Harry Potter discussion

Movies > Favorite HP Movie

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Mine has to be the first one.It's where Harry discovers what he is for the first time and discovers the wizaridng world and finds his "true" home. Plust I like the music when he enters Diagon Alley for the first time.

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Rachel i love movie 3 and movie 5. i think both of them captured the spirit of their books, even if they left out some important stuff. plus, i LOVE the cinematography of movie 3.

message 3: by Kirk (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Kirk | 10 comments My favorite movie has to be the 5th. I like the evilness and darkness surrounded in it and how they capture Bellatrix Lestrange's mentalness so well.

message 4: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Jennifer Bellatrix is effin AMAZING!! also Luna was incredibly charming..2 new characters to light up the screen in 2 completely different ways.

I would have to say Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite. I thought Cu'aron did wonderfully with this one.
J

message 5: by Adam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Adam | 13 comments My comment:

None of the movies are good, and by the 7th one they are going to have to twist and turn everything, just because of not even half of the information left out. Where did Winkey go? In movie 5 does Harry know his father was a maker of the Mauraders map? How was Moody captured? Any why oh why could they not show Umbridge in St. Mungos. *clip clop* *clip clop*

message 6: by Ranata (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) The best movie so far has been Prisoner of Azkaban for me. The director did a great job drawing you in. The others are all too light for me. That one was pretty dark.

message 7: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

Kate (kate-schmate) Obviously Helena Bonham Carter is perfect as Bellatrix. Not only does she do deranged really well, she already has the wardrobe.

message 8: by Conrad (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

Conrad Yeah, I think they just had her wear her clothes from Fight Club.

Also, I think my favorite so far was Goblet of Fire.

message 9: by Angel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Angel | 5 comments Well, Goblet of Fire is my favorite book thus Goblet of Fire is my favorite movie.

Victor Krum! Yum Yum!!

message 10: by Libby (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Libby Johnson | 3 comments i don't really like any of the movies. they're okay, but they don't do the book justice. i was especially disapointed w/ the fourth movie, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. they took out a lot of the good begining parts of the book. that's when Harry saves Dudley from the dementors (spell?). how are they going to explain Dudley thanking Harry for saving his life? are they just going to completely cut that part out in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?

message 11: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Rachel harry saves dudley in book 5

message 12: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Kate (kate-schmate) Yeah and they did include that scene in the fifth movie. But in making the seventh film they could easily omit the Dursleys' goodbye, regardless. By and large the screenwriters, who are in an obvious predicament faced with the sheer number of pages, have been pretty ruthless.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the films, however abbreviated, though I don't expect much from the seventh, given that resolutions (in that we expect them to be totally satisfactory) are much more difficult to pull off in an adaptation than loose ends.

message 13: by Dayna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Dayna | 8 comments I completely agree with Kate. The screenwriters have been ruthless ... but there is no way they could include EVERYTHING from the books ... the movies would have to be two parts lasting three and a half hours each to pull that off.

I think my fave is the Sorcerer's Stone ... just because it's the first and therefore was the most magical to me. Plus ... they were able to follow the book well in that one ... with there being significantly less material.

message 14: by Kerry (The Roaming Librarian) O'Donnell (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Kerry (The Roaming Librarian) O'Donnell | 4 comments Honestly, the 5th movie was my favorite, because it by far captured the mood and emotion of the book the best. The actors really stepped up their skills, and that huge wizarding duel was incredible. Even though it may not be the book word-for-word, you can't honestly expect the writers to do that. I think this last movie did a lot for setting the tone of the final two films, and I'm excited to see what they come up with for the finale.

message 15: by Mike (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Mike D. | 7 comments The 3rd and 5th are easily my favorites. They seemed to capture the meaning and spirit of their books better than the others.

message 16: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I couldn't chose, but they are all bad compared to the books.

message 17: by Angelina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Angelina That's right. Especially the 5th one - a real disappointment although I didn't expect much. Perfect casting and effects but no spirit at all. The characters are so one-dimentional... Can't believe some of you think they've captured the spirit of the book....And the soundtrack... don't even want to start there. Not to mention that the story was brutally cut...

message 18: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Cindy (supercin721) | 26 comments Yeah...again...a bad chopping job. Great actors, great effects, great moments...I don't know if I'm as upset with the film or the medium. With films, it can, at times, be difficult to convey those emotions that are just artfully revealed in a book. Still, the film made really deap, meaningful relationships seem forced, unearned. They even cut out the MIRROR!!! How are they going to introduce that when Book 7 comes around? Poor Sirius. He just doesn't get his due!

message 19: by Mandy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Mandy | 10 comments I like all of them.

message 20: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments all the movies were disappointing becoz i so love the books. but if i have to pick the best movie it would have to be the first one since it introduced a lot of people who didn't read the book into harry potter's world. HP2 was quite long but there are still a lot of important stuffs let out. well, we can't have it all.

message 21: by Steph (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Steph (kitsune_chan) | 47 comments the third is my favorite movie, but the fourth and fifth are right behind it

message 22: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) My partner is going out of town tomorrow night for 8 days and I have decided that this will be a wonderful opporunity for me to rent 1 through 4. Especially after just finishing the book series a couple of months ago, I'm pretty excited to do this.

message 23: by ★Lalita ❤︎ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

★Lalita ❤︎ (lalita) I love the first one, it's where everything began and was so new.

message 24: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (ioanasaunt) | 63 comments My favorite movie is the second - Chamber of Secrets. It's the movie which was closest to the book. But who knows, maybe I'll like Half Blood Prince or Deathly Hallows better.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Until now I really like The 5th movie especially the part where Sirius dies, I might like the 6th movie more though!

message 26: by Swati (new)

Swati  (readerforevergmailcom) | 333 comments My favorite book is definitely the 5th.

message 27: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla VdL (dunnopris) I liked the third movie and the first one the best

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

third was my fav

message 29: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (beatrixkiddo) | 63 comments Joanne wrote: "My favorite movie is the second - Chamber of Secrets. It's the movie which was closest to the book. But who knows, maybe I'll like Half Blood Prince or Deathly Hallows better."

Joanne, I completely agree with you; your first two sentences could have been mine, LOL!

On the other hand, I don't think HBP could be better than CoS...maybe DH could be, you know, being in two parts and all, but so far, CoS is my favorite HP movie of all.

Angelina, Meghan: I also agree with you both, but this is Hollywood we're talking about; you guys camnot expect too much. And about the soundtrack, I simply don't understand why they let John Williams go... the only thing great about the third movie was the soundtrack (the rest was crap), and after that one, there was nothing good in the next two.

message 30: by Lady (new)

Lady (bestnewfantasyseries) | 49 comments The third is the one I watch most often..over and over..just love the story. Of course the book was the best..but as you all say..it's Hollywood and they have their reasons for changing things..I guess..

Lady Ellen
www.lady-ellen.com

message 31: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
The third movie is my favorite. It changes the book to make a good adaption, but still remains faithful to the mood and magic of the book.

message 32: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Urgh I hate all the movies.

message 33: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Jun 20, 2009 11:56AM) (new)

I don't mind the Patronuses in the PoA movie - I just don't like the (Jamaican?) skull on the Knight Bus.

message 34: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Courtney wrote: "Lorna wrote: "Urgh I hate all the movies."

You hate all the movies?!?!?!"

yep. shyte. :) some good actors though.

message 35: by Madeline (new)

Madeline What do you guys think of the HBP trailer? I thought it looked really good, but the HBP book was so incredible, there's no way they're going to pull it off!

I have one condition for the HBP movie; they MUST include the first chapter, with the Prime Minister being visited by Fudge and Scrimgeour. That was such a hilarious scene, and was perfect for introducing characters.

message 36: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Jun 21, 2009 12:27PM) (new)

I'm not sure which trailer you're referring to (maybe the one that's about 2:24 long - called trailer C on some sites?). I love all the trailers, featurettes and TV Spots that are out so far. (If anyone wants to see them, Trailer Addict has them all (except maybe a few TV Spots don't show up there far a while).

Link:
http://www.traileraddict.com/tags/har...

There are going to be a lot of changes from the book in the movie. The scene with Scrimgeour and Fudge is cut. The movie will show the bridge and Diagon Alley being attacked - this has been shown in most of the trailers.

For more info on the film: http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.p...

(It's pretty long, but it's very informative.)

message 37: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Great! Thanks for the links. I guess there are many trailers; I don't remember which ones I've seen.

Aw, the Prime Minister/Fudge/Scrimgeour scene is cut?? Shoot! That was my favorite part. :(

Lol, I'm wishing the movie had come out during the school year; my friends and I were going to skip school for a day to see it.

message 38: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Nikka (hannahashworth) Well, to me they just keep getting better and better. My current favorite movie is Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I just love all of the dark parts, especially the ending because I originally saw it in 3D. It was SO awesome!

message 39: by Shonali (new)

Shonali | 2 comments First one would be my choice. The actors look so cute in them.recent movies seem so dark