Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Addictive Series

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 165 comments Every book lover gets hooked on a series now and then. You know the feeling - reading every book in the series back to back then eagerly awaiting the next installment. You feel emotionally invested in the characters and can't wait to find out what happens next. Which PNR series do you find addictive?

Here are mine:
Twilight series - Stephanie Meyer
Anita Blake series - Laurel K. Hamilton
Immortals after Dark series - Kresley Cole
Black Dagger Brotherhood series- J R Ward
Queen Betsy series - MaryJanice Davidson
Sookie Stackhouse (southern vampire) series - Charlaine Harris
Mercedes Thompson series - Patricia Briggs

Promising Start (I'm on chapter 7 of the first book): Riley Jensen Guardian series - Keri Arthur

message 2: by Murrrmaiyd (new)

Murrrmaiyd | 25 comments The number one most addictive one for me is J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series. To call it an addiction is probably a vast understatement...lol... 28 days to Phury!! This series is one I will do anything it takes to get to the bookstore on the DAY the new book is released to get my hands on it.

Others I will always buy, just not with quite the same obsession-factor: Christine Feehan's Dark series, Jenna Black's Guardians of the Night and her Demons, Kate Douglas's Wolf Tales, Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed, Lynn Viehl's Darkyn, Jacquelyn Frank's Nightwalkers, and Laurell K Hamilton's Merry Gentry (haven't tried Anita yet). There are probably others I'm not thinking of, but that's probably the strongest. The Patricia Briggs - Mercedes Thompson series I only have one of so far, so I can't say whether I'd call it addiction level, but I did like the first, so I'm sure I'll get the rest of those too.

That's funny you've just started the first Riley Jensen, that one is by my bed for me to start here in a minute...lol...

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (katldy) | 5 comments I agree with the Twilight series as being the #1 most addictive.
I am only on book 6 of Anita Blake but it is going good so far. Needs to get a little more steamy for me.
Mercy Thompson series was great. Slow start I think...but book 3 was just fantastic.

The Mona Lisa series by Sunny was pretty addicting as well.

Ok, Nora Roberts' Circle trilogy was great.

Twilight was actually my first paranormal romance....so I'm looking foward to trying all the suggestions I find here!! The Black Dagger Brotherhood sound like it will be next after I finish the Anita Blakes

message 4: by Dorothy (last edited May 06, 2008 05:53PM) (new)

Dorothy (dotb) | 1 comments How about Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series? There's also an element of romance to Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series...and Kim Harrison's The Hollows series, too. Definitely paranormal...
I love Laurell Hamilton, Charlaine Harris, MaryJanice Davidson and Christine Feehan as well. Also getting some great ideas for some I've missed!

message 5: by Ahvenge (new)

Ahvenge | 2 comments I just started Mercedes Thompson, but I love the Dark Hunter series. I have read them all.

message 6: by calicheri (new)

calicheri | 39 comments Nalini Singh's Psi/Changling series
JR Ward's BDB
JD Robb's In Death
Feehan's all
Lynsay Sand's Argenau series
Kresley Cole IAD
Shiloh Walker's Hunters
Lora Leigh's Breeds

message 7: by Sayuri_x (new)

Sayuri_x At the moment for me, it's JR Ward's Black Dagger Brtherhood series. Man, I can't get enough of those brothers. I am so with Murrrmaiyd. I am so there on release day for that book. June 5th can't come frickin' quick enough for mr.

Other obessions have been at one point...

Meljean Brooks guardian series. These are seriously fantastic books. Terrible covers though. Eck! I feel so sorry for her sometimes. To have her fantastic books wrapped in such awful crap.

Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series. I love me an alpha male. Oh yes.

Marjorie M Lui and her Dirk & Steele series. No one can make inst-o-matic falling in love seem more natural than Marjorie. And there is always something going on.

And although it's not strictly PR I love me a little Harry Dresden so Jim Butcher has to go on the list as well.

message 8: by Melisande (new)

Melisande (melisandes) Like you I am addicted to

Queen Betsy series - MaryJanice Davidson
Sookie Stackhouse - Charlaine Harris

Also I am addicted to
Aisling Grey by Katie MacAlister
Broken Heart Oklahoma by Michelle Bardsley

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) More like obsessed for me
Anita Blake
Sookie Stackhouse
Darkyn series by Viehl
Argeneau series By sands
Georgina Kincaid series by Mead
Garnet Lacy series by Hallaway
Currently starting
Riley Jensen
Greywalker
Rachel morgan
Woman of the Otherworld and so many others

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) For Kathy
Keep reading Blake after Obsidian butterfly( book 9) you'll have so much steamy scenes your gonna be like Wow , how did Anita go from one end of the spectrum to the other many fans have complained that there is too much sex in the following books, but not me I'm still a huge fan and I can't wait for Blood Noir.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (katldy) | 5 comments Jael, this is what I've heard too. I like raunchiness...lol

message 12: by Jan (last edited May 13, 2008 03:53PM) (new)

Jan (jan1228) My List of addictive PR authors (so far):

Katie MacAlister - Dark Ones, Aisling Grey (Guardian),Silver Dragons - Series
Elizabeth Amber - The Lords of Satyr Series
Alexandra Ivy - Guardians of Eternity Series
Susan Sizemore - The Primes Series
Patricia Briggs - Mercedes Thompson Series

Non-PR authors:
Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files Series

I still have 17 authors on my TBR pile sitting on my shelf by my bed. So the list will grow I'm sure.

message 13: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Jael, that's the thing I'm trying to understand. She came off as totally against sex before marriage and she turned into a freak like that?? That's kind of ridiculous. I'm only just done with Book 4 but her shooting everybody on a whim without a care in the world started bugging me. And there was no Jean Claude!!

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (giraffe_days) Kathy, Twilight was my first paranormal romance book too :)

My addiction list to-date:
Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
Immortals After Dark - Kresley Cole
Riley Jenson Guardian - Keri Arthur
Argeneau Vampires - Lynsay Sands
Black Dagger Brotherhood - J.R. Ward
Aishling Grey - Katie McAlister
Nightwalkers - Jacquelyn Frank (#3 was especially good and saved the previous two)

There's still plenty I've got to-read, and some series I've only read one book so far so I haven't included them, even if I really enjoyed them.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Ranata- I felt the same way about not getting enough Jean claude( who i love as well but you get use to thier relationship and appreciate the little time the have in the earlier books) . I think the whole Anita being a freak thing is due to growing up. She always seemed to close her self off to men b/c of her bad experience in college and threw herself into her work.( hence the whole I'm a bad-ass who going to kill whatever comes after me.) But now she's opening up to the love that Richard, Jean-Claude, and the others are giving so the story is more of her and the men she loves rather than the kill everything that moves Anita. Plus we get way more Jean Claude then before.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'm very much addicted to Kim Harrison's Hollows series and Karen Marie Moning's Fever series. Faefever comes out this fall, and I'm so excited! I also like the Immortality Bites series by Michelle Rowen and the Cassie Palmer series by Karen Chance.

Other standards have already been mentioned with gusto: Twilight, Aisling Grey, Silver Dragons, Anita Blake... all good stuff.

message 17: by Ranata (last edited May 20, 2008 08:13PM) (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Jael, I don't feel like going out and sleeping with everyone that comes into your life a sign of someone growing up but that's just me. I didn't read the books for the romance factor. I liked that it was light and there was a lot of flirting instead fucking but it was also sort of annoying that she was so closed off to men in that way. For Laurell to take Anita from that extreme to a totally opposite one and just say "she's growing up", that's not really character development, IMO.

I'll probably continue the series but honestly, I really think I'll lose interest even if there is more Jean Claude. I can read Sookie and get Eric and he's just as good, LOL.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Ranata- I like the fact that Anita isn't a stagnant character The fact that Laurell was brave enough to change a beloved character so drastically and still pull off great stories( I know ppl will argue that its more sex than plot, but the recent stories have more depth and insight into Anitas change once you get through being shocked by all the sex)well that earns 5 kudos in my book

As for Jean Claude all i can say is you might not want to read farther b/c I am so turned off by the character right now hes not even sexy to me anymore.I won't spoil it but if you do continue with the story,your in for a shocker.

As for Eric he's not just as good as jean Claude, hes better. I just wished FDTW had more Sookie and Eric time. I was getting so frustrated with the little bits of interaction i wanted to just stop reading and close the book.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments My favorite addictive series in no particular order:

1. J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood
2. Kresley Cole - Immortals After Dark
3. Lynn Viehl - Darkyn
4. Stephenie Meyer - Twilight
5. Lynsay Sands - Argeneau Vampires
6. Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress
7. Gaelen Foley - Knight series (Historical romance, not PNR, but I just love this series. Too bad the last one just came out. Whatever will I do without the darling Knight family? *sigh*)

That's all I have so far, but there are several author's whose books I've already bought and haven't gotten around to reading yet...

message 20: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Jael, I totally agree about Eric. He IS better and I met him first so...LOL

I hated all the little teasing we got with him and Sookie myself. The book as a whole wasn't as good as some of the other ones were. I guess she was just tying up lose ends in this one to get ready for all the new shit she just discovered. I just finished it yesterday and I can't wait for next year to roll around again!

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Ranata- Coulnd't agree more. This book was definitely a wrap. Can't wait til the next when all the good stuff hit. I wonder how the Vegas Vamps are going to run Shrieveport.

message 22: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 165 comments I'm adding a few more addictive series:

Karen Chance - Cassie Palmer series
Gena Showalter - Lords of the Underworld series
Jacquelyn Frank - Nightwalkers series
Richelle Mead - Georgina Kincaid series

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) I second The Lords series by Showalter. I can't wait until she gets around to Paris( Showalter said he might be book 6)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite series would be the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon, followed closely by Christine Feehan's Carpathians series and Ghostwalkers series.

message 25: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Black Dagger Brotherhood - JR Ward
The Darkyn - Lynn Viehl
Alpha & Omega - Patricia Briggs
Compact of Sorcerors - Eve Silver
Demonica Series - Larissa Ione
Phoenix Chronicles - Lori Handeland
Darkness Chosen - Christina Dodd
Historical Werewolf Series - Susan Krinard

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

My faves... Twilight, Harry Potter, The Sookie Stackhouse series, LA Banks Vampire Huntress Series, I have only read 2 of the Anita Blake books but so far so good.

message 27: by Jill (new)

Jill | 24 comments J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood
Jacquelyn Frank - Nightwalkers (reading Noah now)
Stephenie Meyer - Twilight
Sherrilyn Kenyon - Dark-Hunter

message 28: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Most of my picks have already been mentioned but in case anyone is keeping a tally... These are in no particular order and the last two I've only read the first book in the series but I know I'm going to love them.

1. Immortals After Dark - Kressley Cole
2. Southern Vampire Series (Sookie) - Charlaine Harris
3. Anita Blake - Laurel K. Hamilton
4. Twilight Series - Stephanie Myer
5. Blood Ties - Jennifer Armintrout
6. The Mortal Instruments - Cassandra Clare
7. The Hallows Series - Kim Harrison
8. Dark Hunter Series - Sherrilyn Kenyon

message 29: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
Here is my own list, and except for the first two, they are not listed in order of preference.

JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series
Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series

Karen Marie Moning's Highlanders and Fever series
Christine Feehan's Dark and Ghostwalker series
Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series
Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series
Jacquelyn Frank's Nightwalkers series
Alexis Morgan's Paladins series
Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series
Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series
Nina Bangs' Gods of the Night series
Christina Dodd's Darkness Chosen series
and
Deidre Knight's Midnight Warrior series (this one is more sci-fi than paranormal)

Great thread idea, and I've picked up new authors and series to try...adding to my ever increasing TBR list...

Way to go, ladies...

message 30: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB (melissaann) | 16 comments Karen Marie Moning - Highlander/Fever series
J.R. Ward - BDB
Nalini Singh - Psy/Changling series
Lora Leigh - Breeds
Christine Feehan - Dark series, Ghostwalkers
Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress
Patricia Brigg - Mercy Thompson, Alpha and Omega
Gena Showalter - Lords of the Underworld
Kresley Cole - Immortals After Dark
Lara Adrian - Midnight Breeds
Sherrilyn Kenyon - Dark Hunters (Acheron and Night Play are by far my favs)
Rhyannon Byrd - BloodRunners

message 31: by Amy (new)

Amy (ashz) | 41 comments Twilight - Stefanie Meyer
Women of the Otherworld - Kelly Armstrong
Otherworld - Yasmine Galenorn
Riley Jensen - Keri Arthur
Elemental Witchs - Anya Bast
House of Night - P.C. Cast
Sookie - Charlaine Harris
Betsy - Mary Janice Davidson
Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega - Patricia Briggs
Vampire Huntress - LA Banks (these got better, now it's more of I have to know the ending more than enjoy them)

I'm sure I have more, I just can't think of them right now.

message 32: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Coleman | 3 comments I've read of all those books except the vampire huntress series because I just couldnt get into those books. but they are AWESOME when you get into them (im talking to amy)

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy (ashz) | 41 comments They are really good once you get into them. I didn't REALLY start enjoying them until about book 8 or 9. But now I'm like "end it already!! I'm tired of waiting!" LOL At first I was reading them more for the multi-culture and religion factor, well besides the vamp part.

message 34: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresadamario) | 95 comments Okay, do we hear ourselves? "I didn't really start enjoying them until book 8..." LOL. SOmeone tell me how that works. Dang, if I'm not enjoying it by the end of book 1, I rarely move on to book 2.

There's an author I know who writes a contemporary series, (shall remain unnamed), and I LOVE that series, but I was lucky. I started at book 3. I went back and hated book 1, and got to admit, if that was the first one I read, I would NOT have continued with the series. Admittedly, I would have missed an awful lot, but I just can't continue with a series that doesn't grab me in the beginning.

There had to be something people like about a book series if they continue reading. Word of mouth only gets you so far. So what was it that drove you to continue reading that series? Boredom (i.e., book list ran out), Someone insisted you continue because they just knew you'd love it later, or you just can't stop once you begin a series (I'm that way with books. It's hard for me to put a book down unfinished).

Teresa D'Amario
SheWolf Dec 07 2nd place Prism, best first book
Tigress by the Tail Oct 08

message 35: by traceyellen (new)

traceyellen | 27 comments Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress
Patricia Briggs-Mercy Thompson and looks like Alpha and Omega too will be an addiction
Nalini Singh-Psy/Changeling
JR Ward-BDB
Kresley Cole-IAD
Gena Showalter - Lords of the Underworld
Lara Adrian - Midnight Breeds
Amelia Elias-Guardians' League (a trilogy that isn't nearly as popular as it should have been!)

All of the above have kept me up WAY too late or otherwise prevented me from doing what I needed to get done!

I really wanted to be addicted to the Darkyn series, but I am thru book 3 and have mixed emotions on the series thus far....

message 36: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I hear you Teresa! I don't like to quit on a book, but I certaintly won't keep reading a series if I'm not liking it. The only time I actually abandon a book is when I just don't like the writing style. It can be the dumbest plot or I hate the characters, but if it reads well, I'll stick with it. If the writing (or sometimes it's really just the editing) I have to give up.

I would consider an "addictive" series as one where you have to have the latest book immediately upon it's release. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are the Rachel Morgan series, Mercedes Thompson series, the Argeneau series, and the Carpathian series.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Just found this series by Shelley Laurenston it's called the Magnus Pack. There are three books out( I emailed Shelly and she said she has plans to continue with the series) and they're just fun and entertaing reads

message 38: by Jess (new)

Jess | 173 comments One of my favorite's is the dark hunter series by Sherrilyn kenyon. I think that each story is so unique and yet they are all woven together so perfectly.
I also liked the Anita Blake series but I did have some trouble with the last few books. I did enjoy them, but I really felt like the story lines became confusing while in the beginning the story lines were more interesting.

I also like the sookie stackhouse series, and the night huntress series by jeanine frost. I am about to start the brother hood series by J.D. Ward.

message 39: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 286 comments Twilight Series - Stephanie Meyer
Sookie Stackhouse - Charlaine Harris
Merecedes Thompson - Patricia Briggs
The Highlander Series - Karen Marie Moning
Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead
House of Night - P.C. Cast and Kristen Cast
The Blood Books - Tanya Huff

message 40: by Gbina (new)

Gbina | 16 comments Mercy Thompson - Patricia Briggs
Ukiah Oregon - Wen Spencer
Tinker - Wen Spencer (sadly there are only two so it is probably not a 'series')
Aisling Grey - Katie MacAlister
Sirantha Jax - Ann Aguirre
Warprize - Elizabeth Vaughn (although not really paranormal)