

And then I got Skin Trade (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #17) by Laurell K. Hamilton & Flirt (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #18) by Laurell K. Hamilton from bookdepository.com on sale!:)

message 39: by LooLoo (new)

LooLoo Susan (Suz) wrote: "OK, I feel so much better now! I have bought 3 books finally this month :)

I got First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost from Borders with coupon :)"

Ah Suz, I'm green with envy!!!! Either Borders better come out with a 40% off coupon or bookdepository better drop the price soon.

message 40: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments well i ordered Nicholas and Pleasure of a Dark Prince

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

I hear she's a good author =D.

message 42: by Valorie (last edited Feb 12, 2010 10:58AM) (new)

Valorie Went to library book sale, a used book store, and received an order from Half.com when I got home - wow I'm a maniac!

The Mercenary (T-FLAC, #1) (Revised Edition) by Cherry Adair Nerd in Shining Armor (Nerds, #1) by Vicki Lewis Thompson Too Far Gone (SEAL Team 12, #6) by Marliss Melton Hex Marks the Spot (Bewitching Mystery #3) by Madelyn Alt Rises The Night (Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #2) by Colleen Gleason Dragon Moon (Moon Series, Book 11) by Rebecca York [image error] Crouching Vampire, Hidden Fang (Dark Ones, #7) by Katie MacAlister The Scent of Shadows The First Sign of the Zodiac by Vicki Pettersson Charmed and Dangerous (Bronwyn the Witch, Book 1) by Candace Havens Heart Of Stone (The Negotiator Trilogy, Book 1) by C.E. Murphy Immortal by V.K. Forrest

I'm at 33

message 43: by Rene (new)

Rene | 27 comments The Politician became available for purchase on my Kindle last night. I bought it. :)

message 44: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Dang Valorie you are seriously going to give Joseph and LooLoo a run for their money this month AND it's a short month! LOL ;) And just for the record I'm jealous ;)

message 45: by Michelle (last edited Feb 13, 2010 05:06AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Today I went to the used bookstore and bought:
Naked Dragon (Works Like Magick, #1) by Annette Blair [image error] Naked in Death (In Death #1) by J.D. Robb Glory in Death (In Death #2) by J.D. Robb Immortal in Death (In Death #3) by J.D. Robb The Captain of All Pleasures by Kresley Cole The Price of Pleasure by Kresley Cole Tapestry by Karen Ranney Tongue In Chic (Fortune Hunter, #2) by Christina Dodd Then Comes Seduction (Huxtable Quintet, #2) by Mary Balogh A Hoboken Hipster in Sherwood Forest by Marianne Mancusi Moongazer (Shomi) by Marianne Mancusi [image error] Out of the Night (Night Slayer, #1) by Robin T. Popp Tempted in the Night (Night Slayer, #3) by Robin T. Popp (the last 2 are from ebay)

message 46: by Patrik (new)

Patrik | 18 comments I just received

Apollo's Song by Osamu Tezuka by Osamu Tezuka
The Rising by Brian Keene by Brian Keene
The Bizarro Starter Kit (Orange) by Carlton Mellick III by Carlton Mellick III and others.

Next week i will be in NJ let's see what I will find...

message 47: by Valorie (new)

Valorie Susan (Suz) wrote: "Dang Valorie you are seriously going to give Joseph and LooLoo a run for their money this month AND it's a short month! LOL ;) And just for the record I'm jealous ;)"

It looks as though Michelle is as addicted as I am!! I must say Joseph and LooLoo are my inspiration!

message 48: by Amy (last edited Feb 14, 2010 12:41AM) (new)

Amy (aaammmyyy) | 32 comments I'm a teen, so I generally buy YA titles only! Today I went to a Barnes & Noble AND Borders...

Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines Acceleration (Readers Circle) by Graham McNamee The Last Knight by Hilari Bell Need (Need, #1) by Carrie Jones Half-Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer [image error]

btw @ Rene: I will definitely let you know, when I get around to reading it! I've built up quite a tbr pile :D

message 49: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Valorie wrote: "Susan (Suz) wrote: "Dang Valorie you are seriously going to give Joseph and LooLoo a run for their money this month AND it's a short month! LOL ;) And just for the record I'm jealous ;)"

It looks..."

Valorie, you, LooLoo, and Joseph inspire me! Everytime I see what you've bought, I want to buy it too. I only thought I was a bibliophile until I joined this group :oP

message 50: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Even though Borders and BAM have some great coupons, and two weeks is an extremely long time not to buy any books,I think I'm done buying for this month. One of my dogs is sick, requiring a couple of trips to the vet :o( I'll just wait for my amazon and ebay purchases to arrive, and FINALLY put the bookcase together that I've had for over a month.

« previous 1